A Good Friend

The Perfect Ship
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The wedding continued.  It was time for the representative of the groom's family and friend, Kai to step forward to offer his congratulatory speech to Taemin and Naeun.  Kai was told a day before that  he had to prepare a speech for the couple. That had him scrambling into Suho's room, digging through his collections of literature for inspiration.  He was a man of few words, yes, definitely very few words and this sudden responsibility had him clawing his head in frustration.  He had also heard that it was a traditional Korean wedding so did that mean he was supposed to write it in Hanja?  His eyes widened in despair with this realization.  He stuck both his hands in his jean's pockets and started walking rapidly in circles.  On the other side of the living room, D.O had eyed him wearily as he paced around for at least the better part of an hour.  Finally, D.O could take no more.  He stood up from his seat at the dining table and walked towards the still-pacing Kai.  Annoyance defined D.O's every motion as he reached out with his arms, grabbing Kai's broad shoulders, physically, forcing him to stop in his tracks.  Kai looked down to see a pair of eyes narrowed dangerously to slits, silently, staring at him.  He felt sheepish and fought against a sudden desire to dodge.  Wordlessly, Kai appealed to D.O and they stood there, holding a silent conversation.  

 

Hyeong!  Kai's eyes pleaded.

 

What is the big deal here?!  D.O's eyebrows raised.

 

I just can't do this.  You know I'm not good at this.  Kai's eyes continued to plead.

 

Then why in the world did you agree to it, Idiot?!  D.O's eyes tightened.

 

...  Kai could only stare at D.O with puppies weeping in his eyes. 

 

 

D.O finally heaved a heavy sigh and stood back, defeated. 

 

" Alright, what do you want me to help you with, exactly?" D.O asked, looking none too pleased.

 

That was all Kai needed.  He pounced on D.O, almost begging him to write the speech on his behalf but D.O simply shook his head.

 

"You know Taemin hyeong a lot better than I, I can never write a speech as good as yours can be, Jong-in. " 

 

"But..." 

 

Before Kai could put in a word, edge-wise, D.O went on, "Just write what you feel."  

 

And with that, D.O turned and walked back to his chair at the dining table.  He went back to rolling his kimbap but looked up almost instantly to deliver the final warning with a glare that spoke volumes.  Annoy me again with your pacing and I will personally see to it that you'll never walk again, it read, in bold.  Kai gulped.  He opened his mouth but decided he liked his life too much to risk annoying D.O again.  He sat down heavily on the sofa and looked dejectedly at the floor.  He had almost given up but what D.O said had started him thinking.  He took out his phone and began typing.  Twenty minutes and a whole lot of re-writes later, he finally managed to whip up the speech for Taemin today.  Kai stood before Taemin and Naeun, a little nervous, fished out his phone and began giving his speech to the couple.

 

Suho had wanted to know what Kai had written for Taemin but despite his insistent coaxing, he never got to see it, so when Suho heard Kai's speech, he had the look of a proud Dad.  It was genuine, it was funny and it was moving.  He beamed and clapped loudly when Kai was done.  He was still patting Kai's back when Eunji stood up for her turn to give her congratulatory speech.  He turned to look at the girl standing in front, holding a folded piece of paper, and his heart moved, just that little.  Eunji laughed nervously as she joked.

 

"I am a traditional kind of person, so I wrote it on paper instead, haha."  

 

Suho didn't know why but that little detail tugged at his heart.  He smiled, half to himself and half at her.  Eunji continued. 

 

"Naeun-ah, you and I have been eonnie and dongsaeng for almost 2 years and 9 months.  It feels like it was just yesterday when I was having a hard time in an unfamiliar Seoul and you were also having a difficult time too.  But time went by so quickly and one day, you are getting married.  Out of all the members, I am the first to send you off.  This is really an ho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter