The First of Many

The Little Things and Other Possibilities

"Noh Ji Wook!" 

Eun Bong Hee shouted for her husband as she settled the food by the table in their patio, the little garden decorated with balloons and a few streamers. She was thanking the heavens that the weather outside was just right as she hung the other decorations around the table and the wall behind it. She shouts for her husband again, only to find him stepping on a chair as he helped her hang the sign on the wall. He moved towards the other side to hang her side of the sign that she was struggling to put on the wall. She silently cursed her body on why she wasn't blessed with being tall. Ji Wook stepped down from the chair he stood on, and Bong Hee looks at him before he holds on to her waist and lifts her off the chair with a bit of struggle.

"Aish, I can get off it by myself." She remarked, slapping her husband's chest, only for him to hold onto her waist a little tighter and tickle her sides, causing her to laugh so hard that she steps on his right foot.

"Ya!" He screamed in pain, letting go of his wife's waist and wincing as he assessed his foot. "You already dropped a pile of cases on my foot a few hours ago, give me a break!"

"It was an accident!" Bong Hee screamed back at him as she reassessed the sign on the wall, as well as the food on the table before going back to arrange some tables and chairs. 

While he was wincing in pain, Ji Wook looked back at the sign on the wall, and he felt a sense of warmth and happiness as he read the message of the tarpaulin his wife got a few hours ago. The theme was green, and it was adorable to see the picture of their little bundle of joy with the words "Happy First Birthday!" written across it. He never actually thought of surviving one year with a child, but now, here he was, a husband and a proud father of Noh Hye Kyo, the one he considered as the second best thing that happened to him, aside from getting married to Bong Hee, of course. Somehow, the picture they took of her made his heart feel warm. He still remembered the painful delivery day like it was yesterday, wherein Bong Hee's screams were so loud that it almost pierced his eardrums, and he was outside the delivery room during that time. And on a faithful spring morning, just when the sun rose in the horizon, Noh Hye Kyo was crying in Bong Hee's arms, drained from the energy she exerted from the delivery. Ever since then, their world has changed for the better, despite the pain and the sleepless nights they had just to make her stop crying. Now, they were already celebrating a year with their first child, and he couldn't be any happier even if they tried. 

"Ya, Ji Wook! How is my precious granddaughter doing?" Young Hee asked, his wife in tow as they walked inside their house and saw the decorations. 

"She's sleeping in the crib upstairs." He whispered. "It took a good five hours before she slept soundly right now. Please be considerate of our sleep deprivation." 

"Ah, I see." Young Hee replied, and just as he spoke, Hong Bok Ja was already running up the steps, her lips pressed together to quietly see her grandchild. Ji Wook's exasperation on her adoptive mother did not go unnoticed by his adoptive father, which left him running up the steps as well, trying to avoid anything that could waste the efforts of the married couple that tried to make their daughter sleep. 

On the other hand, Bong Hee was making sure that the food they've ordered and prepared look presentable on the table, as well as the cake they've set up. It was a cute bright green fondant covered cake with a miniature figure of Hye Kyo, which was also made in fondant. Seeing how the place was decorated and how the cake looked made her think about the time that she didn't want to have children in the first place. She thought about how tiring it was to handle a child, judging by how her friends looked after conceiving a child and how they were holding up as they raised them, as well as the fact that she felt like she wouldn't have the time to handle her child like she wanted to. Fast forward to a few years later, she was a contented mother of a beautiful daughter, despite the fact that she was a haggard mess and an emotional one as well. Fortunately, her husband was patient enough to take care of the both of them, despite the fact that his cases would test his temper sometimes. Overall, she was thankful that she was sharing this experience of parenthood with her husband. They both knew that they wanted to be the best for their daughter, given the fact that they both have a painful history when it came to their own parents. So, Ji Wook did not hesitate to spoil their princess with nothing but the best for her. She didn't even expect that he would be the parent that would document almost everything about their little girl. He was there when she first crawled, when she first rolled over, when she first took a bath, when she first attempted to mumble something, and everything else. It warmed her heart knowing how much they loved their daughter, and it was something that they didn't regret for one second.

"Bbong!" Her mother interrupted her thoughts as she walked into the garden, a gift in her hand as she went over to her. "Oh my little girl. How is my little grandchild doing?"

"She's sleeping upstairs, eomma. I'll get her down later for the party." She replied as she watched her mother go inside the house.

"I hope we're not too late with the festivities," Eun Hyuk spoke as he walked in the space with Yoo Jung in tow, a few gifts in their hands. "I had to make a quick run by a store in Gangnam since the gift I wanted to buy was sold out in Insadong. How's the little Bbong?" 

"She's sleeping." Bong Hee sighed. "It took us a good five hours to get her to sleep. Hopefully she'll wake up later for the party at least. I'm not even done decorating!"

And just as she said that, she hears the wail of a child, causing her to let out a long sigh before going inside the house, only to find the commotion between the two mothers, with Ji Wook holding Hye Kyo protectively while she was crying all over his shoulder.

"I can't believe you almost dropped our grandchild!" Young-soon spoke as they made their way downstairs.

"You suddenly went up and scared me! You could have at least made your presence known!" 

"The child was sleeping! Do you think I would be screaming about how I'm here?" 

"You could have at least whispered that you're here!"

As the two women were fighting, Bong Hee inconspicuously went over to Ji Wook's side as they went upstairs to calm their daughter down. The two let out a sigh as they swayed the child to calm her down, even with Bong Hee attempting to at least hum a tune towards her. It really doesn't fail to surprise Ji Wook by just how effective Bong Hee's out-of-tune melody was causing Hye Kyo to calm down, whereas when he attempted to at least hum her a Mozart melody, it just makes her cry even harder. 

"How is it that she hates me singing something to her?" Ji Wook whispered as Hye Kyo's cries died down and stared unknowingly at her parents. 

"I have no idea either." She spoke before she continued her off-key melody, causing the infant to smile at the two. The smiles on their faces widened as her little fingers tried to reach for her father's face, and Ji Wook immediately kissed her forehead softly, as well as Bong Hee, who kissed her supple cheeks. 

"Happy birthday, Hye Kyo." The couple greeted their little girl as she let out a laugh before flinging herself onto her father, wrapping her small arms around his neck. Ji Wook happily made his way down the steps, with Bong Hee guiding him as she placed a hand on his back. When they finally arrived downstairs, the entire room erupts in awe as they watched the little girl staring at the guests, before burying her face into his father's neck in retreat. 

Just like her mother, Ji Wook thought to himself. 

The little family made their way to the garden, where the food and decorations were all set, thanks to Yoo Jung and Eun Hyuk's help, as well as Na Ji Hye with a small little box in her hands and Bang Eun Ho, who was patiently waiting with a box of cake in his hands. 

"I hope you two won't mind if I brought an extra cake to the ocassion." He replied with a wide smile. 

"Not at all, Mr. Bang." Bong Hee replied as they stopped by the edge of the table where the cake stood. As Bong Hee lights up the single candle on the cake, Hye Kyo erupts in an applause, causing the small group to laugh at the young girl. Suddenly, everyone was singing and clapping their hands as they wished Noh Hye Kyo a happy birthday, and as they paused to make a wish, Ji Wook wished that their little girl would grow up to be a bright young woman, while Bong Hee wished that she would be a strong woman once she grows up. But just as when the couple would blow the candles, the two mothers halted them before taking out their phones, trying to record the moment, and surprisingly, as the two huffed for a breath, Hye Kyo herself blew the small candle, causing the group to erupt in cheers, leaving her parents to laugh at the moment. 

"She's only a year old and she's already taking an initiative. I feel proud." Ji Hye spoke as she smiled at the little girl. 

"She's going places, I can tell." Bong Hee chuckled as she held her daughter in her hands. "No wonder her father is a fool for her."

"Stop it, you're giving me baby fever just by talking to your daughter." Ji Hye spoke in disgust before making her way to Yoo Jung and Eun Hyuk, who were busy flirting with each other.

Bong Hee couldn't help but smile at the little bundle of joy in her hands as she tried to grab her cake. "That's all for you, my love. Don't worry, mommy's going to give you a small slice."

As Hye Kyo was continuously trying to grab her cake, Ji Wook immediately went to Bong Hee's side and grabbed her from his wife's hands as she cut a small slice of cake. Long story short, Hye Kyo made a mess of her green dress as she wiped the frosting from her hands. The commotion was enough for everyone to take pictures and videos of it as they laughed at the moment. Overall, as they all ate their meals and bonded over the current cases through a few glasses of alcohol (sans Bong Hee, since she was still feeding Hye Kyo and it was for a good precaution), they celebrated Hye Kyo's one year in this world with nothing but thankful, contented hearts. Thankful that their little girl is happy and healthy, thankful that their jobs are stable and have good pay at least, and thankful that Ji Wook and Bong Hee's marriage is strong and full of love even after everything they've been through. 

It was enough, they were enough, and that's all that mattered to them. 

 

__

 

A/N: It has been a long time since I added a drabble in this book. Please do forgive me since I focused on the other fic, as well as I took a break to focus on personal matters. I hope you would understand. 

Also, I have a few more drabbles that I have yet to finish and post, but you would probably get them someday I don't know. Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this short drabble, since I kind of missed them after a long time of not writing about them. I hope all of you are well.