Dream

The Paradox of Loving Her
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The weather today is good. The sun shines so bright, but the temperature is still bearable. The path that I’m walking at is quite peaceful too. It’s somehow strange that the streets are too quiet when it’s supposedly lunch time.

I look around and find myself outside a familiar restaurant’s parking area. On the other side, I see Jessica having a heated conversation with someone. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion as I see who she is talking with. It’s me. Wait. What is happening?

I walked a little closer to my other self and Jessica to take a listen what they are arguing about.

"You're aware that she just doesn't see you as her best friend anymore, right? You know that she loves you and you're taking that into your advantage. Oh my god, Taeyeon! What did you do this time? Don't tell me that you did make out with her?!" Jessica yelled exasperatingly to the other me.

I don’t understand. Is she talking about Tiffany? It’s impossible. Tiffany and I are dating. Perhaps, did I make another best friend and cheated on Tiffany? No. I can’t do that to her.

I waited for the response of the other Taeyeon to resolve my anxiety. Her facial expression is so grim that I can indicate that the person they’re talking about is being deceived by her, by the other me.

When opened and as she started talking, I can’t hear her voice anymore. It’s like everything became muted. I try to read and understand what is she saying, but I failed.

Then everything went dark. The other Taeyeon and Jessica was gone. I subtly opened my eyes and this time, I’m back to the hospital again.

It was a dream. It’s just a dream. I sighed in relief, and hoped that whatever transpired in that dream is not one of those memories that I’m missing.

I reached for the phone just beside me and checked the time. It’s already five o’clock in the afternoon, and Tiffany’s still not here. It’s already been a week since I got admitted, and this is the first time that she’s not by my side so I am slightly rattled.

I swiped the screen and was about to contact Tiffany when someone made a knock on the door.

The door opened and revealed a familiar man. He's just standing still in the doorframe, hesitating to come in. He's assessing me if I could remember him.

I sit up properly, my superficial dread already gone, and smiled at the man standing still in the doorframe.

"Hyuk." I said in recognition.

"You remember me." He said in surprise. I could see the relief from his face as I at least remember him.

"Of course. You're my best buddy in college! You were there when... when..." I tried to squeeze out from my brain my memories on how we became close friends, but it is harder than I have expected. I'm not the friendly type, especially to guys, but there's something in him that made us close. I just can't remember the exact reason, but I am sure that we're close friends.

He steps inside the room and closed the door. Dean approached me on my bed and gives me a tight hug. “It’s okay Taeyeon-ah. What's more important is that you're safe."

It feels strange. The warmth that I am getting from him makes me feel safe and comfortable, almost the same as what I am feeling whenever Tiffany is giving me a hug.

I patted his back and uttered, "I know."

He pulls out from the hug, his face filled with something I know as guilt. Dean looked down and lightly holds my hand. "I'm sorry, Tae. I don't know if your friends told you this, but I'm partly the reason why you had the accident."

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. I don't understand why he is blaming himself on the accident. "Huh? What do you mean? I was told that you're based in New York."

He heaves a sigh and finally looks at me in the eyes. "Yes, but–"

Dean wasn't able to tell his reason when the door opened and was interrupted by the person I've been looking for the whole day.

"Dean-ssi. You're here." I heard Tiffany said in surprise.

Hyuk lets go of my hand and turned his head to the side as he briefly greets her. "Tiffany-ssi."

"You know each other? You already met?"

"Yeah, we did. In New York."

I tried to dig up whatever memory I could find, and a vague image of the three of us appeared on my mind. "We had dinner together, but I don't know why."

I looked at Tiffany. She must know everything about me since it is her who feed me what I have missed for the past ten years. "Why were we in New York, Fany? Was it work related?"

I waited for Tiffany to answer my question, but it is Dean who spoke. "Yeah. It was."

Tiffany nodded in agreement and added, "Yeah. I was working in IFC as an intern and I accompanied you to that meeting."

"Ah. I see." I nodded, finally understanding of what that image meant.

"Tae, I have to go." Dean suddenly announced.

"But you just got here." I told him with a frown.

He gives me an assuring smile and caressed my cheek. "It's okay. I was just really came to see myself your condition. And I'm glad that you're fine."

"Okay then." I shifted my gaze to my girlfriend to see her reaction, but there was no sign of insecurity or jealousy on her face. Strange.

Tiffany opened the door and nonchalantly said, "I'll just send him outside, Tae."

"No need, Tiffany-ssi. I can manage. Just take care of Taeyeon." Dean responded as he started walking his way outside.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter