Food for the Thought (and for Bickering Spouses)

The Little Things and Other Possibilities

“Well, if you didn't insist so much in that case then maybe you wouldn't be in this position! ”

“Well, I’m sorry that you had to marry such a dumb lawyer who makes ty decisions in her part!” 

Ji Wook rubbed his temples in frustration, and Bong Hee is heaving from the anger pent up in her chest. When she came back from court after a failure of a case, Ji Wook had to point it out to her that he already warned her beforehand that it wasn't going to work no matter what, which escalated quickly into a screaming match between the two of them. The argument didn't seem to settle as her case progressed, and when the court finally gave the sentence to her client, it seems as if everything exploded right in their faces. It was a hard pill to swallow for Bong Hee, despite the fact that she had lost cases before, but she couldn't help but feel dejected at everything that she had done before. They couldn't even look at each other in the eye, the anger still simmering in them. Bong Hee sighed, before closing the door of their bedroom, before walking downstairs to reside in her own room for the meantime. And as the night fell, Ji Wook knew that they would be eating and sleeping alone for tonight until God knows when. 

__

One of the things that Bong Hee hated during their fights is the fact that she had to make her food by herself, knowing how she wouldn't even want to look at Ji Wook's face every time they fought because it would either make her: a) angrier by the second or; b) cry by the sight of him. It was nothing in between when it comes to her emotions for him during fights, so in order to keep her feelings neutral, she had to step away from Ji Wook for a second. So when the dawn finally stretched in the horizon, she took it to herself to grab a few eggs, and a few side dishes and condiments to attempt making something out of them as her breakfast. Of course, she had to make it as quiet as possible in order for him not to wake up suddenly, since the last thing she wanted was for him to see her fail in one of the things they both knew that she couldn't do. She starts by heating up the pan and putting some cooking oil in it, before cracking her eggs, only for the yolk to suddenly break, and for a fragment of a shell to drop into the egg. 

", !" She cursed, before carefully taking the piece out with a spoon, before attempting to grab it using her two fingers. In turn, her reflexes made her drop the spoon on the ground, a string of expletives leaving from her lips further as she picked up the spoon and shook her hand that had the burned fingers. She noticed that the sides of the egg were browning quickly and she had to flip it with a spatula or else it would be too late, but alas, the moment she turned her eggs, the undersides were already dark brown, and the eggs were getting more and more overcooked to the point that when she took them out of the pan, all she had left were two, irregularly shaped, flat and floppy brown discs. She cringed at the result of her cooking, feeling ashamed that even the simple task of cooking eggs was already a challenge for her, as if there's nothing else she could do right. She sighed as she cleaned the counter and the utensils and threw her eggs in the trash bin, and right on cue, her stomach grumbled. 

"," she spoke. "What else is there for me to destroy?" 

She trudged towards the refrigerator, only to find nothing but a few bundles of lettuce and some other leaves in his chiller. She sighed, before taking out the leaves and decided to prepare a salad for herself instead. 

"Oh well," she whispered. "At least I won't burn this one." 

Ji Wook comes down just in time as she finished making her salad, and when she turned around to go to the dining table, she freezed at his presence, before taking a deep breath and reverting her gaze to the table as she took a seat. Suddenly, she hears a sizzle in the background, and the aroma of vegetables and spices filled the air, and at that moment, she realized that she needed the dressing for her salad. She closed her eyes in embarrassment, not really willing to be with him at the moment, but her salad was bland, and she needed the flavor to at least make it edible in her taste. She makes a beeline towards the refrigerator in hopes that he'll be busy in whatever he's cooking, but the moment that she opened the refrigerator, he was also there to grab a few ingredients as well. They stood in awkward silence, before Ji Wook sighed and took something out of the refrigerator, before walking back to the stove. Bong Hee bit her tongue to suppress the dismay in her features as she took out the vinaigrette and walked back to her seat. She drizzled the dressing lightly onto the salad before she dug into it, sighing to herself as she crushed the leafy vegetables with her fork. Halfway through her slow salad-eating, Ji Wook sat down in front of her, not even sparing her a glance, before digging into his fried rice. The sight of the food made her stomach grumble, but she was persistent. She sighed as she took another bite of her salad, and it's as if her sighs are only getting louder with every bite of her salad, to the point that Ji Wook was getting annoyed. In turn, when Ji Wook has had enough, he slides the plate of the barely touched fried rice towards her, and Bong Hee's mouth stops chewing, a sigh of relief leaving her as she slid her plate of salad aside to dig into the fried rice heartily. She feels as if she could cry at the moment, but she wouldn't give him the credit just yet. Ji Wook tapped his fingers onto the table as he watched his wife dig into his food, even though he feels annoyed at her, there was still the feeling of comfort and happiness watching her eat, knowing that this was the sight he sees every day for the rest of his life, and if he's being honest, he will never get tired of it. When the plate was finally done, she stands up and makes a beeline to the sink to wash the plates and utensils she used. As she put on her gloves, Ji Wook placed another empty plate by the side of the sink, but before he could walk away from her, he let out a few words.

"Just so you'd know," he started. "Arugulas and spinach are a better combination." 

She sighed to herself as she continued washing the plates. "Well I'm sorry that your wife could barely make a decent salad for herself, just like the other things I lack in."

"I think we can both agree that you lack in some things." He replied. "But that doesn't mean that you're useless. Jagi, you can kick anybody's in a way that I couldn't. Your empathy towards your clients is something that I couldn't even have myself. Your intuition can sense things from miles away. Just because you have ty skills in some parts, doesn't mean that you're a useless person. You're more than capable in doing things that some people can't. Stop degrading yourself." 

Bong Hee sighed to herself as she continued washing the dishes, but Ji Wook was quick to scoot beside her once more as he wrapped an arm around her waist, before pressing a kiss to her temple. 

"You're my strong, pretty, Level 4 Taekwondo black belter, lawyer wife that kicks in court and outside of it, even though you don't shower sometimes." 

She seethes at him at the mention of her usual habit, but he was quick to squeeze her chin using his fingertips to make up for it. "Hey, at least you still look beautiful even if you don't take baths for days." 

"I get the point." She rolled her eyes. "How about you? Are you going to eat? Should we have some food delivered?" 

"Nah, I'll be fine." He replied, before giving the side of her waist a squeeze, causing her to jolt towards him and for her to hit his chest in return. Ji Wook was quick to steal a kiss from her though, but she was willing to return the feel of his lips on hers as she placed her wet, glove covered hands on his cheeks, causing him to groan in disgust, and for her to laugh at him during the kiss. 

"You sure?" 

"Mhm." He nodded. "Don't worry about me. You need all the food you could get." 

But despite the fact that Ji Wook gave her his plate of fried rice, he knew that she would beg for his plate beforehand, so he had to place another plate full of fried rice inside his microwave for later. Little did he know, she knew that he would spare himself another plate either way. It was just how they were, and they wouldn't have it either way even if they tried.