When We Get There

The Little Things and Other Possibilities

"Have you ever thought of getting married, jagiya?

Bong Hee's words suddenly filled the space of the porch, a hiss from the beer can she opened following suit. The two were sitting on the floor with a few cans of beer as they watched the sky together, since the electricity went out a few moments ago. Almost the entire city had its electricity shut down, and they didn't know how long will the power come up again. But with how they're sitting side-by-side, cross-legged as they observed the stars slowly twinkling one by one in the sky, they thought that it was enough for them. There wasn't anything good on the television, anyways.

Ji Wook looks at his girlfriend, who was still looking at the sky as it slowly came to life. He watches her in awe, just like the time he watched her as the rain fell in her hands, her smile brighter than the sun. He smiles to himself. The first thing that popped up in his mind was the image of her in a thin veil and a white dress, slowly walking towards him like an angel sent from heaven, wearing the same smile that she had on her face the moment she enjoyed the rain falling through her fingers. But at that image, the smile she wore was meant for him. The thought of it sends a warm feeling across his chest, and all throughout his fingers and toes.

"Sometimes, yeah. Why?" He asked her, patiently waiting for her answer. 

"Well...Sometimes I find it too soon that the marriage topic is being brought up this early. Even your father is threatening me to tell you to marry me." She chuckled to herself before she took a sip from her beer, which caused him to pull her closer to his side, his hand holding her waist as she laid her head on his shoulder. It technically was too soon, since it's been three months since they got back together. But the thought also crossed her mind at times, but she didn't want to admit it to him because she was afraid he'd shoot down the topic quickly. 

He kissed her forehead before he spoke. "Do you want to talk about it now?"

She smiled to herself. "I won't talk about it if it makes you uncomfortable."

Uncomfortable? He thought. If he actually had a ring inside his pocket right now, he'd put it on her in a heartbeat. He sighed to himself, looking at the woman in his arms.

"Where do you want to get married, if ever?" His voice gentle and soft. Her eyes widened in surprise, since she didn't expect him to be open about this topic, knowing that he wasn't that fond of the idea of marriage before. 

"You're really asking me this right now?" She asked him, her eyes shining as if she was waiting to talk about this moment with him for a long time. He nodded at her, causing her to put her can down and rub her hands as if she was ready to tell him anything that was on her mind. He chuckled at the sight of his girlfriend being excited to talk about something.

"Well...I was thinking of having a simple ceremony in a small hall." She admitted, holding her boyfriend's hands in hers as she imagined what would it be like in that day. She didn't really care about what the size of the room was or how many people would watch them together, what mattered to her most was the feeling of having someone to love her for the rest of her days. 

He hummed in approval. "Do you want the hall to be inside or outside a hotel?" 

She felt her cheeks flush in embarrassment with the thought that came to her head. "Please don't judge me with this idea."

This made him look at her in wonder. "What is it?"

"Well..." She started. "Wouldn't it be weird if we got married at the hotel where we bumped into each other?" 

The image of her stumbling down on the floor and him bumping into her suddenly came up in his mind. Come to think of it, that was a defining moment in their relationship, and it was a bit interesting to say the least how their relationship formed after that, the words still ringing in his ears like it was the first time he heard her say it.

"Do you...want to sleep with me?"

"Sure, I'll sleep with you."

The image made him smile to himself, but the thought of telling the reason why to their parents was the entertaining part of it all. 

"How can we tell our parents about the reason why we picked the hotel?" He asked her, and as much as he didn't want to laugh at the idea, with the way Bong Hee stopped and looked at him, he knew he was a goner. 

"Ya! I told you not to judge me!" She whined as he slapped his chest, but his laughter was contagious enough to make her laugh too, and suddenly, the idea makes the two of them clutch their stomachs in laughter. As their giggles died down, they sighed into each other's arms as they thought of the idea. 

"Alright. How many people should we invite, if that's the case?" She asked him this time. 

Knowing Noh Ji Wook, he wasn't really the one to be friends with anyone. Come to think of it, almost everyone in the prosecutors' office hated his guts (well, except for Mr. Bang of course), and it would be a miracle if most of the people in the office actually came to the event. As for Eun Bong Hee, she wasn't entirely sure if she's keen to the idea of inviting some of her old colleagues back in their Judicial Training days, but she was sure that the lawyers in their law firm would go to the wedding. 

"I don't know exactly..." Ji Wook started. "But I think our close friends are enough for the celebration, don't you think?"

She nodded, somewhat pleased with his answer. The two talked about how everything would hypothetically come together in their wedding, and even go beyond as to what they predict will happen to their wedding, either in the best case scenario or the worst case scenario. 

"I feel like our mothers would try to outdo each other on the wedding." Bong Hee chuckled to herself, thinking about how outrageous the two mothers would probably be on that day. 

"I feel like our mothers would fight over what you're going to wear on the wedding." Ji Wook spoke, somewhat already dreading the chaos the mothers would ensue once the wedding happens. 

"Either way, our mothers would still fight no matter what." He added, grabbing a can of beer beside him. 

"Hmm..." Bong Hee started. "Where should we go for our honeymoon, then?"

He cleared his throat before he spoke. "Do you want it domestically? Or do you want to go to another country?" 

"I kind of want it to be in another country. Hungary, maybe? I heard the art and architecture there is amazing." Bong Hee answered. The thought of walking around in a foreign country that she has never been before, filled with art that fascinated her to no extent, along with the man she loved the most was enough to make her feel giddy with the idea. "What about you?"

Ji Wook stayed silent for a bit before answering. "Somewhere domestic, I guess. Jeju would be nice. Incheon, maybe?" The thought of being in a small island surrounded by the sand and the sea, while walking around with his beautiful woman right beside him was enough for him to consider it a paradise on earth.

She hummed in approval, also liking the idea of the two destinations. "Yeah, let's consider that too."

The two sipped their beers in silence, sighing to themselves at how peaceful this night has become for them. They felt that it was nice that they were talking about the future together like this. All couples do this sometimes, right? They both thought to themselves. Suddenly, an idea comes into Bong Hee's mind, but she's not sure if her boyfriend would be fond of the idea, though. But nonetheless, she let the words come out of .

"Do you want kids, jagiya?"

The moment the question left her lips, the beer Ji Wook was drinking was enough to make him choke a bit. She somewhat regretted the question now. Who was she kidding? She thought. He wasn't even that fond of Jae Hong when she left him at his house. She felt as if the question was stupid for her to ask, her cheeks flushing in embarrassment.

"Nevermind." She whispered to herself, but when she felt his hand wrap around her own, and a kiss by her temple, she was a bit shocked herself.

"Why not? We could have two? Maybe three?" He whispered in her ear. She suddenly had this image of little Ji Wooks and Bong Hees running around their household, maybe even on this porch they're sitting on. It was enough to make her feel excited for what's to come in their future. It was also a surprise to her that her boyfriend is open to the idea of children, since she knew that he wasn't really fond of them in the first place.

Ji Wook looks at his girlfriend, noticing the shock on her face after his answer. Maybe she didn't expect that I'd be open to the idea. He thought. Heck, I would probably cry the minute she tells me she's pregnant. Scratch that, a future with Bong Hee would make him cry a river of happiness. 

"Do you want a boy first? Or a girl, if ever?" She asked him. He thought to himself what would he do if he had a boy as his firstborn. He'd probably treat him like a prince, protecting him and teaching him a lot of things like how his mother and father taught him before. He then imagined what would he do if he had a girl as his firstborn. He'd probably protect her with his entire body and soul, treating her like the princess that she is to him. He then wondered about who would get his eyes, or who would get his nose and his smile? Or maybe who would get their mother's beauty? Her impulsiveness? His straightforwardness? His ability to notice little details? Whatever their child may be, what's important is to him is the existence of their little bundle of joy in their lives. The thought of having a little Ji Wook or a little Bong Hee walking towards him after a hard day at work was enough to let him sigh to himself. That would be the most rewarding feeling in the world, being a loving husband to his wonderful wife, and being a caring father to his lovely children.

"I don't know, which ever comes first, I'll gladly accept it." He replied, a warm smile across his face. The two of them decided to lay down on the porch, the stars fully out tonight.

"Ah, how am I this lucky to have a namja like you?" She asked him, wrapping her arms around his waist and settling her head on her man's chest, hearing the steady beat of his heart. 

"You tell me." He responded, kissing her forehead as he looked back at the sky.

"Jagiya..." She asked him after a moment, moving her body so her chin was resting on his shoulder. "I love you, you know that? No matter what happens in the future, we'll go through it together."

He adjusted her body a little bit, half of her body on top of his chest, so he could plant a soft kiss on her lips. "I love you too, and I know that."

The moment they leaned in for another kiss, the lights came back on, causing Bong Hee to fall on his side in shock. They laugh at her clumsiness as they sat up from their position on the floor. The two grabbed their beer cans and walked inside their home, their arms around each other's waists. 

Somehow, during their little talk, something dawned inside of them. It was a bit too soon that they talked about marriage, knowing that they'll cross the bridge when they get there. But they couldn't deny that they were so sure of spending their future together, no matter what the circumstances may be, and no matter where fate will take them. It never crossed their mind that there will be conflicts and obstacles that will come their way. But one thing was for sure for the both of them: they will never stop loving each other and they will make sure their good fate will stay like that until the day they die. 

 

___

 

A/N: And almost one year later...the proposal scene is where it took them.

Somehow, I always wondered when and how the two of them talked about their future together. Like if you watched the proposal scene in the last episode, they looked so sure that they were going to spend their lives together, that's why Ji Wook didn't even bother to ask the question. They both knew that they were going to end up in front of the altar together, one way or another. Hope you all enjoyed this chapter! :)

And also, don't forget to greet Nam Ji Hyun a very happy birthday on her IG account! (but please no mention of her leading men on the comments you are about to leave. It's her day anyways, so keep some *shipping* posts out of the comment section for a while)