Sleeping Ain’t Realistic

28 Days

     I lay down in bed and can't believe how I'm feeling.

     "I actually really like Taehyung," I whispered to myself.

      But why? Although I did find Taehyung attractive since the day I met him, my feelings now toward him were completely different. Originally I found him frightening and inhuman..now I find everything about him charming. I'm still scared of him, but not in the same way as before. 

I was scared of my feelings for him.

 

      I check the time by looking at my phone. It's 12:17 AM on Friday. 

    So it's only been four days. 

     It's been four days since the mission began. Four days since I started falling for Taehyung. Twenty four more days until time is out and Jungkook may....

I toss my head over. I can't think about that right now.

 

 I force myself to sit upright in my bed. But no, I have to think about this! I have to think about the consequences of my actions. I didn't time travel for nothing. It is imperative for me to save Jungkook. 

It's also imperative for me to not waste time. I really cared for Taehyung, even though it's only been a few days. I've never felt like this for a guy before. But Jungkook was even more important to me.

 

Well not in that way, just in this particular situation.

 

Maybe if the circumstances were different I could focus on the relationship I had with Taehyung. But the clock was ticking, and I needed to find out where Jungkook's morbid thoughts originated from. What caused my childhood friend to not feel worthy enough to live.

 

     Taehyung was my crush right now...but was any of this even practical? I was a mere mortal and he was the offspring of Satan. Our genetic makeup was completely different. Our lifestyles were on opposite sides of the spectrum.

I was just Taehyung's play-thing and I bet he doesn't feel the same way. He's way out of my league and probably had tons of relationships before me. I was just his current object of interest.

 

Even if things did work out...what would I be? The Devil's bride that resided in the Underworld? Wait.. why was I thinking about being his bride? Why was I even thinking about marriage...????!

 

I hold my head in my hands and rub my eyes. It's likely I'll pass out from stress. Finally I do faint, but wake up just a few hours later.

 

Awakening with a huge headache, I check the time. It's 4:25 AM. So I had about 4 hours of asleep. I attempted to rest again, but my mind was bursting with all the information I was trying to process since yesterday. I usually didn't have a problem with sleep, but it's been difficult for me since I time traveled.

 

      I get up, showered and throw on some sweatpants and a t-shirt. The apartment seemed so much more smaller than before. I felt claustrophobic in this tight environment. I decided to get some caffeine from the local shop that opened at 5:00 AM. 

       I put on some sneakers, exit my apartment and begin my path. It's still mostly dark out. As I'm walking, there's footsteps trailing behind me. Don't tell me it's another demon. 

      I begin running and run head first into another figure. We both fall on the ground.

 

     "Watch where you're going!" growls the distressed man.

     "Why don't you watch where you're going you punk..." I open my eyes and see a muscular teenager sprawled on the ground right across from me.

 

     "Oh hi, Jungkook."

      I sit on the pavement, embarrassed, while he's rubbing his temple. He picks himself up, looks at me, and shakes his head.

     "Why am I not even surprised that it was you who pushed me on the ground?"

 

     "I did not! I was running away from someone when I accidentally bumped into you-"

     "You were running away from someone?" Jungkook raised his eyebrow.

     "Oh did I say running away? I meant tag. I was playing tag and wasn't looking carefully when I ran into you," I lied.

     "Oh tag? At 4:47 AM? With whom?" Jungkook snorted, clearly not believing me.

 

      "With Taehyung, duh," I answered confidently.

 

      "Taehyung, huh?" I guess I'll join then," Jungkook decided.

     "What?" I choked.

 

      "Well I've been looking for new ways to exercise and this seems like a perfect way to challenge myself. Taehyung doesn't seem like much of an athletic guy, but I'd like to see how much stamina he has." Jungkook cracked his neck and smirked.

 

      "Oh, well alright then." I nodded my head. I wasn't in the mood to argue with his logic.

     "So where will we going then?" Jungkook asked.

     "Huh? We are going to somewhere together?" I pointed at him, then back at me.

 

     "I mean yeah Taehyung is the tagger, you're the tagee and I'm now also the tagee but he doesn't know. So if we see Taehyung, we can explain to him that I also joined the game. We should stick together ...unless if you can call him right now?" Jungkook asked.

     Shoot, I never even got Taehyung's number.

 

"Oh call him I Uh- I forgot my phone," I squeaked. Because the universe loves me so much, my phone began started ringing.

 

"And what contraption would that be vibrating in your pocket?" Jungkook asked, propping his chin in his palm.

"Oh that." I put my hands in my pocket and take the device out. I pretend to be astonished that I found my phone.

"Wowza! I guess I did bring it with me!" I put my mouth over my hand, trying to look shocked.

 

"You at acting..anyways, are you gonna call Taehyung, then?" Jungkook crossed his arms and tilts his head.

 

"Uh, you see...my phone's data got wiped out yesterday. So I sort of lost Taehyung's number," I made an excuse.

 

"But don't you have his number memorized?"

"Why the heck would I know Taehyung's number?" I ask with confidence.

"Isn't he your boyfriend?" Jungkook snapped back.

Dummy of the year award goes to me.

 

"Huh oh yes he is... we haven't been dating that long..it's only been like what 5 weeks now?" I look at my watch. 

"Time has flown so fast..yeah so I mean of course I wouldn't know his number," I explained.

 

"Sure you guys haven't dated that long..but I always thought you were the type of person where relationships actually meant something. Guess I was wrong. You're just like everyone else in our generation." Jungkook rolled his eyes.

 

 Ouch. I was gonna tell him to shut up, because I wasn't even telling the truth about my dating life. But that would probably make me look like a psychopathic liar.

    "Well look who's talking Mister I Love Seeing Shirtless Girls," I snap at him.

 

     "Hey! I never said I enjoyed it! It was just the peculiar situations I was in I had to deal with it."

Jungkook pouted.

      "And what situations would that be leading you to being with tons of women without shirts?" I raise my eyebrows.

     "I-you know what! Just forget it," Jungkook groaned and ruffled his shiny locks in frustration. He was turning to walk away, but I grab his arm to stop him.

    "Hey! Aren't we gonna stick together? At least until we see Taehyung?"

 

     Of couse I wasn't actually playing with Taehyung, but I needed to be with Jungkook. Even if it was just for a few minutes before school starts, every minute with him was precious. Every minute I was with him could help him to change his future.

 

    Jungkook exhaled a deep breath. "Fine sure whatever. Where you wanna go?"

      "So the first place we're gonna is the coffee shop," I replied without thinking. I was beyond tired and couldn't handle the lack of sleep I was on.

 

     We finally began walking towards the shop. For every step he took, I had to take two steps to keep up with him. His figure was so broad in comparison to mine.

       "Coffee shop? Are you really that tired y/n?" He strides next to me.

       "Yeah I got 4 hours of sleep last night. I'm beyond exhausted." I yawned to emphasize my lack of rest.

     "Oh c'mon 4 hours isn't even that bad," Jungkook snorted, while stuffing his hands in his pockets.

"You've gotten less? On a school day?"

"I do 2 hours if I'm lucky. All nighters twice every week. Then I make up for it, by sleeping til noon on the weekends. Getting 8 hours of sleep on a school day? Not realistic."

 

     We continue walking next to each other. We cross a Main Street that barely contained any cars. It was too early in the morning for it to be busy.

 

     "Damn, lack of rest is unhealthy..why Jungkook? Why are you even up right now?"

     "How could you be able to sleep? Do you not feel the pressure from our parents to be perfect? The anxiety from our teachers who want us to be mindless robots in class?" Jungkook inches towards my face with every word.

 

"I mean yeah, it's rough but-"

 

"Do you not see the news? The politicians who lie everyday? The nation's leaders who promise they're doing the best but are actually making fun of you? Does that not haunt your brain every night before you get locked in a dungeon that we call school?" Jungkook yells with aggravation.

 

      Damn, is this what he thinks about all the time? I study his face and notice the dark underbags underneath his eyes. Now that I think about it, he always looks exhausted everyday. I just never thought about it before because Jungkook's really HOT.

 

     OH DEAR LORD DID I THINK THAT?!

     I mean TAEHYUNG's hot..Jungkook is NOT. Let's just pretend I never even thought he was. I'm the type who'd like two guys at a time...right?

 

      "Yeah, Jungkook it , but we still gotta live our lives-"

"Live our lives? Do you not see everybody's hypocrisy everyday? Does that not infuriate you? If it doesn't mean anything to you, you're not normal. You're abnormal!"

 

      He bent down so close, that our foreheads were grazing each other. His eyes were gazing down at mine. We were as close as Taehyung was to me last night. Instead of looking at me with adoration though, his eyes displayed disappointment.

But somehow this moment felt more intimate. Even though he looked disgusted with me, I couldn't help but feel nervous. I moved my head away and stepped an inch away from him.

 

"It does mean something to me Jungkook. Look, I'm sorry I was insensitive about it." I looked down in shame.

 

     He huffed a breath and coughed awkwardly.

     "I'm sorry okay. I-I just. Ugh this has been a stressful week and I snapped on you." He looked away and fiddled with his thumbs.

     What stress would that be? School, grades, home life? Or something even darker?

It was awkwardly quiet while we walked to the coffee shop. I had so many questions to ask, but I didn't have the courage to ask him. Not yet.