Real Life

28 Days

Jungkook chuckled.
"No I promised not to give you a piggy back ride? Is this a piggy back ride?"
I realized the close proximity of our faces, his honey brown eyes two inches away from mine, and shyly look away. 
Jungkook had his mouth so close to my neck that I could feel the warmth of his breath, his lips almost touching my skin. He's firmly grasping my waist and legs, and whispers into my ear, "That's what I thought."

       My cheeks became instantly hot and I couldn't make eye contact with him. It was difficult to ignore how close our faces and bodies were, as he was walking. For a few minutes, I almost even forgot the pain in my leg. Almost. 
          I finally decided to break the awkward silence in between us.
       "So where do we go now?"
       "Well, we can't go to your house or mine because Namjoon and his goons will find us..."
       "Jungkook, I really gotta get this bullet out of my leg," I whined. I began sweating profusely-my body was finally responding to the bullet. The warm blood pouring out out of my calf was the only thing I could think about.

"I know, the longer we wait to treat your wound properly, the more likely blood poisoning will ensue," Jungkook frowns.
"Blood poisoning?" I choke.
"I probably shouldn't have told you that..." he purses his lips together.
"Jungkook, we have to get this bullet as soon as possible!" I cry. 
      "I know. But we have to get some sort of transport first. And all my cars are at my house which we can't go to..."

      "How about the bus?" I ask.
       "The bus? You know how to use it?"
      I roll my eyes. "You've never taken the bus before?"
       "Namjoon says that's where the poor travel by," he shrugged his shoulders.
      "Uh, I'm not poor. My financial status is just slightly below average."

Jungkook chuckled. "Of course, I sincerely apologize."
I yelled out, "I don't think I'll make it. My calf is killing me!" 
     Is this the end?

       "Y/n, just tell me where to go. We'll be safe in no time. And just focus on something else besides your pain. I believe in you."
      I instruct Jungkook the directions to the bus stop and check my phone to see the bus schedule. The bus should there in 20 minutes. We should make it.
         I was biting my lip, on the verge of passing out. The agony was too much. But then something, besides my bullet wound, was bothering me.

      "Can you stop breathing?" I beg Jungkook.

       Jungkook raises his eyebrow in confusion.
     "Not like that. I mean you're breathing awfully close to my face and I'm clausterphobic. Your face is literally an inch away from mine," I scrunch my nose.
When Jungkook giggled, my heart began racing faster than it already was.

          "Do I make you nervous?" Jungkook moves his head so close that we were nose to nose.
          "No. You invade my personal space," I turn away, which doesn't even help because now our cheeks were pressed together.

         "You know...if I turn my head," his hot breath was tickling my neck again.
          "I could kiss you."

        My eyes widen and I pull my head as far back as I can go.
         "I have a boyfriend, you rascal!" I yell at him.
          "I know. I'm just playing."

   There is no word to describe the abundance of anger fuming throughout my body. If he knew that Taehyung and I were dating, why would Jungkook say these things? Is he encouraging me to cheat on Taehyung? Or is this just one of his many mind games?

        It was quiet for a few minutes but I was studying his face. He was biting his lip, trying to hold in a laugh. It really pissed me off.
       "What's so funny, Coconut Boy?"
       "Oh, nothing just your short temper. It's quite amusing," Jungkook chuckles, while shaking his head.
       I furrowed my eyebrows.
"I do not have a short temper! You are an insensitive jerk for crossing the boundaries between us. Respect the fact that I'm taken by a man and get lost!" I huffed.

"Do you really want the person who's carrying you to safety to 'get lost'?" Jungkook loosened his grip on my waist and legs. He swung my body back and forth, like he was actually going to throw me.
"U-uh, just be quiet. You know what I mean," I demanded.
Jungkook snorted, satisfied by my answer.

"Oh, look we're already here." He checks his watch. "And there's only two minutes until the bus arrives."
"How did time go by that fast..." I wondered.

Ohh.....Now I understand why Jungkook was saying intrusive, infuriating words.

       "You were distracting me this whole time so I 
would avoid thinking about my leg..." I realized. 
Jungkook raises his eyebrow.
"Perhaps."
        "You knew I have a short temper so you used it against me. It's better I focus on my anger than I focus on my agony." 
        "Well you figured out my plan so I guess we'll have to try something different, eh?" Jungkook smiled.

I was astonished.
"I'm going to be honest Jungkook. I've been quite confused by you all throughout my life," I admit, looking directly in his Bambi brown eyes.
"I could say the same about you," Jungkook moved closer to my face.

"You get all these awards every year for being an obedient citizen, model student in school. But you're so much more than that. You do truly amazing things, but you do it secretly. Why?" I tilted my head in confusion.
"Well, adults think being a good kid is doing your homework. Listening to your superiors. Preaching about anti-bullying," 
I nod, hanging on to every word he says.

"But in real life, standing up to bullies makes you the ultimate victim of bullying. In real life, if you don't laugh alongside the popular kids, you're an outcast, you're a loser. In real life, you give someone your trust, they break it. So why not hide the actual good deeds you do? It means a lot more to me, than it does to the world. I don't need to show off my acts of kindness. Society will applaud for them only because I'm in a position of power. If I were a kid with no money, no good grades, no friends, no one would even care. So why do it openly? I don't need a bunch of fake jerks applauding me for everything I do."

I'm shocked. He's right about everything. I gulp, saying the words that I shouldn't have.
"I guess me and you are different in that way then? You do amiable acts secretly, meanwhile I'm always loud about it. A bit of a show off."
Jungkook shakes his head. "We're more alike than you think. You do everything I wish I had the courage to do. You don't give a damn about your reputation, losing fake friends. I'm more subtle about my deeds meanwhile you're a full on tornado. You help people, but yet piss off all authority figures."

I nod my head, absentmindedly tightening my arms around his neck.
"You know, the way you don't give a damn about what others think about you...it makes you really hot." Jungkook admits.
"How am I hot? It's freezing outside!" I shiver.

      Jungkook snickers at my naivety but he realized I was serious. 
Jungkook places his palm against my forehead.
"Wait, y/n are you okay?"
I shiver uncontrollably. "My body is starting to feel numb...." I bury my face into his sweatshirt.
"I've never felt this cold..." I'm barely audible.
Jungkook shakes me. "Y/n hold on. Please for god's sake!"

The bus arrives.
"Jungkook!! I can't take this suffering anymore," I sob into in his chest.
He enters the bus, slides my metro card and sits us down. I'm seated next to him, with my head propped against his neck.
I begin screaming. The bus was mostly empty and the driver didn't even seem to care. He had his headphones in, which blocked the noise.

Jungkook buries my head into his upper body and ruffles my hair.
"Please y/n don't die on me. Don't scream either. You'll be alright." 
I press my head further into his chest. His thudding heartbeats were a source of comfort for me.

I whisper to him, "You know what your heart sounds like..."
"What?" He asks.
"Rain. Each second your heart thumps, it sounds like the pitter patter of rain against the wood chips. When I was playing all alone at recess, the rain came...."
"When we were kids? Oh that's such a long time ago, y/n," Jungkook mutters.

"I never thanked the rain..." I continued.
"Y/n, you're making no sense. You can't thank the rain."
"Yes I can. I can thank the rain, because it was you, Jungkook. You're my rain."

I slowly drift into unconscious against Jungkook's chest. I didn't mind if this was the end for me, because Jungkook was alive. I knew he was because I can hear his heart beating fast like rain falling from the sky.