Chapter 2

A Mate's Struggle

Hoseok arrived with Jisung and Hyunjin a couple days later. "Oh, where's Jeongin?" Asked Kisu as he opened the door. "He's finishing school," said Hoseok. "Right, he's only 16," Kisu said, moving to let them in before closing the door behind him. "Guys they're here!" He shouted in Korean before repeating it in English.

Jinhong ran into the room. "Oh, hello," he said. Changsun walked into the room with Jeonguk and Youngjae and Jooheon not too far behind. "Ah! A familiar face!" Said Youngjae. "Hey," said Hoseok. "How long's this mission?" Jeonguk asked in English. "A few months," said Hoseok. "We'll be all over South Korea but," he said, shrugging. "Kid's first international mission?" Asked Kisu. "It's too bad Jeongin couldn't make it," Hyunjin said, scratching the back of his head.

"Eh, there's talk of a rookie team getting sent to Italy," said Jeonguk as everyone went to sit down in the livingroom. "Well, when Hongseob was here talking about it anyway," he said. "Any specified rookie group?" Asked Hoseok. "No, but Hongseob is getting sent after his missions, we have the usual groups going, I think Chan and his group is getting sent this time around," said Jeonguk. "Oh, yeah I heard they were becoming well known in Europe," said Hyunjin. "Sungjin talks about it all the time," he said.

"I wish we could understand a little bit of this conversation," Jinhong said, sighing. Changsun chuckled some. "We gotta deal with this often, especially now since Hongseob is part of a faction," he said. "I think you realize now how the English speaking people feel," Kisu said with a chuckle. "It's not so bad," Hoseok said, testing his Korean. "Learning a new language takes a bit," he said.

"Ah, your Korean is getting better," Kisu said in English. Hoseok grinned. "You can thank Cory for that one," he said in English. "I can hold a decent conversation now," he said.

"What school did Jeongin go to?" Asked Jooheon. "The one Changkhyun finished," said Hyunjin. "Oh, that one," said Jooheon. "Had some fond memories of going to that one," he said, chuckling some. "Humans, they're interesting creatures," he said. "Says the one who was human at some point," Jeonguk said with a snort.

"It's amazing to see how times change as you live through the decades," said Kisu. "Yeah," said Jeonguk. "So what's he going to school for?" He asked. "I'm not sure," said Hyunjin. "We were all home schooled so this is the first time he's in a public setting," he said. "It shouldn't be too hard then, granted he isn't exposed while doing every day activities," he said. "He got to skip P.E., making up some excuse about his immune system being weak or something," said Jisung. "Did they buy it?" Asked Youngjae. "Yeah," said Jisung. "Had to get a note from Joshua so," he said, shrugging.

"Apparently there was this scare where Changkhyun had found his other mate in a human," said Jooheon. "Nothing really happened there," he said. "She'd be living with us if it were true," he said. "What happened to her?" Asked Kisu. "She went to college, she was our next door neighbor for a while," said Jooheon. "After high school a lot of Changkhyun's old friends went to college," he said. "Time does fly by fast," said Jeonguk. "Mm," said Kisu.

"So where's your first mission?" Asked Jinhong, to which Kisu translated. "Here in Daegu actually," said Hoseok. "Wait, here?" Asked Changsun. "Huh, must've not been important enough for Hongseob," he said. "You have to remember, he's being sent to Italy after his own missions so he probably got his near Incheon," said Jeonguk. "We won't try to intrude for too much longer," Hoseok said in Korean. "We'll be doing the mission tomorrow then we're off to Seoul," he said.

"No need to leave immediately," Kisu said in English. "It's nice to be able to communicate in something other than Korean," he said, chuckling some. "Ah, I guess so," said Hoseok. "It'd be nice to understand conversations for once," said Youngjae. "Hey, we have been teaching you," said Jeonguk. "Can't blame us for not following it," he said. "I'm actually starting to understand it a little," said Jooheon. "Only because when I was with Shownu and Hyungwon when they went on missions as the two of them they spoke mostly Korean, I guess more out of habit," he said.

"So what are we gonna do until we head out?" Asked Jisung. "Get some sleep first," said Hoseok as he scratched the back of his head. "At least, to sleep off the jet lag," he said. "You can have Hongseob's room," said Jeonguk. "We don't really have a guest room so you'd end up here in the livingroom but," he said, shrugging. "Since Hongseob isn't here you get his room," he said. "Fair enough," said Hoseok. Hyunjin and Jisung nod. "It's not the biggest room in the house though, he got the smallest because everyone else are mates," said Jeonguk. "Fine with us, we don't take up much room," said Hyunjin. "Alright then," said Jeonguk.

Kisu laid in bed that night, looking up at the ceiling. "Something on your mind?" Asked Youngjae. "Mm," said Kisu. "I'll be alright though," he said. "Do you dream in Korean?" Youngjae asked suddenly. "Most of the time yes," said Kisu. "Do you dream in French?" He asked as he turned his head to look at Youngjae. "I don't remember," Youngjae said, sighing. "It'd be cool to," came Jooheon's voice. "At least you two know other languages," he said.

"We are teaching you Korean," said Kisu. "You should be able to pick up on some of our conversations now at least," he said. "Yeah," said Youngjae.

"Did you have your own room here?" He asked. "I did," said Kisu. "This was my room," he said. "Why did you get the largest room?" Asked Youngjae. Kisu snorts. "Jeonguk's room is larger than mine," he said. "Then again, he has Jinhong and Changsun," he said. "I have you two, but you don't need as much room as they do," he said. "Hm," said Youngjae.