Papers and Rings

The Little Things and Other Possibilities

*A/N: I kind of encourage everyone to listen to Track 3 of Lover by Taylor Swift while reading this chapter, just for the experience of it, I guess. Also whoever is reading this can someone please and I mean PLEASE make an edit of them with this song in the background I beg of you. Also, the new TPT chapter will be out soon, but I hope this will be okay for now. Gonna give you guys like... a minute to do so.*

Being "unconventional" was something Noh Ji Wook and Eun Bong Hee took some pride on. Well, despite the fact that their relationship started with them hating each other's guts and having people murdered along the way, especially how "every time they dated each other, someone would get stabbed", they're probably as unconventional as unconventional could be. Especially when it came to their wedding. 

As much as they wanted to do a small, church wedding, time constraints could be a pain in the . He was working on a case on a high-profile killer that's been hot in the media for months now, and she was finding it difficult as well to plan for their wedding when the slew of clients just can't stop coming in for some reason. Their schedules wouldn't even clash, and it was definitely bugging Ji Wook, since he couldn't even come home to at least give his fiancé a morning kiss like he always would, given that the case was getting heavier by the minute so he had to sleep in his office more often. And so, they just decided to at least register their marriage by the city hall together, and maybe deal with the formal wedding festivities later. 

He was thankful at the very least that he had finally a day where he didn't put his head in a folder to read through the latest evidences. He took his time today to pick his best suit for today's small affair, and he waited by the park of the apartment complex she stayed with Prosecutor Na, where he stood in the very spot where he had to convince her to date her, even though he almost felt like his heart was about to rupture from the suspense of her possibly not dating him after everything. He smiled at the ground, thinking about her unkempt hair and her confused expression (disregarding the smell she had that day), and thinking that after everything they've been through, he was more than sure to finally take her as his wife. Wife. The word made his heart jump. She's actually going to be his wife.

Even if it's just legally, that still counts.

The sound of heels on the pavement made him look up, and somehow, it was like he was falling in love all over again. 

She walked out wearing a white dress that fell just below her knees, the skirt billowing with the wind with every step she took, her hair brushing past her shoulders, and that smile that could possibly make birds sing and flowers bloom. His heart swells at the presence of the ruby ring sitting by the top of her sternum, the very necklace that gave him hope that she still kept him in her heart despite the obstacles. God, he thought to himself. What the hell did I do in the past life to have this woman as my wife?

"I thought there was a tradition that grooms aren't allowed to see their brides until they were at the altar?" She taunted as she finally approached him, an outstretched hand fully covering his own. 

"I know." He chuckled, before kissing the top of her forehead. "But when has tradition ever been in our favor?" 

"You have a point." She laughed, and they went off, hands swinging and feet skipping as they made their way to the car, and after some time, to the city hall. It only took a few signatures and swearing in front of a judge, and before they knew it, the pair walked down the steps of the hall, hand in hand, finally registered as a married couple. Maybe it's because they went for a civil wedding, maybe it's because there wasn't any fanfare involved, but it feels as if it was an ordinary day, like they went in for a museum date and came out married all of a sudden. To the people around them, though, it's as if they didn't need any papers from the city hall or any event whatsoever. They already acted like an old married couple that bickered to their hearts' content and loved each other to death. It was just a matter of time that they finally sealed the deal on the two of them. 

"So, husband..." She giggled. "What do newlyweds do after getting married?"

He raised an eyebrow at her, a smirk on his lips. "Are you sure you're ready for that answer?"

"Not that one!" She groaned. "I'm serious! Do you want to go to that Chinese restaurant we always go to? Walk in the park? What should we do?"

"Oh..." He paused. "Didn't think I would get this far though." 

She shook her head and chuckled, clasping their hands tighter as the wind blew past them. "Same here." 

He smiled at her statement, leaning his cheek over the top of her head. "Tteokbokki? Sundae? Drinks?" 

"That's perfect."

___
 

Bong Hee heaved a sigh of relief when she finally took off her shoes by the front door of Ji Wook's (well, it's been unofficially her home as well since she's married to him (FINALLY!) and maybe she'll have to ask Ji Hye to help her with her stuff back) and changed her slippers.

"I thought you said you weren't tired?"

"And risk almost falling face first into the street if you carry me like that last time when we both had a few drinks? Jagi, I love you, but come on, we both know you can't carry me."

"But—"

She placed a finger to his lips. "We're in our honeymoon phase, don't fret too much. We literally just got married this afternoon."

Stepping inside their home, it felt like nothing shifted much, just the replacement of the thin gold band with a small diamond on her finger to a thicker gold band, and interestingly, she noticed a few inscriptions inside it before she slid it on her finger.

"Ji Wook and Bong Hee, Always and Forever." 

He followed behind closely, a hand on her shoulder sliding down to her waist, and he pressed his lips to her temple. "Does this mean you'll move in back with me?"

She laughed, turning around to face him. "Of course I will, I'm legally known as your spouse now. I have a part of this home now."

"You always have been." He smiled down at her. "You stay here far more often than Prosecutor Na's apartment."

She squinted at him, but he's right, though. She let him continue. "Your toothbrush is literally beside mine, every corner of this home has this faint smell of you, some of your t-shirts are beside mine in my drawers, and there's far more brown hair strands on my sheets than my own. You've been a part of this home for too long now, it's yours as it's mine."

Her gaze softened at him and his words. She has made it her home as well, they just made it official back in the courthouse, and with a whirlwind of street snacks, bike rides, pizza and chicken a few hours ago, it was the only thing they could ever ask for. Or maybe it's because they ate too much tteokbokki that's he's acting this way.

"You're being a sap. It's so unlike you."

"But it's true!" He laughed. "You basically live here now, but at least this time, I can finally be with you 24/7 and not sulk around waiting for the next time to see you again."

"I didn't know you sulk that much."

"That's because I'm literally happy whenever I see you. Everything else is garbage. You? You're... not garbage."

"What a very straightforward way to say that you like me."

"Love." He corrected. "I love you. People may be garbage, and even if your profession is unbearable, you're the biggest exception to that. You have no idea how happy I am knowing that we're married, and I could care less if it was in court or in a hotel ballroom. Just knowing I get to be by your side as long as I can is enough."

She placed her hands on both sides of his face, feeling his warm cheeks and the blood rushing to his ears. She gazed at him earnestly as she spoke.

"To be honest, I could care less either. I would rather have our marriage to be with only the two of us than have hundreds of guests in our field smile and gossip in our wake, not to mention how the costs would be nauseating."

He raised his eyebrows, and she continued. "Even if we don't have this huge ceremony, I would love it better if we were the only people that heard our vows, or look forward to our future. This is about us, this entire thing is about what we have right now and what we will have in the future. I'm just glad that the person I love the most loves me with the same enthusiasm."

"Even if you almost strangled him in your brain multiple times?"

"Even if I almost strangled him in my brain multiple times."

"Well I'm glad." He leaned forward and slotted his lips between hers, before pulling away too soon and tugging her upstairs to the ottoman. "Come on, I owe you a wedding dance."

She watched as he skillfully skimmed through his vinyl record collection with one hand, and held on tightly to her with his other hand. And when he finally places the record and the saxophone croons around the room, he tugs her closer. She placed her hands on his shoulders as he wrapped his arms around her waist, but of course, there's the other dilemma: her neck will hurt too much from looking up at him. 

"Step on my feet."

"Are you sure?"

"Why shouldn't I be?"

"You're not that too skilled in dancing, you know?"

"I'm adequate." He shrugged. "And beside's we're swaying. It's the least we can do. And I'm solving your neck problems."

She sighed, before stepping on his toes and pressing her entire front onto him. He secured his hold on her further, noses touching as they swayed and listened to the beat. He hummed the melody as she closed her eyes, just savoring the moment as much as she could.

"Jagi?"

He hummed.

"I hope we'll still love each other this much in the future."

She looked at his face, and all she could see in his eyes was one thing: adoration.

"We've been through hell and back and made it out alive." He kissed her forehead, nose, and eventually her lips, a smile plastered on his face as he looked at her. "Trust me, I'll love you for the long run." 
 

___
 


A/N: wow, am i really updating this right now?

 

I don't know if people still read SP/NamJi fics, but I am still happy that people comment on some of my stuff. Life has been tough, my mind is still a mess, but I hope we're all still alive and kicking. I still have more to post, don't worry. I wanna use this as my break from the world, we need a little more happiness. So yeah, I hope you're still here. Love you guys!