Butterflies, Again

The Perfect Ship
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As hyeong and eonnie, and as representatives of the bride and groom's families, both Suho and Eunji was arranged to seat right beside one another to receive formal greetings from Taemin and Naeun.  While on one hand, Suho felt his left arm tingle because he could feel how close she was to him; on the other, he was fully aware of the cameras on that one end of the room and that had effectively cooled any reaction he might have had toward her.  But it didn't stopped him from noticing that Eunji's satoori would pop out, unwarned, from time to time.  It didn't stopped him from chuckling every time it happened.  He hadn't found a girl who spoke the way she did.  She exuded an effusive charm he couldn't quite get enough of and had somehow made her satoori more than a little cute.  Her laughter was contagious and open.  He would laugh when she laughed and when she spoke, her voice had a unique timbre that set it apart from most.  It was genuine and warm.  Simply put, it was unpretentious.  He wanted to get to know her the more he got to know her.  Alright, he admitted it.  He found her...attractive.  Maybe not the pretty, big eyed, quiet type he had always preferred but Eunji was still an attractive, authentic and real girl.  No, not a girl. He realized. But a woman.  A woman he now wished he could be close to and know more about.

 

As the shoot went on. Suho had felt something he had not felt for a while now when faced with the opposite –relaxed.  He felt so comfortable with her that he wasn't even thinking when he picked up a preserved pollack which was used as props for the ceremony and got Eunji to follow suit.  He indicated that the two, long, preserved fishes should mouth-to-mouth, just to show Taemin and Naeun how a proper 'red-date kiss' should be done.  Ever quick on the uptake, Eunji got her dried prop to kiss Suho's equally dehydrated fish and, immediately, the room exploded in bouts of laughter.  But the moment Suho put down his dried pollack, he could feel a gallon of blood rushing up his ears.  He only realized, after the fact, that their actions were, erm, highly suggestive, to say the least.  He stole a quick glance at Eunji but noted her nonchalance.  That woman was as calm as a cat.  In an effort to hide his sudden awkwardness, Suho pretended to play with the two poor fishes in a rather stiff silence, hoping to God that the awkwardness he was feeling wasn't too obvious.  He stole another glance at Eunji who seemed oblivious to the man sitting right beside her, his insides fluttering with butterflies.  Suho didn't know what he had hoped to see but watching her smile in continued ease, he didn't know if he should feel relieved or disappointed.  

 

It was around noon when they had completed filming the bulk of the traditional rituals.  They were then told that a scrumptious lunch had been prepared for them.  They took a quick break as the tables were laid with a lavish spread.  Eunji was talking with Naeun, all the while, helping her smooth her hanbok, adjusting the little accessory on her hair and smiling widely.  She was having a good time and she could see Naeun was too.  She was nodding her head to Naeun's unusually animated description of how the preparation had started at 4.00 that morning when her phone buzzed.  It was on silent mode.  She took it out of her blazer pocket and glimpsed it quickly.  Instantly, her expression softened.  She held up a hand to Naeun, apologetically and moved across the room over toward the entrance. 

 

"Yoboseyo."  Eunji answered.

 

"Eunji-ya.  Where are you?"  The voice over the phone was melodic.  Eunji smiled as she heard that voice.

 

"Oh, oppa.  At a shoot with Naeun.  Why?"

 

"Ahh...I see.  Thought I let you know that it's confirmed. You're one of the leads for that musical!"

 

"Really?!"  Eunji's was delighted!  She had wanted to try her hand at another musical and this was great news to her.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter