Spaces Between Us

The Little Things and Other Possibilities

He always wondered who was the first to break between the two of them.

He didn't know when did everything started going downhill, but what he knew was that the fights were getting worse, the calls and messages were getting more delayed, and even at times they didn't speak at all. They ate at different times and at different places. They never slept in the same bed, and every time they tried talking to each other, they couldn't get through it without shouting at each other. Tonight, he sat by the dining table, waiting for her to come home after a night out with the attorneys in the law firm. It didn't help at all knowing that there was one attorney in the firm that was a little too close to her. And when he meant by too close, he meant the late night calls he kept leaving her, the moments where he kept talking to her by the porch, making her laugh and whatnot. It didn't help at all that he was also her first love. He knew their activities because he told Eun Hyuk to keep an eye out for them. It even brought him to a point where he would leave early from his work to check up on her, but there would be times that she would act as if he wasn't there. Ji Wook didn't want to think about it, but it feels as if he didn't exist in her life at all. 

Suddenly, he hears the gate open and the soft shuffle of footwear before her footsteps made her way towards the door. He looked at the door to witness Bong Hee walking inside the room, hanging her bag by the coat rack. She rubs her eyes, and when she sees Ji Wook, she sighed to herself. He watched her as she walked inside the bathroom and closing the door behind her. Suddenly, her bag buzzed, and he's guessing that it was a text message. Curiosity got the best of him as he carefully made his way towards her bag. He knew he wasn't allowed to do this, but after everything that has been happening, he needed to make sure if what he thought was true. He opens her phone, and just as he expected, his heart sinks in his chest. 

"Dong Hae: I miss you. I hope you'll sleep well tonight. Thank you for today, my love."

His heart constricted in his chest. It didn't help that her phone didn't have a passcode, so when he started going over their text messages, he didn't notice Bong Hee coming out of the bathroom, her body in a state of shock. She saw the tears starting to form in Ji Wook's eyes as he went through every single message, and he started read out all of them, not taking his eyes off her phone.

"Are you sure this is going to be okay?" Ji Wook read out Bong Hee's message.

"Stop." Bong Hee whispered. 

"We won't get caught, I promise you that." He read out Dong Hae's words.

"Ji Wook." 

"I know I can treat you better than he ever could." Ji Wook read another message from Dong Hae, his voice breaking as he was close to tears. Bong Hee walked towards him, trying to grab her phone back, but her grip was too slippery that it caused the phone to fall on the floor. She looked up to see the man she loved, his eyes bloodshot and his lips trembling as he choked up a sob. 

He whispered her response to Dong Hae's message. "I know you would."

Bong Hee was silent, her hands trembling in regret and shock. She couldn't exactly believe what was happening. Here she was, caught red-handed by the man that loved her so. 

"You are violating my right to having my privacy—" Bong Hee started to speak.

"Why?" He asked after a long period of silence. She was suddenly speechless, her hard gaze was trained on him. Every second of silence to him was like needles prickling into his heart one by one. Everything came crashing down all at once, and all he could think of was...why?

"Did...Did I do something wrong? Was I not enough for you?" He spoke, his heart breaking at every single word he let out of his mouth. She didn't answer, her quiet sobs covering up what she wanted to say.

"What is it? What did I do wrong?" Ji Wook pleaded, his knees feeling like they were about to buckle. "Please? What did I do wrong? Am I boring? Am I not enough?"

Her heart breaks with the words on the tip of her tongue. "It feels like...you don't care for me anymore."

The sentence makes Ji Wook feel like his heart was stomped into dust. He didn't believe what was coming out of .

He shook his head in disbelief, the tears still falling from his eyes. "How could you say that?" 

Bong Hee tried to hold back a sob. "You..." She spoke. "You don't make time for me anymore. You were always busy at work. Every time I wanted to call you, your phone was off. Your messages are always delayed. And we fight so much these days. I had to find someone who actually wanted to listen to me and to comfort me. And you? Do you even care?"

If only she knew the times he still cooked her dinner when she was coming home late. If only she knew that he always covered her with a blanket every time she wanted to sleep on the ottoman outside his room. If only she knew it killed him watching her getting close to someone else, the once bright smile that was meant for him was shining towards someone else. This time, he didn't stop his tears from falling, his heart too scorned from the words she left. 

"I have done everything to make you happy." He started, his voice jagged from choking back his tears. "I thought what I did was enough. Why didn't you tell me that you felt this way in the first place?" 

She couldn't look him in the eyes anymore. She didn't know what to do. Her gaze was trained on the phone on the floor. Who knew everything that happened between will come crashing down because of one of them. 

He always wondered who was the first to break between the two of them. And it looks like he's about to get his answer. 

He immediately grabbed her hands, begging her not to turn away. "Please, please tell me what to do."

She closes her eyes, not willing to look back at him, but this makes him beg harder. He drops to his knees as he looks up at her. "Please Bong Hee, please tell me. Please?"

"Ji Wook—"

"What do you want me to do?"

"Ji Wook—"

 

___

 

"—Ji Wook!" The man was startled awake as he heard someone call his name. As he opened his eyes, Bong Hee was staring right at him, a worried look plastered across her face. He immediately reaches for her, his arms winding around her small frame. He closes his eyes again as he sighs in relief, telling himself that it was all just another nightmare for him.

"Is there something wrong?" Bong Hee asked him, returning the hug as she tried to comfort him. She knew it was that time again when she kept hearing his jagged breaths and his quiet sobs. She had to wake him up every time before his nightmares got worse. 

"Bong Hee..." He started, pulling away from their hug as he looked into her eyes. "You...You love me, right? No matter what happens?"

She smiled at him in response before kissing his forehead. "Of course, I will. Why do you ask?"

He sighed to himself. "It's just...If you feel like I'm not enough for you, please tell me. Please don't give us up that easily."

She wiped the tears that fell from his eyes and kissed him. He didn't even need to hear her words. Her presence and her actions were enough for him to understand her love for him. When they pull away, she whispered between the gap of their lips. "I love you."

He smiled in relief. "I love you too."

They stayed in each other's arms until sleep consumed them, but something else keeps Ji Wook at night. The moment his eyes were about to close, something buzzes by the side of his bed. Her phone just received a text message, but Ji Wook's conscience won't let him get this one away. When his eyes were fixated on the words on the screen, he wondered how far exactly was his woman from him, despite their physical proximity. He wondered how far was her heart from him. He wondered how many spaces between them were enough for them move drift apart from each other. The thought suddenly scares him, causing him to doubt if he wants to hold her tighter or not. He wanted to confront her at this moment, but it was like his body betrayed him to do so. He closes his eyes, a few tears shed before he drifted off to sleep.

"Dong Hae: I'll see you tomorrow, love."

 

___

A/N: So...let's say we switched the roles once again between these two (referring to the previous chapter). And again, this is a drabble, meaning there are a lot of possibilities as to what can happen. I'm pretty aware that Ji Wook and Bong Hee are not really like this (heck they love each other to death tbfh) in the drama. Anyways, please forgive me for some minor inconsistencies. Hope you enjoy this drabble as well!