Quit?

The Little Things and Other Possibilities

Ji Wook was restless, fumbling with the clutch of his watch as he tried to settle his heart from bursting of worry. It was already night time, and she still wasn't home.

He doesn't really want to overthink the moment he saw Bong Hee her long-time friend that came back in her life a few days ago to the parking lot of the prosecutors' office. He didn't really want to overthink about the fact that her friend was also her first love, and how fondly she speaks of him sometimes whenever she brings him up during dinner. He didn't really want to overthink about the moment she smiled so wide when her friend spoke to her, the feeling of his heart constricting in his chest as he saw her get in his car. He wanted to run to where they were parked, but he was stuck to pavement by the doors of the prosecutors' office in that moment, and he felt helpless as well. Who was he kidding? He didn't own her, and she didn't own him. They were just two people living under the same roof due to some complicated circumstances. There wasn't really anything between them to begin with, but the moment he saw her smile as the rain fell on her hands a week ago, maybe, just maybe, he wanted to change that. 

But then the image in his mind changes, and suddenly, it was the image of Bong Hee and her friend holding hands on the way home, smiles plastered on their faces. He imagines them talking about the past they had, and the possibility of a new future together. And then, another image pops up in his mind that made him feel uneasy: her hands make her way around his neck, and suddenly, their lips meet. It was enough for Ji Wook to press his nails in his palms, the foreign feeling in his chest settling in after a long time of not experiencing it before. Of course, there were moments when he dated Yoo Jung that he felt this feeling, but this time, it was stronger, like his heart was ready to split in two if he didn't do something. He didn't want to do anything, because he knew if he did something, their entire relationship would change. 

His thoughts were suddenly interrupted with the sound of a car pulling up to the driveway. He then made his way out of the house, only to find Bong Hee looking drained, her eyes trained to the pavement. She meets his eyes, and suddenly, his feet made him move. He ran towards her, and Bong Hee felt the wind knock out of her lungs when he suddenly hugged her. His grip on her neck and her waist was gentle, but it was tight enough to show how much he didn't want to let her go. 

"I...thought you weren't coming home." He spoke lowly, his voice breaking in nervousness and something else in his chest that he couldn't pinpoint. 

Silence enveloped the two of them, and it made him even more nervous that Bong Hee wasn't responding to his hug.

__

Bong Hee wasn't sure of what to do at this moment. 

The moment she came home to the house, she wanted to cry out everything that she had in her chest. Her feelings were a mess as of the moment, and she didn't have the time to process everything that was thrown at her all at once. Dong Hae was the first to shock her when he said that he still had feelings for her all these years. The memories of them being happy together suddenly came back, but the strongest memory that left her with the strongest aftertaste was the moment he left her to study abroad. She couldn't forget the days she cried over him leaving her with only a text message that he was breaking up with her since he was going to a different country for an indefinite time. She knew the consequences anyways: long distance relationships almost never survive. But nonetheless, she had forgiven him for everything that happened between them as the years went by. That's why when they met again, it felt like the past was erased and there was only happiness between them. She was happy enough to show him around the city and have a good time as friends, but the moment he said that he wanted to start something new between them during their dinner together at the bistro near the financial district, something stops her.

No, not something. Someone. 

The strong mix of emotions suddenly invaded her brain, and it was as if everything in her brain muddled up every single image she had in her mind until she couldn't think straight. The moment her past wanted to start a new future, her mind goes back to the man back home, who was probably fast asleep by now after drinking his insomnia tea. The same man that showed her kindness after every clumsy accident and chaos that ensued afterwards. The same man that saved her freedom in exchange of his job. But she also had her doubts when it comes to him, knowing that his ex also came back in their lives a few days ago, which also lead her into thinking if he still felt anything for his ex. She wasn't even sure whether he felt the same way about her, but with how he's holding her right now in his arms, it was like she was about to get her answer. 

"Bong Hee..." He started, his heart beating rapidly in his chest, and she could feel it too. "I...like you. I like you, Eun Bong Hee."

She held her breath. There it was, out in the open. Her senses suddenly heightened, her mind was reeling everything all at once. It was like the universe was trying to make her feel everything all at once. She didn't know if her feelings were for him were real, or maybe it was the heat of the moment caused by her ex-boyfriend. Her hands itched to reach towards his back, but something stops her: what if it never works out? What if the moment she lets herself fall for this man, she'll get hurt again? She knew she was the impulsive one between the two of them. She knew that she was someone who would jump into anything on the spot, but in this case, it was like...she suddenly became cautious of her heart, considering the number of times her heart had been broken. 

Her hand suddenly fell to her side, and then, she spoke.

"Please..." She started, her voice breaking. "Don't fall for me." 

___

He felt as if someone took his heart out of his chest and smashed it in the pavement, but he wasn't the one to cry. 

He pulled away from his hold as he looked her, his throat trying to choke up a sob. He somehow knew this was going to happen. He knew he was about to be rejected, but the way her words cut through his heart like a knife was something else than he imagined. In fact, it was worse than what he expected. 

"I...I'm sorry. I didn't really mean to make you feel uncomfortable." He apologized, trying to hold back the feeling of his heart sinking in his chest. 

He wanted to ask her further, though. He wanted to know if that man was the reason why she said those words. He wondered if there was something else in there, but he didn't want to push her into saying something that would make her feel uncomfortable, no matter how much it's killing him to hear the answers. He basks in the silence, and he sees the tears threatening to fall from her eyes. And then, he speaks. 

"I...kind of regret this now. Confessing my feelings this early, I mean." He chuckles humorlessly, trying to relieve the pain in his chest. She stared at him as he spoke, but he was unsure as to what she was feeling. 

"But..." He trailed off. "I don't regret liking you, if that's what you're thinking."

She was still silent, her face was turning a bit red as she stared at him. He wonders if it's okay if he kept talking to her, or else his heart might sting again if it sets off something he'll deeply regret. After a few seconds, he started to speak.

"Is it okay if I hugged you? I mean, it's okay if you don't—" He was cut off when her arms made her way around his back, her fists crumpling up his jacket. He felt her tears soaking up his shirt, and he was cautious enough to hold her gently as they let their emotions settle for a while. He closes his eyes as he tries to erase the moment before, and just leave him with the feeling of having her body wrapped around him for a short time. His hands settle by the nape of her neck, his lips dangerously close to her head, but he doesn't want to push any further than this. He knew he had to let go of it somehow, no matter how hard it would be. 

__

She returns to her room, the guilt in her chest consuming her. 

Was she stupid to say something like that to him? The thought of her words stinging him was enough to keep her up all night. Her fists were crumpling up her pants as she tried to forget the feeling, but it just reminded her of how she held him a few minutes ago, and how she wanted to hold him tighter. She wanted to say how much he liked him too, but was it enough? Were the feelings really for him? Or for her former lover trying to come back in her life once more? She felt so unsure of her feelings to the point that she had to reject him, because she might be wrong on this one too. Can she quit this feeling of holding back? 

She hugs her stuffed bunny close to her chest, and she sobbed to herself until she falls asleep, her tears still stained on her cheeks and her dreams tainted with heartbreak and confusion.

__

He looks up at the ceiling, trying his best not to let the tears fall down, but he couldn't help it. 

He wipes all of the tears that fell, even putting his forearm by his eyes to keep the them from falling. But he didn't want to close his eyes, because it might remind him of her scent: jasmine. Her hair smells like jasmine. He wonders how long will he quit in remembering the little details about her: the way she crumpled up her fist when she hugged him, the way she snuggled into his neck to find a space to keep her tears from falling, the way her heartbeat slowed down when his arms held her tight. He wonders when he'll quit in trying to keep his feelings for her. Can he quit her?

The thought stays to him until he falls asleep, his dreams tainted with hopelessness and regret. 

 

__

 

A/N: it always interested me with what if the situation was switched? With Ji Wook confessing and Bong Hee rejecting him? How would it go if this happened between them? And would the story still flow the same way? Anyways, please don't hurt me with this chapter. Also, I tried my best in making the angst be a bit equal as to the angst I felt in the scene in the drama but idk if I did it justice tho haha. Hope you all enjoyed (??) this chapter!