The Morning After

The Little Things and Other Possibilities

Something about Bong Hee's bed feels different. Her back feels a bit cold, and it aches from being in a certain position for too long not to mention the fact that her blanket was so short that it only covered half of her body. Suddenly, the soft illusion of her bed disappears, and then she realizes she's not on a bed, nor in her home in the first place. Her eyes open, and something about her surroundings sends her in a shock, especially the words that first popped into her mind.

"Do you want to sleep with me?"

The memory made her bolt up, and she takes in account the room she's in: she's beside a leather ottoman and a coffee table, and then she realizes that she's in a living room. She examines her clothes in shock as well: her shirt is unevenly buttoned, her blazer is haphazardly laid on the sofa, and another wave of shock sets in as she sees that a man's blazer is actually hiding her small figure. Memories are now suddenly hitting her like a bullet train: her getting drunk, her doing drunk aegyo in front of a man, and the worst of it all, the image of her pushing him down the ottoman, with her brazenly laying on top of him as she pouted her lips at him.

"Did I..." She trailed off, pointing at the ottoman, "throw myself at him?"

Suddenly, an unclear image of her leaning into his chest and her lips moving towards him made her cringe, and she flails around the small space like a mad woman. Eun Bong Hee has done a lot of stupid things in her lifetime, but maybe this one might be the cherry on top of it all. She suddenly wishes that the earth would swallow her whole, never to be seen in this world again. She stands up and collects herself, grabbing her small bag from underneath the coffee table as she tried to make a plan on how she can escape this situation without explaining herself or causing further embarrassment. She walked around the house for the sign of its owner, and she made her way upstairs, only to hear the sound of the shower running. Bong Hee's cheeks flush in heat, and she steps away from the bathroom in panic.

"What am I gonna do?" She asked herself, a million possibilities on how it all could go wrong going inside her mind.

"Should I thank him? Greet him? Apologize to him? Or—"

Her train of thought was suddenly halted when the bathroom door opened, and the action picks up her adrenaline as she runs for cover, only to trip over a segment of a rug as she falls down on the hardwood floor. The man, who was wearing a bathrobe to cover his body, was also shocked by her presence, but immediately ran towards her as he helped her up.

"I'm fine." She spoke as she covered her face in embarrassment, but the little bruise that was forming on her knee says otherwise. 

"What were you doing?" He asked her as she watched her stand up and arrange her hair. 

"I'm—I don't know." She sighed as she scratched her head. He watched her in her little dilemma as she hid her face from him in shame. 

"Were you about to leave?" He asked her, a solemn tone in his voice, but there was a bit of amusement in it too. She nodded in response, still not meeting his eyes. 

"Would you...uh...like some breakfast before you go?" He asked as he rubbed his wet scalp with a towel. Bong Hee blinked in response, the internal conflict still bothering her. It would be nice, she thought to herself, and along with that thought, her stomach grumbled. She looked back at the man in front of him, his eyebrows lifted up at her in amusement. Suddenly, another image pops in her mind, she then remembered him in the subway, and then, she shakes his head at him in disgust.

"I wouldn't want to share my mornings with a ert, to be honest." 

This made the man in front of her frown. "I told you, it wasn't me." 

"I still don't believe that statement." 

"I actually accommodated you as a guest in my home, and now you want to make me look like a bad guy?" 

"It still doesn't change the fact that you d me."

"It wasn't me!" He exasperated. 

"Whatever." She rolled her eyes at him as she went down the stairs. But his hurried footsteps made her stop, and she turns back towards him.

"What now?" She snapped back at him. "I'm leaving now, since this situation is a bit out of hand now." 

She witnessed him have this inner conflict with himself. "At least have breakfast before you go." 

It was her turn to raise her eyebrows at him. "I'm not going to you or anything! I—I mean...aish! It wasn't me! Please believe me!" 

She pressed her lips together at his outburst to keep herself from laughing, and she sighs at him in response. "Fine, I'll stay, but at least put on some clothes first. And I'm staying away from you at a considerable distance." 

__

She stayed for a few reasons: for her to have her fill, and also, to find out if something happened last night or not. She sat on the dining table as she waited for the man to finish in cooking their breakfast. They were having haejang-guk that he made, and even when he served her bowl, she looked back at him in suspicion.

"Are you sure this isn't poisoned?" She asked right before his spoonful of soup enters his mouth. He looked at her in annoyance.

"Why would you even think of that?" He spoke, his eyebrows furrowed at her question. She sighed in response, taking her spoon and eating the meal he prepared. She doesn't really want to admit that he was a good cook, since she still had a grudge towards him. Although, she was impressed by how accommodating he has been towards her after everything else. Speaking of which, when she was halfway done with her meal, she spoke up again. 

"Did you slap me last night?"

He looked back at her with his eyebrows raised. "Excuse me?"

She looked up from her bowl to face him as he waited for her response. "It's strange that when I woke up, my face felt sore as if someone hit me. Did you hit me?"

He furrowed his eyebrows at her accusation. "No! Why would I ever hit you? I would never hit a woman in my life."

"Then what did you do to make my face feel sore then?" She asked him in confusion. 

She watched him sigh in response and speak under his breath, something along the lines of "I should have never held her face that hard," or something similar to that. She didn't press onto the matter further as she continued with her meal. There were a lot of things that needed to be talked about, especially the blurred images and the missing memories from last night, and even when they were finished eating, even if he insisted that she can freshen up in the washroom by the guest room he had, she went towards him as he washed the dishes nonchalantly. 

"Did anything else happen last night?" She asked him. 

"In what context exactly? Should we go on how you accused me of being a ert and slapping you? Or with you drunkenly saying and doing things?" He said as he kept his gaze on the bowl he was scrubbing. 

She cringed at his response, feeling a bit embarrassed over some things. "I'm sorry, but I really want to know if there was anything else that happened..."

She was trying to divert her question to that one little memory in her mind. It was quite difficult to actually talk about the entire "throwing herself at him" fiasco in such a way that it won't sound awkward for the both of them.

"What do you mean exactly?" He asked her as he washed the utensils next. 

"Did we sleep together or not?" She spoke, and it was as if he was merely affected by her statement, and it was actually frustrating her at this moment. 

"Hmm..." He started. "I've seen things, and I'm not a saint to say the least."

"We did it, didn't we?" She asked with dread as she watched him place the clean utensils in the cabinet before turning towards her, a taunting smile on his face.

"I don't know." He said before walking past her to go upstairs. 

"Aish! This man is going to drive me nuts." She grumbled under her breath as he watched his figure disappear. She took her time to go to the washroom near the guest room that he said before, and when she faced the mirror, it's like another wave of embarrassment sinks inside her. 

"Wow." She said as she took in her appearance in the mirror: her lipstick was smudged, her hair looked like a bird's nest, and her eye make-up looked like a mess as she took in the residues of mascara on her eyes. "I really hate myself."

She washed her face in shame and fixed her hair by putting it up in a ponytail. The worst thing about this entire thing was the fact that she actually faced him in that state, with him looking fresh as a daisy and with her looking like a nightmare. She doesn't want to admit it, but she still couldn't believe that she actually faced a really handsome guy while looking like a mess, as if she could add that to her list of things to be humiliated about in her life. She sighed to herself at her little predicament before she straightened herself up and let out a sigh. "It's only a bad day, not a bad life." 

When she left the washroom, she found him going down the stairs while adjusting his watch. She slowly walked towards the door as he was a bit preoccupied with his watch. He looked up from his wrist as he gestured towards the door. "I'll take you home."

She nodded towards him before they made their way out the house. When they finally buckled up and he was driving in the highway, a thought suddenly struck her. 

"Why did you take the subway last night if you have a car?" She looked towards him as he kept his eyes on the road. 

"I was early to work yesterday, and I thought it would be nice to save some gas to say the least." He shrugged as he did an overtake over a car. After that, there was just silence. She insisted that she would just drop off somewhere near the quaint coffee shop by her street, and before she could step out, she turned towards him. 

"Look, I'm sorry for everything that happened last night. But I really hope that this is the last time that we'll ever meet." She spoke, not looking at his direction before bowing towards him in gratitude. The man tried to talk, but before he could even let a single word pass his lips, she was already running away from him. Once she thought she was at a considerable distance, she walks a little slower than before, sighing to herself. 

"I hope we'll never cross paths again." She whispered under her breath, but Fate was also a weird one persay, because she suddenly heard footsteps right behind her, and when she turned around, it was the man again, but this time, he was holding her compact, his breathing uneven from catching up towards her.

"If you don't want to meet me again, at least give me a reason not to." He said before taking her hand and placing the compact on her palm. 

"But if we do meet again," he spoke, giving her a small smile. "call me Ji Wook."

She was a bit stunned at least, but after a few beats, she snapped out of her daze. "I highly doubt it that we'll meet again."

He smiled towards her in amusement, but she gave him a serious look as she pointed her pointer finger at him. "But I'm serious, I really hope this is the last time we'll meet again. Have fun with your life, stranger."

"You won't tell me your name?" He raised his eyebrows at her.

"Sorry, I'm not fond in giving my names to strangers." She spoke as she turned around and walked away from him after that, and she assumed that the silence that followed suit was because he also left, assuming that he also had a few errands as well. As she walked further, she sighed to herself as she looked at her surroundings. Somehow, the past 24 hours had been one of the strangest hours she's ever experienced in her life, and she hoped somehow that this was going to be the last of it for her.

Little did she know, that it was far from over. In fact, it was only their beginning. 

 

____

A/N: I'm so sorry for the delay of the drabbles. Life has been keeping me on my toes, as well as it has been serving me a few heartbreaks and some changes. I'm also writing a few things for the time being, but I'm not sure if I can post them immediately, since I do have a lot of things to handle, as well as the fact that I'm trying my best to cope with my personal problems and handling my daily life. To be honest, this break has been a breather, and I think I might not post that much as I used to since I'm trying my best to focus on myself now, but I also want to cope with how I'm dealing with this drama slump by helping you guys in this drabble. Anyways, this drabble kind of explains itself, I guess? Like what if Bong Hee actually stayed in the morning and didn't leave him like in episode 1. Again, I'm sorry if this is a bit boring to say the least. I hope you guys won't get too disappointed with me. Also, I have a few drabbles that might get posted soon, just as soon I get over this slump or actually go through writing the drabbles without bursting into a fit of giggles.

I love you all, please stay well, even for the time being. 

Love, Z.