The Optician

The Little Things and Other Possibilities

He knew she needed to see the optician soon. 

He knew her eyesight was off the moment she mistook the bitter insomnia tea for coffee, which caused her to cringe at the taste once she took a sip from her cup. She insisted that maybe her contacts were a bit off, but even when she wore her glasses, she couldn't read the labels of some products, which sometimes caused her to call him and read the labels out for her. But the real defining moment of the need to check her eyesight was the incident that happened yesterday. Ji Wook and Eun Hyuk came back to the law firm after a trial. Bong Hee also got the news that Ji Wook was once again voted as the worst prosecutor of the year, which of course, was enough for her to be proud of him. Once the two men came home, she suddenly ran into Ji Wook's arms.

Or whom she at least thought was Ji Wook.

When she was about to go on her speech on how proud she was of her boyfriend, she looks closely that her actual boyfriend was seething at how she was holding Eun Hyuk instead of him. The strong surge of panic was plastered across her face, causing her to break away from Eun Hyuk immediately. It took Bong Hee a lot of strength not to let Ji Wook beat Eun Hyuk to a pulp. 

"Ya! Why didn't you tell her that you were you when she hugged you?!" Ji Wook screamed at him.

"Why are you getting mad at me?! She's the one with the bad eyesight!" Eun Hyuk screamed back, hiding behind the counter.

"It's both of your faults that you were wearing the same colors today!" Bong Hee spoke as she tried to settle the two fools.

That moment was enough to settle him into making an appointment for her at the optician, even telling her the time of her appointment so she could prepare herself early. She protested as to why she had to go on a work day, but he already called Eun Hyuk to say she'll have a day off tomorrow for her appointment. She insisted on going alone, but he rebutted that she'll miss the stop where she's supposed to go.

She shook her head at her busybody boyfriend as she kissed him on the cheek. "Ah, I can't believe I have a boyfriend who's considerate enough to book me a doctor's appointment, as if I'm not capable of doing so." She rolled her eyes at the last phrase. 

"I'm just scared the you might call the wrong phone number." He joked, only for her to slap his arm in response.

___

Ji Wook muttered to himself the name of the street as they stopped by the clinic of the optician. He knew about him since he was the one who prescribed him with his reading glasses, and since they was close friends as they shared the same dormitory back in college. He hurriedly runs towards the other side of the car to help Bong Hee out. The couple walked inside the clinic and made their way to the reception area, where the receptionist confirmed their time for the appointment. When it was her turn, Bong Hee stands up to meet the optician, only for her to be surprised of the person handling her appointment. 

"Oh Jin Goo?" She asked, rubbing her eyes in surprise. 

"Eun Bong Hee?" The doctor asked, a smile forming on his lips as he saw the familiar face.

"I'm Noh Ji Wook." Ji Wook suddenly piped in, extending his hand towards the man. 

"Ah, Ji Wook!" Jin Goo smiled at his usual patient and his old friend, shaking his hand. "How are you doing? Are the reading glasses okay so far?" 

"Yeah, they're fine so far. I'm fine as well." He plastered a smile on his face, as if he's not merely affected by the fact that his optician and close friend knows his girlfriend.

"Ah..." Jin Goo replied to him, and then he turned towards the girl beside him. "Shall we begin?"

"Yeah—" She started to speak, but Ji Wook excused her for a moment.

"How do you two know each other?" He asked. It wasn't as if he's jealous of the two, but he needed to at least know their history before he jumps into weird assumptions.

"Ah, we were classmates back in high school." She said to him.

"That's it?" He asked, but she pinches his cheek in reassurance. 

"I need to go through this appointment you booked for me now. Don't get too bored." She chuckled at him before going into the office, the frosted doors shutting behind her. 

Aish, this woman. He spoke to himself. He was a bit thankful that today was his day off and that there weren't any heavy cases for him to handle this week. He already had enough of the District Attorney breathing on his neck the entire time, so it was quite a relief that he got to spend this day with his girlfriend.

His thoughts were suddenly interrupted after hearing his girlfriend's laughter inside the office, causing him to look at the direction of the room. He was tempted to go near the unfrosted part of the glass, but the conversation between the two was quite clear.

"Do you remembered before Christmas vacation? Where we stopped by your house and I was holding your bike?" Jin Goo asked her.

"How could I forget? That was where my first kiss happened." She laughed. 

Somehow, the new information was enough to make Ji Wook feel alarmed by the situation. He kept finding a good gap of unfrosted glass to see what was happening inside the room. He observed Bong Hee as she read the Snellen chart with something covering her right eye, with Doctor Oh looking at her fondly. He looked a bit like an idiot trying to observe what was happening inside the room, but he gave up when they entered another room inside the office. He doesn't like giving into paranoia sometimes, but he doesn't want to admit that he's also the jealous type. The feeling somewhat intensified since he's hearing their conversations through the thin walls, and it didn't help either that his girlfriend's voice and laughter was so distinct that sometimes he had to shush the other patients to listen to his girlfriend and the doctor talk.

"How about this one?" Jin Goo's voice resonated through the wall, causing Ji Wook to stick his ear to it. 

"It feels a bit woozy, and the ground looks...magnified, like a fish lens." Bong Hee's voice followed next, and a burst of laughter was heard from the both of them.

"You look adorable with those frames." The doctor's voice was heard next, and Ji Wook almost wanted to barge through those doors at that moment, but the words from his girlfriend suddenly calmed his heart—scratch that, it made his heart almost skip a beat.

"Really? You think my boyfriend will like it as well?" She asked, and silence followed suit. He smiled to himself like a fool for his girl. Of course he'll like anything she'll put on. She looks amazing in everything anyways. When his heart was about to settle, something caught his attention once more. Something that Doctor Oh Jin Goo, his optician and close friend, say something like "Do you want to know something about your boyfriend?", and the silence that followed suit. 

Oh no. He thought. Please don't tell me he told her what he knew. 

Suddenly, a burst of laughter from her girlfriend was heard through the walls. He taps his phone and bites his nails as he waited for his girlfriend's session to be over. Once the doors opened, he stood up to see her with a paper bag, and a new set of glasses that were similar to his own reading glasses. He took note at how cute she was with her round glasses, a small smile forming on his face. She turned around to thank Doctor Oh, and he replied with a wide smile at her. 

"How is it?" Ji Wook asked his girlfriend, looking at how her frames made her look adorable that he started pinching her cheeks.

"Aish, you know I hate it when you do that." She said, swatting her boyfriend's hands away from her. She looked back at Doctor Oh and bowed in gratitude. 

"Thank you for the new glasses and contact lenses, Doctor Oh-nim." She said. "I promise I'll remember everything you prescribed to me." 

"Ah, anytime for the girlfriend of a friend who is also my friend." The doctor chuckled as he looked back at Ji Wook.

"Yah, don't let this woman get away, okay? She's a keeper." Jin Goo said as he patted his shoulder, but Ji Wook took him in for a hug.

"Yah, what did you tell her you punk?" He whispered in his ear. 

"How did you hear that?" The doctor whispered back.

"Your voice seems to be very distinct since your walls are paper thin." Ji Wook spoke. 

"I think that's for you to know, dear chingu." Jin Goo replied as he patted his back and released him. The couple—well, just Bong Hee since Ji Wook was in such a rush to go back to the car to question her—waved him goodbye as they drove away from the clinic. Once they were at the freeway, Ji Wook was ready to set down some questions.

"You do realize that your voices were heard through the walls?" Ji Wook lowly asked after a minute of silence.

Bong Hee looked back at her man. "Really? What did you hear?" 

Ji Wook sighed before he spoke. "You didn't tell me that he was your first kiss."

It was Bong Hee's turn to sigh back. "It wasn't that important to tell it anyways. It was just my first kiss, but we never dated, if you want to know."

Ji Wook took a split second to look back at her and hold her hands. "Aish, you're right. I know it's not my business anyways."

Bong Hee smiled and kissed their intertwined hands as he drove back home. A beat of silence passed, and then, her voice piped up. "Yah, how did Jin Goo knew you anyways?"

"Hmm..." Ji Wook started. "We were friends back in college. He was in the same dormitory with me, but he moved after a few years to shift to medical school." 

"Ah..." Bong Hee answered, but what alarmed Ji Wook was the fact that she bursted into little giggles afterwards.

"Yah, what's funny this time?" He asked, but he was scared that he knew the answer. No, please not that. He thought to himself. Anything but that. 

"How do I say it?" She started. "...So, you guys kissed before?" 

There it was, and it made Ji Wook's ears turn as red as a tomato. It was just because they were playing truth or dare with their friends, including Yoo Jung and Eun Hyuk that time after a few drinks. Ji Wook decided to be a little wild and chose dare, so they dared him to give Jin Goo a kiss for a few hundred dollars. The both of them were a bit willing to do so, and Yoo Jung even dared them to do it for five seconds and split the money. Of course, with their drunken selves, the two of them kissed. The worst part about this was that he was the only person who wasn't aware that the event happened until the three of them reminded him afterwards. Since then, he told Jin Goo not to tell anyone that it happened for the sake of their pride.

Well, until now at least.

"Oh my God." He replied, a mortified look on his face. Bong Hee let out a huge laugh afterwards. 

"What? He's got some soft lips. You would know that too." She shrugged, a little giggle passing through her lips. 

"Can we please not talk about it?" He said, reminiscing the memory of that night again. Well, he thought, it was true that his lips were sof—snap out of it, Ji Wook!

"Fine." Bong Hee agreed, and a wave of silence came afterwards, but somehow after a few minutes, she spoke again.

"So..." She started. "Who do you think is the better kisser between us? Me or him?"

"Bong Hee-yah!" He shouted in the car, her giggles following afterwards. 

 

___

 

A/N: Forgive me for this short drabble. I've been really busy nowadays. Also, just in case you want to find out who's Oh Jin Goo, he's played by one of my favorite actors, Kang Ha Neul.

 

Also, if you have the time, please vote in the Asia Artist Awards if you can through this link: http://www.asiaartistawards.com/vote/lists/1704 ! Thank you for reading through this story :)