Trouble In Paradise

The Paradox of Loving Her
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“I hope you like it.” Tiffany said with a smile as we walk hand in hand inside Nyaman Gallery.

After doing tremendous outdoor activities yesterday, Tiffany and I agreed to stay indoors this time. When I asked her if she know someplace to visit, she immediately asked me to change more fancy clothes and brought me here.

I squeezed Tiffany’s hand in reassurance and smiled. She hasn’t forgotten that I have a thing for arts. I placed a chaste kiss on her temple and said, “I like it.”

The gallery is beautifully set up with art pieces purposefully placed in separate sections, which allowed every onlooker’s eyes to focus on one piece at a time. The place is mixed of conventional and contemporary art pieces created by the emerging local artists, as well as a variety of carefully international talents.

As we go thoroughly inside the subtly lit spaces, we find bare brick walls covered with more paintings and photographs. We continued our tour inside the gallery until we reached a corner that exhibits wearable art items.

“Let’s try those and take a picture!” Tiffany said excitedly as she pointed out two traditional Balinese clothes and accessories in front of us.

“No.” I told her embarrassingly as I try to take her along with me towards those exotic décor pieces designed for villa or living room.

But Tiffany holds me still, making me look at her. She looked at me with those tantalizing eyes again. How could I ever refuse you?

I sighed in defeat and nodded. “Okay.”

“Yes!” Tiffany said in victory and dragged me along with her, and I watched her carefully putting on the outfit over her dress.

I did the same and put the other outfit on me. Tiffany lets me wear a traditional Balinese necklace and smiled. Then she takes out her phone and randomly asked someone to take a picture of us.

“Smile.” The kind woman said. Tiffany and I posed for the camera. She slings her arm around me which made me smile wide.

“Thank you.” Tiffany said politely at the kind woman right after she took photos for us.

“You’re welcome. You and your friend are beautiful and nice. Your boyfriends must be lucky.” She complimented.

Tiffany and I just exchanged knowing glances and chuckled. I smiled at the woman and slightly bowed. “Thank you.”

Right after the woman left, Tiffany checked our photos and I joined her. I stared at the screen and automatically smile as the shots went out good. Tiffany suddenly tapped the screen and opened the camera application. She changed it into front camera and she angled it in front of us.

“Smile, Tae.” She ordered, which I gladly obeyed. I was waiting for her to take the picture when she swiftly placed a kiss on my cheek and tapped the screen to capture the moment.

I stared at her in daze and she just grinned at me.

We take off the clothes and accessories and put them back to their proper places right after. We continued our tour and after a few moments, Tiffany’s smile started to falter and halted us from our tracks.

"Hi. What are you doing here?" Tiffany asked monotonously.

I looked at her in confusion, then shifted my gaze towards the direction she’s looking at. I furrowed my eyebrows. Yuri and Jessica? How?

"Enjoying the sculptures." "Picking you up." Yuri and Jessica answered contrarily and approached us.

"How did you know that we're even here?" I gullibly asked them.

Jessica smiled at me and said, "Connections, Taeyeon-ah. And besides, the phone carrier charged me extra when you called."

"You called her?" Tiffany questioned, her eyes demanding some explanation.

"Yes. But I didn't tell her that we're here, Fany-ah. Believe me."

"What? So you really didn't have any intention to tell us about this, huh." Jessica said in disbelief and shakes her head.

"It's part of her recovery process, Jessica. I brought her here to take a break from the city, from crowded people, and to enjoy the nature." Tiffany explained to her, in case Jessica takes it the wrong way.

"You could have brought her back to Jeonju, Tiffany." Yuri implied.

"Yeah, Yuri is right. Or you should have told us, at least."

I know that it is normal that my friends to worry about me, but I didn’t expect that it would reach to this extent that they have to fly here in Bali to follow us. And I don’t like that they’re cornering my girlfriend as if Tiffany has done something wrong. "What is wrong with me having a lone time with my girlfriend?"

"Nothing. But what is wrong with informing us that you're leaving the country? It hasn't even been a week since you got discharged, Taeyeon-ah!" Jessica shouted infuriatedly.

"I know you're worried about me. I get it. And we're sorry too. Just please, let's don't argue here. It's a public place." I calmly told them as we’re starting to get other people’s attention.

Yuri snorted and said, "As if they could understand what we're talking about."

"Let's go. There's a nearby café restaurant here. Let's talk there." Tiffany suggested, and the four of us walked our way outside the gallery.

Tiffany and I casually walked our way back to the car. I opened the door and looked at the couple staring at us in surprise. I raised my eyebrow for a short moment and said, “Hop in.”

I clambered inside and watched Tiffany as she fastened her seatbelt, starting the car’s engine at the same time. It didn’t take a few seconds when Yuri and Jessica joined us as they took the back seats, and I smiled.

“Fasten your seatbelts, please.” Tiffany reminded them and she started driving.

Then there it comes, the unnerving quiet atmosphere beginning to engulf the four of us. I took a glance at Yuri and Jessica through the rearview mirror and I see that Jessica is busied with her phone, probably replying e-mails from her company. I shifted my gaze to Yuri and noticed that she’s been staring at me too.

The two of us exchanged intuitive glances, communicating through our eyes. It turns out that Yuri and I are in the same page, that somehow she also feels uncomfortable about this. Having st

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter