Screwed up

28 Days

       Church bells chime obnoxiously loud in my dream. I open my eyes. No, this isn't a dream. Looking at the gigantic clock-tower three feet away. I discover it's 12:00 AM..and I'm inside a graveyard, laying on a stone path, just casually taking a nap here. Nice.

    How much of today was real?

I clutched my chest.

Jungkook definitely wasn't a dream....I wouldn't have had this gaping hole in my heart...

I rose up, stretched and raised my arms above my head. 
I tried to reason. 
I whispered to myself, "That Death Demon Dude was all but just an illusion I fabricated to cope with the stressful events of today."

After dusting off my clothes I began walking, but then I heard maniacal laughing from the distance. I decided to run along the stone path to depart the graveyard. But I didn't stop running. After running ten blocks back home, I received a lecture from my parents about staying out late and jumped into my bed.

That chuckle was definitely a figment of my mind.  I have a wild imagination. Closing my eyes, I felt someone lift the covers and put it over my body. I slowly fell asleep.

I wake up the next morning feeling groggy and disoriented. Clutching my chest, I realized the heartache for Jeon Jungkook just wouldn't go away. I climbed out of bed, took a quick shower and put on a grey sweater, some old jeans and my cleanest boots. It felt right that I should dress plain and simple. It would be appropriate to, after everything that happened yesterday.

With great effort, I walked my regular path into school. The halls should have been gloomy, but everyone was full of life, even all of Jungkook's friends.

     That's strange, I thought to myself.
I went directly to my locker, picking up a textbook I needed for my first period English class. From a few feet away, I saw a boy that resembled Jungkook a lot at his locker. Furiously, I searched through my backpack to get my eye glasses and put them on. It was in fact....Jeon Jungkook. 
Thud. 
   My textbook fell from my hands. Everyone in the hallway turned around and looked at me. I began hyperventilating and pointed at Jungkook.
"OH MY LUHAN..you-you.. you're...alive."

Jungkook still didn't notice me and was busy talking to his crew. Besides my imagined encounter the devil, was Jungkook's death also apart of my dream too? Was yesterday all a dream?

I waved at him and smiled like a clown at a kids party. "Hiya Jungkook!!!"
He glimpsed in my direction and grimaced. He looked around, wondering who I was waving to.

Then, he looked away, afraid

Then, he looked away, afraid.

Then, he looked away, afraid

I grinned. "No, Jungkook, I'm actually waving to you. Hi! Good to see you alive and in the flesh!!" I giggled at my ironic pun.
His friends and the people in the hallway were confused with my creepy greeting, but I didn't care. Jeon Jungkook was alive. He's breathing.

I had class with Jungkook first period and my legs were shaking seeing him alive.

Mr Kang yawned and took a sip from his coffee mug.
"Does anyone know what the exact date is?"
I giggled to myself. Mr Kang is a phenomenal teacher but he's so forgetful. I always know the date. 
I blurted out, "November 8th."

Some kids chuckled across the room.
Jungkook laughed at my idiocy. "I'm pretty sure it's September 10.."
Ji hee whispered to her friend, loud enough for the class to hear, "Y/n has officially lost it."

I began hyperventilating.. Oh my god. Time really was reversed. I really DID make a deal with the Devil yesterday..or 28 days in the future. UGH I DON'T KNOW MY HEAD HURTS. This means I have only a few weeks to save Jeon Jungkook...

After class ended, I saw Jungkook with his clique in the hallway by his locker and I bravely went up to him.

"I need to speak with you."
It got awkwardly silent, and Jungkook turns around and looks at me. His friends even looked at us strangely. They all knew we would rather be caught dead than speaking in public.

Jungkook knitted his eyebrows together in confusion and then touseled his shiny, chocolate locks. 
"I have no idea what crazy thing you're planning, but I'd rather not get involved."
Bravely, I took his hand and tugged on it. He looked annoyed and scared.
"For real girl, what's wrong with you? Someone like you does not have the right to invade my personal space," he said as he pulled away.

I huffed, not caring how insanely annoying I looked.
Slowly, I inched my face closer to his and whispered, "This is about life or death."

His friends awkwardly giggled, and one of his nicer friends, Jin, encouraged him to go.
Jin laughed, "Just go with the crazy girl. She won't leave you alone dude."
Yes that's one of his nicer friends. Most of them wouldn't even dare speaking to me, unless if it had to do with their GPA.

I drag him along while he's yelling, "Help! She's ually harassing me!" and force him into a janitor's closet. 
He nervously laughs and his eyes wander around the claustrophobic atmosphere.

"Look, I know there's guys who are willing to do anything with girls, regardless of their physical appearance. I am one of those guys, but damn you're an exception. For real, you ain't my type."

I groaned. "THIS ISNT ABOUT HOOKING UP."
He looks relieved.
"Oh thank god. I felt like I was about to puke. I'd rather triple my course load then touch you."
"This is about life or death-what I said before. I know you're having dark thoughts and you will have them for the next 28 days until you get hurt."

Jungkook is puzzled, yet looks personally attacked.
"Get hurt? Are you threatening me? You can't make physical threats in school, it's illegal-"

"NO. Look, I said some mean stuff to you 28 days in the future, and I may have provoked a bad decision you made- I don't know. Anyways, I made a deal with the devil, and he reversed time, so I can save your life," I attempted to explain.

Jungkook looked at me like I was insane, which I most certainly was.
He dishevels his hair, and takes a deep breath.
"Save my life? From who?"
I inch again towards his face. 
"Save your life from you. You will be the one to take your own life."

He's shocked, and can't close his mouth for 20 seconds. He doesn't change his facial expression or blink.
I wave my hand in front of his face, and start clapping and snapping.

     "Hello?? I know you're JungShook, but I need you and I to work together here. Look, I don't particularly like you but I don't want anything tragic to happen to you, fool-"

     The door opened and someone entered into the closet. It was the Devil himself, Death. He was dressed in a fancy suit again, definitely something kids didn't wear in school.

     I exclaimed, "Behold, Jungkook! See this this guy wearing the prom date outfit? He's the devil I was talking about!" 
But Jungkook doesn't change his facial expression since before. It's almost like he's frozen in time....oh wait a second. I gulped.

"Really? You thought you could just tell him? Besides this being a form of cheating, you can actually trigger a person from the level of insanity you're telling him."
I started whining. "But it's not insanity!!! It's real life!" 
Death rolled his eyes. "Too bad. It's partly my fault for not clarifying, but I really didn't think you'd be THAT dumb to tell Jungkook."

    I inquired, "But why can't I warn him about what he's gonna do?"
"Telling a suicidal person about their impending doom won't completely stop them. You have to at least understand where the dark thoughts came from. My gosh, you have a lot to learn," he sighed and rubbed his temple.

I got down on my knees on the floor. Grasping my hands together, I pleadingly looked into his eyes.
"I'm so sorry PLEASE give me another chance I don't want to sell my soul to you and I don't want Jungkook to die either!"

"Fine...but," he sneered.
I realized that I was at his completely mercy.
"You have to grant me one wish. One favor. Anything I want in the future."

My heart beat erratically started increasing.
"Anything..?"
Death shrugged his shoulders. "Or you don't save Jungkook's life, and your soul is my property. Pick one or the other."
I grumbled, "Fine I'll do whatever you want."
Death smiled with his pure, box-shaped smile. That smile was so misleading. How could someone so deceptive have such an innocent grin?

"By the way my real name is Taehyung. Since it seems like you're gonna screw up a lot on this mission, we might as well be on a first name basis."
     He was right. I know I'm gonna screw it up a lot more in the future.

"So...another promise?"
I sighed.
"I promise not to tell Jungkook about his impending doom."
     Taehyung patted my head like I was his pet puppy.

"Good girl, now let's shake hands on it."