Keep Your Promise

The Little Things and Other Possibilities

-- Disclaimer: this fic is not connected to the fifth drabble of this book, rather it's a new setting, but with somewhat a same feel as the fifth fic.---

She walked towards the closet with determination in her eyes, eyeing the one dress she had been hiding behind the closet after some time. The dress was reserved for special events, but she thought about how this time, she needed a little push in her look. The dress fits her like a glove, hugging her curves and highlighting her figure, the black velvet giving her a darker and a more sophisticated vibe, but also touching on a more sensual style. She sighed to herself as she looked at the fit of the dress. She knew she looked good somehow in this dress, and she would've been happy with how she looked, but her move this time was somewhat more of a way to cope up with the anger boiling up inside her. You can't survive like this anymore, she thought to herself as she nodded at her reflection. She's determined somehow to alleviate her anger as she brushes her hair and puts on her make-up, making sure the red tint stays on her lips for a long time. Anger stirs into apathy as she walked towards the door and grabs her heels and purse, her determination to look good and feel good getting stronger as she made her way outside their house with one goal in mind: get her mind off of her husband. 

She knew everything was going downhill when their conversations got shorter, to the point that they would wake up at different times and not even greet each other when they get home. There are times that he would come home so late that he sleeps on the couch instead, not bothering to go up and greet his worrying wife that was up all night to wait for him. It was like they weren't married at all, and even at times when she initiates contact, he flinches away from her. There were times that she tolerated it, but the fact that he didn't come home tonight, out of all nights, was enough for her to be fed up and have fun by herself. She doesn't even bother to leave a note or a trace that she would be out for the night. She was so tired of always being the one who cared so much, only to get nothing in return. She made her way towards the car, calling up Ji Hye and Yoo Jung in the process as she drove to the city, trying to find a club or some place where she can actually enjoy herself without being in the confines of their lifeless home. The three women agreed to meet up in a club in the heart of the city, and when they got there, they knew they were up for something tonight. 

They made their way to a table by the dance floor, witnessing different bodies bumping against each other to syncopate with the beat, either to have fun or forget their worries. After Ji Hye opted to order a few light drinks for the three of them, Bong Hee requested something a little heavier than usual. Once the drinks arrived, Bong Hee downed her drink in one gulp, even asking for another one. Ji Hye and Yoo Jung look at each other in worry as they witnessed their companion drinking as if there was no tomorrow. 

"Alright..." Ji Hye spoke, grabbing the glass in her hands before she downs it straight like a mad man once again. "What happened?"

Bong Hee didn't respond. Instead, she reaches out for the drink in Ji Hye's grasp, but the woman was quick enough to move it away and pass the drink on to Yoo Jung. 

"Ya, Eun Bong Hee!" Ji Hye exclaimed, shaking her shoulders. Bong Hee responds with an apathetic look and chuckles humourlessly to herself, the reason of why she invited them to the club popping back in her mind. 

She actually planned to visit him one time in his office after a trial to tell him about the case she won over, but just as she was about to ride the elevator, she found him in the empty hallway with his suitcase in his hand, and the other placed behind another woman's back, carressing her and looking at her lovingly, even whispering something in her ear. Just when he was about to turn to the direction of the elevator, it fortunately closed before he could see the heartbreak and anger on her face. She didn't want to believe it, but her intuition was never wrong in the first place. She held her breath and pressed the button to go down to the carpark instead, but it didn't last long as the tears started to fall down on her face, her small hands gripping the railings until her knuckles turned white. As the elevator opened, the people waiting by it were giving her looks of sympathy and worry, but she wiped her tears away and walked away with her head held high. Somehow, she knew it was her. The new prosecutor was actually assigned in the office next to his own, and she usually saw her come out of her office when she visited Ji Wook sometimes. Sometimes, she could feel her eyes burning onto the back of her husband's head whenever they encounter her in the cafeteria. Somehow, she knew how agitated Ji Wook feels whenever they're together and he looks by the doors of his office every time they're together. It felt as if she was the side character in their own little affair, and the thought made her want to down another shot of alcohol and loosen herself up. 

"You know what's happening with Prosecutor Kang Ji An and Ji Wook?" She slurred, the bitter tone laced within her words. Yoo Jung and Ji Hye look at each other with a knowing look, and her suspicions were right after all. 

"Great, even you two know it. How is it that I'm always the last to know?" She shouted that last part, slamming her hand on the table in anger. 

"Bong Hee-yah..." Yoo Jung tried to calm her down. 

"Screw it!" Bong Hee screamed louder, standing up as she made her way towards the dance floor. She was about to go down the steps, but her blurry vision caused her to stumble by the steps, only to have her arm caught by someone. 

"Eun Bong Hee?" A familiar voice called out to her. She looked to her side only to meet with the man she was familiar with before, almost too familiar in fact.

"Lee Hyun?" She asked as she stared at her ex-boyfriend. It has been four years since they broke up after he left her to work outside the country, but they ended on good terms and remained friends, but it has been so long since they last contacted each other, until tonight that is.

"You look amazing tonight." He complemented as he leaned close to her ear, the upbeat music trying to drown his voice. Bong Hee felt a little shiver as his lips were a bit close to her ear and when he pulled away to give her a smirk. 

"Thank you!" She exclaimed. "You don't look too bad yourself!"

Lee Hyun chuckled at her remark. "It's been a long time since we talked, you know?"

She leaned in close to make her point clear. "We should go out sometimes, like the good old days."

They kept their close proximity as he replied to her. "I'd like that too."

Bong Hee pulled away and looked around their surroundings. "Are you with anyone tonight?"

"Just this colleague at work." He shrugged, but he got a little cautious when he noticed the little glint in Bong Hee's eyes as he suddenly pulled him towards the dance floor, weaving their way through the sweaty bodies moving against each other. Along the way, they saw the colleague that he was referring to as he was jumping and dancing to the lyrics, greeting each other by screaming into each other's ears as the music got louder and the beat started ringing in her ears as well. The lights were suddenly flickering on and off to the beat, and as the music goes by, she moves her arms around Lee Hyun's neck, throwing all caution in the world as her apathy and the alcohol in her veins worked together to make her do something as brash and shameless as dancing with another man, who was not her husband. 

Lee Hyun was a bit apprehensive, though. The moment he saw a gold band on Bong Hee's finger, he knew that she was off-limits, and by the way she was trying to pull him closer, he was getting a little scared for his life that someone might catch them. 

"Bong Hee-ssi," he started, taking her arms away as he settled them by her sides, only for her to glare at him. But when she was about to throw a drunken fit, something stops her completely.

He was here, and he was aggressively making his way towards the dance floor, pushing people away as he made his way towards her. 

"What are you doing?" Ji Wook asked, the anger in his eyes directed at her and Lee Hyun. Bong Hee glared back at him, and Lee Hyun was still choosing between coming in between them or moving away to avoid further conflict.

"I was having fun and enjoying myself in the midst of our wedding anniversary. Can you not tell?" Bong Hee drunkenly admitted. Almost a few people that surrounded them stopped dancing to see the commotion, and it made him angrier. Bong Hee was still apathetic to the point that even when Ji Wook grabbed her wrist for them to leave, she shook him off completely and went back to the space. She couldn't care less if she was dancing with someone else, it didn't compare to where she didn't know that he had been seeing someone else behind her back. She looked back at her table, only to find Ji Hye and Yoo Jung staring at her with a somber expression, mouthing apologies on her way. She shook her head at them as she disappeared further into the crowd to get away from Ji Wook, but he was too fast and before she knew it, he was moving out of the club with her in tow as she was mouthing profanities along his way and slapping his body in the process. The two prosecutors also came out with the couple with Bong Hee's belongings, but when they saw how angry the two were, they decided to give them some space and opt to give her belongings at the right time instead. 

"Why were you out here?" He asked as he tried his best not to seethe through his words. The moment he got a call from Yoo Jung about his wife being a little bit too wild in the club when he came home to an empty house, he immediately went to the venue.

"So now you decided to acknowledge my existence? Or did Yoo Jung call you about what I'm doing inside there?" Her apathetic tone didn't change, and she wanted nothing more than to go back inside the club and forget this even happened. 

"Why are you doing this? And on our wedding anniversary? At this time of the night?" Ji Wook's voice gets louder, as if he was a timebomb slowly ticking until he was about to explode. 

"I should be asking you that question!" She exclaimed, the anger finally taking a toll on her. "Did you just magically remembered my existence and our wedding anniversary while I was gone? Or did you suddenly remember it when you were finished screwing the new prosecutor?!"

Ji Wook was stunned, as if his trance was broken all of a sudden. Bong Hee sees the shift in his demeanor, and she chuckled humourlessly at her husband's shock. "I knew it. It had to be her, and I had to confirm it today out of all days."

"B—Bong Hee-yah..." He spoke as he tried to reach out to her, but she swatted his hand away. 

"What? So you think you have the utmost right to not keep your promise and sleep with another woman, but now I don't have the right to dance with another man?" She spoke, the sarcasm evident in her tone. "If you can't keep your promise, how can you be so sure that I'll keep mine?"

Ji Wook tried to plead at her, but he couldn't say any excuse because it was his mistake in the first place. "I...I'm sorry."

Bong Hee rubs her temples to alleviate her anger, but his words weren't helping. "Do you think that's going to help at all? Do you think one apology is going to make up for the number of times you lied, covered, and slept with her? Do you think I'm that easy?"

She was practically shouting at this point, and all Ji Wook could do is deal with her anger as he looked at her with an apologetic expression. "You were cheated too at one point! Even you witnessed the humiliation I've been through when I knew Hee Joon cheated on me! And then what? History repeating itself?"

Her tears wouldn't stop falling at this point, her anger and the alcohol making her spill everything from her mind. "You son of a b*tch! I can't believe I actually loved you!"

It was Ji Wook's turn to let the tears fall from his eyes as he saw his wife slapping and punching his chest in anger. She was screaming in frustration as Ji Wook took each and every blow that he thought he deserved.

"I loved you! I was patient with you and did my best not to jump into conclusions when it came to you, but I didn't expect it to hurt this way!"

He was silent with her every word. "You son of a b*tch! I was voluntarily tricked! Damn it! Damn you!"

By the time she was worn out, she was sobbing to herself, her palms pressing onto her eyes as she tried to alleviate her pain. Ji Wook wanted to hold her, but even so the slightest touch from him felt like he was burning her. After some time, Bong Hee looked back at him with bloodshot eyes, a stern expression on her face. 

"Let this..." she trailed off, "be the last time you'll ever see me cry like this."

He was silent, but deep inside he knew that something else was coming that he knew was going to break him. As he waited for her words, he braced himself for the impact. 

"Let this..." she spoke again, "be the last time I'll ever cry on my wedding anniversary like this."

He knew where it was going, but it seems as if this will hurt him more than he'll admit it. And to add the final nail to his coffin, he witnessed her doing something that he would never expect her to do: she slid the gold band off her finger, and taking his hand to place it on his palm. 

"Let this be the last time we'll ever celebrate our wedding anniversary, because I'm tired of living like this with you." She sighed, wiping her cheeks from the tears that fell.

"B—Bong Hee-yah, please I'm—I'm so sorry." Ji Wook pleaded, his hands itching to hold her hand, his knees slowly buckling as if his world suddenly out. 

"We'll deal with this again tomorrow. I can't stand seeing or hearing your voice right now." She turned and walked away from him to get to her car to get away from the club, not even bothering to check her things with Ji Hye and Yoo Jung since she'll just get them tomorrow, and also since she has her car keys in a nifty little pocket by her dress. Ji Wook wanted to reach out and hold her for one more plea, but he was too weak and too guilty to do so. And so, as Bong Hee's silhouette fades into the shadows as she gets into her car and drives away, Ji Wook's guilt suddenly consumes him, looking at what was once his world suddenly fade away from him, his mistakes haunting him the farther her car went. 

If only he knew how to keep his promise. Maybe, just maybe, he might've seen another day with the love of his life by his side once more.

 

____

A/N: Wow....that was the longest angst story I've written so far Idk if I'm stopping now with the angst but hey this would be something. 

Also I want to credit this little idea to @Nisha99 :) I hope I did well in the whole "BH got jealous of JW and ignored each other" part! Also mianhe if I didn't meet your expectations :) 

You guys can actually send requests on what I should do for the next drabbles lmao I would highly appreciate it if you gave me some requests.

Also...remember when I said I might not do anything mature?? Welp...I might be experimenting a bit?? But don't get too excited bc it might not pull through bc I have not written anything close to mature and I still feel awkward about it lmaoo

Anyways I hope you guys like this drabble I made!! Sorry if it's been too long I'm having a lot of things to do in uni hahahaha

And...if you think about why and how is the name Lee Hyun familiar, let me show you what he looks like (yes it's Seo In Guk if you're wondering):