Pied Piper

28 Days

his situation isn't horrendous. I'll just be bored when I'm walking home with no music or apps to occupy me. 
And I won't be able to call my parents if anything terrible happens..but nothing could happen in a wealthy neighborhood in South Korea. I should be completely safe.
     Right?

I continued my path home. The street was poorly lit, but I couldn't use my phone for light. There was no one around and cars barely passed by.
Half-way into my journey, I heard footsteps behind me. Instinctively, I turned around and saw no one. I stopped walking and listened for sounds behind me. There was nothing.

After a few seconds, I resumed my path and heard the footsteps continue again. Whipping my head around, I once again saw no one. There was a street light on too and no fellow beings were present. I guess the footsteps were apart of my imagination?
Bending down to tie my shoe laces, I noticed a shadow of a figure on the ground.

   I looked up from the shadow, but there was no person above it. What the heck??

   I began running, with the footsteps also chasing me. Turning around again, all I could see was the shadow behind me on the ground, but no human figure. 
    Running for several blocks, I finally tripped over a huge crack in the pavement. I felt more pain than I did hours ago. It felt like I scraped my knee and reopened a wound from before.

    Hopefully, I could sit down for several minutes to catch my breath. But suddenly I heard loud laughter.
    The cackling was resonant and absolutely maniacal. I had no idea who it was, but it belonged to a woman's.

Was this shadow-person giggling at the pain of my fall?

    I screamed, got up, and limped while I was running away from the creature. Finally, I reached the street that my apartment was located in. Yes.

    The cackling behind me increased with the speed of my running. Fed up, I threw a rock behind me.

    "Ow!!!" screamed the shadow. The shadow's voice was high pitched. It sounded like a girl that was around my age.

I could defend myself against shadows with rocks? What?
   The footsteps scurried away from me but I wouldn't dare turn around to look. All I knew was the shadow was gone.
   I didn't stop jogging until I reached my apartment.

   I arrived to the building and gimped to my residence. I opened the door to the apartment flat. My little brother, Hyuk, was sprawled on the couch watching TV. I pounced and held him in my embrace.

    "Eww, don't touch me you fatty!" Hyuk, screamed, squirming in my grasp.

     "Are mom and dad home?" I asked, completely exasperated.

"I came home from the school bus at 6 PM and nobody was in our apartment.. You usually are, but lately you've been out doing who knows whatever. So no, I've been home alone for an hour." Hyuk pouted.

I squeezed him in my arms. "I'm so sorry, I won't let that happen again!"
"Why are you hugging me, you barely are ever touchy-feely. It's weirding me out." He cringed, grossed out from my affection.

"I know, it's just so much has happened..ugh I promise to not leave you alone again! Someone needs to be with you at all times." A tear rolled down on my cheek.

"Gosh, you're treating me like I'm nine years old. I've lived for an entire DECADE, I don't need a babysitter." Hyuk rolled his eyes.

"Yes you do! You're my precious little honey baby angel who needs protection!" I embraced him more.

He attempted to escape my grasp. "Uh, where has y/n been and who is this clone that has replaced her?"

I let go and tried to explain. "Look, when you get older you learn about some weird things..things you didn't think existed."
    Finally, I received Hyuk's attention. His face perked up and his eyes glimmered with curiosity.

"Can I know about these things?" He asked enthusiastically.
Oh shoot, why do I say this secret out loud? Gosh, I'm almost as dorky as Jungkook.

"One day, when you're older." I promised while patting his head.     
     Although I wish I could reveal the insanity I've endured, it's important to not drag him into this mess. He needs to be safe from all the supernatural madness until it's all over.

     We eat leftovers for dinner. I worked on homework in the living room until my parents arrived hours later. My family hung out together, discussing the day's events until it's 11 pm. My parents finally pestered for me to go to bed.

     I executed my hygiene routine in the bathroom. In my room, I changed into pajamas and crawled into the covers of my bed. For an hour, I tried to fall asleep. I tossed and turned, with the events of the day spinning through my head. It was too freezing for me to comfortably rest. There was a cool breeze coming from the window.

"Huh that's strange, I thought I didn't leave the window open." I was puzzled.
"You didn't," a deep voice growled from a few feet away.

     I press the button of the lamp next to my bed which turned the light on. I see Taehyung casually laying his arm against the window sill.

      "Dude! What the heck are you doing in my room?" I yell at him. 
     "Shhh!! You don't want to wake up your family right?" Taehyung puts his finger over his mouth.

     I rolled my eyes.

    "As I said before, can you please tell me why you're in my room? The room I freaking I sleep in? The room I didn't give you permission to enter!!" I whisper angrily.
    Taehyung takes a step closer to my bed.
    "I-I just wanted to know if you were okay," he stutters. Taehyung puts his head down in shame.

     ...He just wanted to know if I was alright?

    "I felt bad for leaving you earlier today. The journey home might have been pretty scary. It would have been nice to have someone walking home with you. But I ditched you instead."
My heart fluttered.

     "Well that's quite of a gentleman thing of you to do...." I admitted. Bashfully, I tossed my hair behind my head.

      "I'm sorry. Do you forgive me?" He stepped one foot closer, his big round eyes gazing straight into mine.

     "Uh-uh.." I looked down. Why was it difficult for me to look straight at him?
     "Its alright, I guess..." I muttered.
"But I endured some freaky stuff when I was walking home!" I changed the subject.

     "What do you mean?" Taehyung cocked his head to the side, confused.

    "There was this shadow figure that was chasing me. I thought it was my imagination at first, but it laughed at me when I tripped."
Taehyung listened intently.
"And you saw no human figure? Just a shadow?"
I nodded.

"Ugh I was right. There are demons following you," he sighed.

"Demons can take shapes of shadows. But they can also be in form of humans too. They sometimes even walk around us and look like regular people," he further explained.

"Can they hurt me?" I asked in fear. 
"I don't think so...as long as you don't interpret their business or activities."
    "But I didn't? This demon just chased me after you left!" I exclaimed.

"Exactly, they can follow you. But they can't physically touch you if you don't disturb them." Taehyung pointed out.

       "I guess that's true. But I still threw a rock at the demon, and it shrieked in pain." I shrugged.

"It was hurt? Demons can't be harmed from humans that way! Unless if my father is breaking the 4th dimension..." Taehyung paced back and forth, while muttering to himself.
"What do you mean?" I asked, wide-eyed.

"There is a 4th dimension where demons exist. Demons are always all around humans all the time but can't really disturb them unless if a human does a ritual or another supernatural way to initiate communication. But it seems Satan may be breaking that dimension wall down for humans and demons to physically interact easier..." Taehyung propped his chin in his hand.

"Uh well that for me...wait! What about my family? Will they be harmed if this dimension wall is broken down?" I asked.

"No way. Demons can only harm teenagers and young adults. Anyone younger than 13 or 40+ won't be affected," Taehyung reassured me.

"And why is that?" 
"Well kids are too young to be corrupted by the evil of demons. So it's a rule for demons to stay away from the youth. And adults are already too corrupted to be affected by the tricks of demons."
"Ohh...so the perfect target are the people who've gone through some pain, but not enough pain," I realized.
    "Precisely." Taehyung nodded.

    "But how am I supposed to keep Jungkook and I safe? The wall between humans and demons is being torn down. And I'm also a target of your father's."
     "I don't know. All I gotta say is...HWAITING!" Taehyung pumped his fist in the air and gave me a cheesy grin.
I raised my eyebrow.

"Okay, but I advise you to do your best. Evil always attracts good souls. I wish I could always be around to help you, but I still have to do my job. In the meantime, I'll try to figure something out." Taehyung reassured me, while patting my shoulder.

"Alright then..." That didn't really help me at all. It was a quiet for a few seconds. I needed advice that could actually assist my troubles.
"Should I not go out at night then?" I ask.

"There's a common misconception humans have that the night draws out more demons. There's actually no difference between the amount of monsters present during the day or night." 
"So you're telling me that I'm equally screwed at both times of the day? Is there any helpful advice you can provide me?" I begged.

"If there's anything..I'd say demons are really dumb. They rely on physical strength, but misuse that power. They try to trick humans all the time, but they're even easier to fool. The only reason why they're able to trick humans is because they practice it all the time. Demons spend hundreds of years mastering the art, but still, their IQ level is pretty low," Taehyung chucked.

     "So I can't beat them with strength, but I can beat them with my intelligence?"
     "Precisely." He pointed out.
     "But I'm not that clever!" I whined.
     "You don't have to be a genius to outsmart a demon."
     "Uh well this information is somewhat helpful..I guess..." I scratched my head.

    He sighs and then walks closer towards me until he was right next to the edge of my bed.
      "And y/n I think you're pretty street smart. You can do this." Taehyung lowers his head closer to mined.
     He gazed at me, adoringly. His eyes displayed flickering red flames. Taehyung didn't blink and the warm air from his mouth tickled my face.
I was completely flustered.

      "U-uh you aren't allowed to be on my bed!" I squeaked, while turning my head away from his stare.

      "Don't worry. I'd never sit on a bed with a girl, especially if it wasn't with her permission. What sort of sleaze would do that?" Taehyung chuckled.
     "Uh, actually...."
      "Y/n are you okay? Your face is red like a bright strawberry."

       I put my hands on my cheeks. They were flaming hot.
     "I wasn't able to sleep because my bedroom was so warm and then you woke me up! Can you leave now? Please?" I pleaded. 
     I removed my covers and got up from the bed. Grabbing his arm, I gestured the window to him. Taehyung rested one of his arms behind his neck.

     "It still we didn't even get to kiss earlier..."

     "Wh-what?" I croaked.

     "Earlier. When the demon created noise behind the tree and interrupted us. It's tragic. I bet your lips are really soft too," Taehyung pouted. 
    "BOY WHAT YOU SAY NOW??" I screeched.

     "Guess we can't do that now. It'd be weird, especially with all this information you're trying to process. Maybe later, huh?" Taehyung his eyebrow, flirtatiously.

     My heartbeat was rapidly increasing by the second.

"Later...?"

    "Well I am your boyfriend. Fake boyfriend to be exact. But we have to put on a show on for the world, you know. So perhaps one day we can resume the scene from earlier," Taehyung says as he places a lock of my hair behind my ear.

     I was completely frozen. Why was I enchanted with everything he said? There were some guys who flirted with me in the past and they had no effect on me. But his words drew me in like a pied piper, and I'm under his spell.

    He smiled at me, his pearly whites shining against his bronzed glow.
    "I'll see you later, y/n."

    Taehyung climbs out of the window, falls backwards, and disappears into thin air before hitting the ground. His powers are back and he's being a show off again.

     I sit on the bed and try to absorb everything he told me. But all I could think about was the amount of heat his body radiated in my room. And how nice it must feel to have his lips pressed against mine.
    Oh dear....  
    I may have developed a crush on the Devil. And it just won't go away.