Boyfriend

The Paradox of Loving Her
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After meeting up with Dean in a café for a short while this afternoon, I drive my way to SoHo where Tiffany is currently having her shopping spree.

Thankfully, Dean bought my lie when I told him that I have to go back to the hotel and change my clothes since what I am wearing now is not suitable for a formal dinner in a refined restaurant. I also haven’t told him yet about the company I’ve got – about Tiffany.

Not wanting to waste any time, I sped up my driving and searched for any shortcuts since it is already rush hour. Tiffany must be done buying things and probably done looking around the stores, and I don’t want to keep her waiting.

Twenty seven minutes more and I finally arrived at SoHo. I parked in front of the boutique which I suppose that she’s in and clambered out of the car. I went inside the boutique and instantly found her at the counter, waiting for her new item to be placed on the paper bag.

The person over the counter handed Tiffany her bag and the latter gladly takes it. I started walking towards Tiffany’s direction and took some of her paper bag from her.

When she felt that the weight she was carrying lessened, she tilted her head and looked at me with a surprised expression. But the surprise on her face is instantly replaced by happiness. Or is it relief?

I smiled at her and casually greeted, “Hi.”

She returned the smile and said, “Hi. Done preparing for tonight’s meeting?”

“Yes. I’m actually here to pick you up so we can go there together.” I warily replied, and we started walking our way out of the boutique.

I pressed the power door lock as we were out and pulled the car handle on the passenger’s area to place Tiffany’s shopping bags. The moment I am done with it, I joined Tiffany in the front seat and started driving.

“Are we going there now?” She curiously asked me while staring at what I am wearing – customized oversized shirt, short denim pants, and sneakers.

“Not yet. We’ll head back to the hotel first so we could drop off your shopping bags to our room and so that I could also change my clothes.” I answered her question with a knowing smile.

We came to the hotel a few minutes later, and I changed into my deft clothes right away we reached our room. I don’t want to prolong my uneasiness so the moment I finished preparing, I went out of my room and asked Tiffany if we could go now.

She stands up from the couch and commented, “That was fast.”

I just gave her a shrug and said, “Let’s go?”

Tiffany nodded and followed me as I go out of our room, and traveled down the lobby. It is already dark when we stepped out from the building. It’s a shame that we missed the sunset.

I drive our way to the said restaurant nearby. We’re still a few meters away but I can already see Dean standing right outside the restaurant’s entrance.

I sighed inwardly. Here we go, Taeyeon.

And as we move close to him, I stopped the car and let the valet handle its parking.

Dean’s face lighted up as soon as he sees me, but his expression almost faltered when he sees that I brought someone with me. I took a short glance at Tiffany, anticipating for her to say or react something but she just gave him a brief smile, and he gladly returned it.

This will be a very awkward night. I thought to myself, hoping that Dean won’t mention anything about our personal relationship or else hell will break loose.

The three of us entered the restaurant and went to our reservation table which was arranged for us by the institution. Tiffany and I take our seats right next to each other while Dean takes his seat across us.

I assume that our orders have already been placed so we just sit there and smiled awkwardly at each other. It didn’t take long when our orders arrived, and the maître d’ served our sirloin steak being paired off by Cabernet Sauvignon.

Since the atmosphere that surrounds us is quite gauche, I started off eating while the other two followed. We were silently eating until Dean puts down his fork and knife and looked at me.

I paid him a quick glance and returned to my meal when he finally breaks the silence and uttered, “I thought it will only be the two of us, Tae.”

“Dean.” Calling out his name in a strict tone was enough to warn him.

“I’m sorry. I don’t mean to be rude. I just thought that IFC Korea will be only sending Taeyeon just like they usually do.” He sincerely told Tiffany and gives her an apologetic smile.

I saw Tiffany briefly smiled at him and humbly responded, “It’s okay. I’m not really an employee of IFC. I’m just learning things from them.”

“Oh. So you’re an intern?” He asked in interest.

I could see in Tiffany’s face that she’s quite uncomfortable with Dean. And I totally understand that so I answered on her behalf. “Technically, yes. But she has higher authority than Baek and everyone else. She’s like an exchange student leader being sent to another school.”

“Oh. So you are from another financial institution, other IFC branch?” He asked as he takes a huge sip of his drink.

“Oh, no. I’m from Hwang Empire.” Tiffany nonchalantly replied.

Dean almost choked on the wine that he's drinking with the revelation. He wiped his mouth using the table napkin lying by his side, briefly gives me a quizzical look and finally made his response to Tiffany.

“The Hwang Empire?” He asked her in confirmation.

I saw Tiffany's eyes on me for a moment but I acted like I wasn't paying attention to what they are talking about anymore. In fact, the food is really taking my attention.

“Uh, yes.” I heard Tiffany replied.

“Well, I assume that you’re HE’s prodigy. It’s finally nice meeting you, Tiffany-ssi.”

“Nice meeting you too, Kwon-ssi.” Tiffany formally greeted.

“Please, call me Dean. You’re my girlfriend’s best friend after all so you don’t have to be that formal.”

And that's the time when I almost choked on what I was eating. I took the goblet from my side and drank so

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter