Chapter 16

Love by Design

 

You watch at the movers move the boxes out of the apartment to the moving truck downstairs. Yuri slips by them and smiles at you.

"So tomorrow, I lose my best friend," Yuri says holding onto your arm.

"It's only for two year. I'm transferring back to ESMOD afterwards. I've talked to both schools to make sure it's okay."

"Why can't you go to ESMOD and just stay?" You pinch Yuri's cheeks.

"I want to be near my mom. It's been some time since we've actually talked and I just feel like...we need to reconnect," Yuri turns to you, pouting. She holds you in a hug.

"I'm still going to miss you!" All you can do is laugh as you hug her back.

"Ah!" You pull from the hug. "I have something for you," You reach into your jacket pocket and pull out a white envelope. Yuri takes the envelope and looks inside. It reveals a thick stack of wons.

"What is this?"

"Um...about 300,000 won*? It's what I got for all my clothing that I sold."

"Really?" You nod. "I can't take this," Yuri tries to give you back the envelope but you push it back.

"Think of it as next month's rent. I'll pay the rest when I come back," Tears start to form in her eyes as Yuri hugs you tightly. You pull away as your phone rings. Your smile goes away as you look at the display. Yuri looks at it too.

"Aren't you going to answer it?"

"No," You push the phone to Yuri. She looks at you with surprise.

"Did you tell him?" You shake your head. "Babo! Why not? GD should have been the first person you told you were leaving!"

"I just couldn't! I...I didn't want to hurt him," The phone continues to ring. Yuri sighs as she takes the phone and answers.

"Hello? Ah, hello Jiyong-sshi. This is Yuri, her friend. Huh?" Yuri turns to you. The expression on her face tells you something is wrong. "Okay. I'll tell her. Yeah. Goodbye."

"What did he say?"

"He wants you to meet him at his apartment. He sounded angry."

"Huh?"

~~~~~~

You stand in front of Jiyong's apartment door. You ring the doorbell and as you do, your chest tightens in anxiety. What could be wrong?  The door opens to a disappointed Jiyong.

"Can I come in?" Jiyong moves to the side to let you in. You slip off your shoes.

"When were you going to tell me you were leaving Korea?" You stop in your step at the question. Your heart seemed to drop from your chest as you feel like you are about to collapse. You slowly turn to him and see the hurt expression on his face.

"I...I wasn't."

*- equivalent to $267 usd 

I coudn't really think for the past few days on the story but now...it's getting good. Stay tune!