Chapter 3

Feelings

Jungkook was determined. Come to think of it when was the last time he ever felt this sense of challenge? As he tried to recall the simple memory, Naeun, a nurse around the thirties pulled him out of his thoughts, when she ordered calmly

“Dr Jeon, can you please pay attention here? You’re going to have to do it on your own so please, don’t doze off when I’m explaining.”

With an embarrassed nod, he focused into memorizing everything the nurse was saying. When she was done, she moved a bit back and allowed Jungkook to complete the task. Under her scrutinizing eyes, Jungkook mentally replayed her every move and accordingly to her advice, he managed to tend to the patient as well as fixing whatever that he had trouble with. For instance, the patient who had just gone through surgery for having accidently shoved a stick up his (Jungkook rather not know in what circumstances that had happen) had trouble sitting up straight or even just lying on his stomach hurt him to no end. Jungkook was then forced to not only feed the man but had to help him with his every need as well his injection and whatnot. When he finally managed to have a short break of coffee, Jungkook’s entire body screamed for sleep. However a simple thought of the smartass Kim Taehyung and he was fired up to do any other task.

After his break, he was this time partnered up with Ahn and were asked to clean after a patient as well as checking if the vitals of a patient in coma was ok. In five hours straight, Jungkook had done it all. Into cleaning a middle age man’s to doing simple injection or drawing blood. And yet, he still couldn’t get what it was that Mrs Hong Nan can complain about. Jungkook wasn’t a sore loser, but frankly he was starting to think that this whole thing was a hoax. And from the way Myungjae, Ahn and Jinyoung grimaced, he wasn’t the only one who was feeling cheated on.

 

 

“For how long are you going to make them suffer Taehyungie?” Jimin asked as he peeked at the interns by Taehyung’s window. It was lunch time and of course, Jimin had insisted to get Taehyung out for lunch. Taehyung however had other plans. Gulping down the sandwich, he had bought on his way to work, Taehyung calmly answered, his eyes not shifting from a patient’s report

“Don’t be dramatic. They’re not suffering. I’m only teaching them. No harm with that.” Jimin shook his head disapprovingly for Taehyung’s stubbornness in only eating his damn sandwich for lunch, he let himself fall on the chair facing his best friend and said

“You really should stop hanging around with Dr Kang.”

“Why do you say that?”

“Because you’re becoming just like him. You are bullying those kids. And don’t even try to give me your lame excuses. If you really want to teach them something you should tell them. Although, right now I don’t really get what you are trying to teach them by making them do other people’s work. Even Dr Kang had never been that mean to make us do that.”

“Well, I’m not Dr Kang. And I have my reason so just trust me.”

“Well, you see I do trust you. Those kids out there however don’t. And from the looks of it, I’m not the only who thinks your methods are way too original.” Finally averting his eyes from the report, he asked with a frown

“Why do you said that?” With a simple nod to the direction of the window, Taehyung couldn’t help but sigh tiredly at the distinct silhouette of no other than Dr Yoon Mi. A female colleague of his who just love to snoop her nose to other people’s business. And more often than he would like it Taehyung’s business. Once, Jimin had even joked that the woman might have a crush on Taehyung but of course it was a thought as revolting as the one time Jimin had dyed his hair flaming orange and came to work with it. As predicted, the young lady walked in without even a knock and with her so loving tone, note the sarcasm, she asked

“Why the hell the interns are being under the care of the nurses instead of you?”

“Because I ask them to.” Taehyung answered as if it was the most evident thing in the world. A pretty bad call for Yoon immediately went into a long monologue of doctor etiquette and more things Taehyung partly listen to. Just as much as Jimin did. Which was close to absolutely none of it. Frankly, Taehyung would’ve like the woman more if she would just get off his back. So ok, she was the granddaughter of the hospital’s chairman but for goodness sake, rules are made to be broken once in a while. And even more if it was for a good cause, which in Taehyung’s case was.

“That’s no way to treat interns. I don’t care why you’re doing this but if you are just being lazy then I suggest you start doing your job right. You might be a great doctor but don’t overstep your boundaries. Dr Kang won’t always back you up.” At the mention of the older man, Taehyung’s mood immediately darkens. Because if there was one thing he didn’t like it was being told that he was under Dr Kang’s shadow. It’s true that he will forever be grateful for everything Dr Kang had taught him but that was it. Last time, he checked he wasn’t indebted to Dr Kang.

“Watch your mouth Dr Yoon. You should also learn not to overstep your boundaries.” Dr Yoon flinched at the harsh tone. However, Taehyung couldn’t care less if he was being rude. He wasn’t known for the gently type anyway.

“As for the interns, they are my business. They aren’t complaining aren’t they? So let me handle them. I assure you that I only have their best interest at heart. You might have very little thoughts of my person but know that I won’t ever do anything that can jeopardize those kids future. At least, I won’t be the cause of it. Now if you don’t mind I’ve got work to do.” With that said, Dr Yoon stomps out of the office but not after slamming the door. Jimin, who had been silence during the entire exchange looks for a moment Taehyung and finally he asks

“Are you going to be ok?”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, you know better than I do that Yoon-ssi won’t let you off the hook that easily. In fact, she’ll definitely do everything in her power to get you fired.”

“I know.” Taehyung only replied and Jimin drops the subject knowing that he wouldn’t go very far on the subject even if he wanted to anyway. But that only worried further Jimin. For one because, no matter how mature Taehyung wanted to be seen as, he was still just the guy with the girly looks per the personality that unfortunately didn’t match. And well, it was in Jimin’s nature to simply worry for the latter. Taehyung tended to be very reckless when it came to discipline and especially when it was in the line of work so it came with no surprise that Jimin would feel inclined into keeping an eye on his friend. There were just some time that Taehyung came up with just the craziest idea. And well for Jimin who had grown with him, he could somehow follow Taehyung’s flow but he doubted strangers could. For instance the interns. Goodness, were things going to be ok? Jimin hopes it will.

 

Jungkook was now sitting at a table at the cafeteria, enjoying a bland salad when Myungjae sat in front of him with his own tray as he asked in a low tone

“Hey, did you hear the rumors?” Jungkook was honestly in no mood to talk about some rumors. He had spent five hours of his life doing chores after chores and still he was far from guessing what Dr Kim’s question could be about. Not knowing the answer irritated him to no end. Jungkook tried to remain calm though. But the more he was being physically exhausted, less was he in control of his humor. With an irritated sigh, Jungkook snapped

“Like I care about that.”

“Whoa why are you in a bad mood?” Ignoring Myungjae’s pouting expression, Jungkook continued

“Ya, don’t you learn from your mistake? It’s because of rumors that we’re in this situation. If you like gossiping so much why don’t you change career and consider becoming a reporter?”

“Hey, dude, I get that you’re frustrated but don’t take it out on me.” Myungjae moped, clearly hurt by Jungkook’s words. Jungkook was about to apologize for his rudeness then but refrained as Ahn and Jinyoung arrive altogether. And before Jungkook had the time to say anything, Ahn asked as if sensing the dark ambiance

“What’s wrong with you two? Did we miss something?” Jungkook silently bit his salad, unwilling to continue on the subject. Thankfully, Ahn didn’t press further. Instead, she went on one of her long monologue about her work and other things Jungkook barely followed. When they were done eating, he was about to return to his post when he spotted, rather easily, Dr Kim rushing past him towards where Jungkook guess it to be the entrance. Without a second thought, he and the rest of the team tails after Dr Kim who were followed closely by two other colleague of his. Jungkook couldn’t really be bothered into knowing their name whatsoever. It’s not like he’ll need to talk to them anytime soon. At least not until he insures his spot as Dr Kim’s subordinate. And even though, he wasn’t sure anymore if he still wanted him. Kim Taehyung had officially worn off his patience. Yet, he felt drawn to the man. Obviously, there was nothing romantic about it. Jungkook simply couldn’t ignore the man. It was like Kim Taehyung unconsciously forced him to acknowledge him. That alone was enough to not only frustrate Jungkook but also intrigue him. Like Jungkook guessed, Taehyung was indeed heading to the hospital’s entrance. And from the chaos and the agitation of everyone, something big must’ve happen.

Making way for the paramedic team to carry many injured people through the door, Jungkook asked carefully but loud enough for one of the paramedic to hear

“What happened?”

“Car accident. Two truck collided. There’s two deaths and 18 people injured.” The man had only finished his brief explanation about the situation that Jungkook was immediately overwhelmed by the agitation in the emergency hall. There were so much noises that he didn’t know what else to do but standing there motionless as he watched the injured patient being carried away as well as the scent of blood violently aggressing his sense of odor. Jungkook was still standing lamely in the middle of the way when he heard Taehyung’s voice reaching his ear, firing orders at the nurses and other interns who had already begun to assist him and his other colleagues. Just then, Jungkook imitates his teammate and oddly enough he moves with ease and the brief order Taehyung gives him, are efficiently and nicely done. Well, as nice as someone trying to save a life can be.

“He’s lost a lot of blood. Sir, can you hear me?” Earning only a groan in response, Taehyung turned to the paramedic man who had probably treated him and asked

“Are you the one who gave him the first care?”

“Yes sir.”

“I see, so is he one of the truck’s driver?”

“No, his car ran into one of the truck.”

“I see. Let’s see what we have here then. Oh, he seems to have dislocated his spine. He’s also losing a lot of blood from his head. We need to quickly check if he doesn’t have a brain injury. Uhm Mrs Hong Nan…” Taehyung didn’t need to finish his sentence for the older woman to execute the very first aid treatment to the man before carrying away for surgery which Taehyung would perform. Taehyung then sympathetically clasp the paramedic’s dude shoulder like in a silent attempt to thank the man and he finally walks away towards other patients. A gesture that had gone unnoticed by many but Jungkook. In the mist of all these chaos, Jungkook finally understood what Taehyung had meant by making them work with the nurses.

“Quickly move this patient to the neurology department. He needs to be examine quickly.” Taehyung swiftly tells a nurse that immediately runs off to inform the other department for the newcomer. He was then about to go get dressed for his surgery when he remembers annoyingly something. With a sigh, he turns to a nurse and says in a controlled tone

“Can you get the intern dressed and get them into the surgery room.”

“Yes sir.” With that said, Taehyung finally walks away.

Fully dressed, Taehyung didn’t lose any time and walked in the emergency room after carefully cleaning his hands. His eyes ran swiftly on the four form he guesses to be the interns and closes the distance by walking up to the side of the patient.

“How are things?” Directing the question at no one in particular, Taehyung glanced up to the heart machine just as Mrs Hong Nan fills him in with the details. Nodding in response, he begun the operation but unlike habitually, he explains everything he does as well as making the intern somehow participate by handing him what he needed or doing simple things a nurse could’ve done. Mrs Hong Nan looked particular happy and frankly, so did Taehyung. For a bunch that had been under the nurses for only a week, they were damn good. Especially the so called Jeon Jungkook. So that’s what a genius is all about huh? Taehyung thought, remembering the comment Dr Kang once made after hearing the boy’s name. Focusing his attention back on the patient’s closed head injury, he doubles check the ICP (intracranial pressure) monitoring device placed on his skull, and his gaze hardens when he realized the uncalled verdict. The man was suffering from a skull fracture and had damaged tissue that had to be removed to make room for the living brain tissue. A delicate operation Taehyung was by now accustomed to, yet he still feared. Still, it was that fear that fueled him into avoiding making any mistake at all.

At the end of the surgery, Taehyung had surgically taken care of the patient’s closed head injury, done a laminectomy (Decompression surgery that removes the bony roof covering the spinal cord and nerves to create more space between them to move freely.) And thank God, Taehyung didn’t go through any major problem during the surgical treatment. He knew after all that no matter how cautious one can be, things could quickly go wrong, so when it doesn’t, Taehyung can help but feel incredibly good about it.

“Wrap it up Mrs Hong Nan. You interns, watch carefully.” With that said, he walks out of the surgery room.

“Doctor, the family of the patient is waiting outside.” A nurse came to him running said. With a frown, he asked

“Family? You mean the patient I just operated?”

“Yes sir, here is his ID photo. His name is Bang Shin Hyuk. 43 years old and married for 11 years. He also has a sixteen year old son.”

“I see.” Registering the little information given to him, Taehyung walks up to the family and with a reassuring tone, he said to the sobbing woman and the anxious teenager

“Are you Mr Bang’s family?”

“Yes.” The woman answers with difficulty.

“He’s out of danger. He was quite a fighter in the bloc. You can be proud of him.”

“Can we see him?” The teenager asks this time with a hopeful look.

“I’m sorry but you can’t for now.” The teenager who was probably the son, looked so disappointed that against better thoughts, Taehyung offers kindly

“Tell you what. When he’ll be moved in the observation room, I’ll let you see him for a minute. Both of you can see him. But only a minute and I’ll have to be there. Deal?” The boy’s face immediately lightens up at the word and Taehyung was once again reminded to why he was doing this in the first place. It wasn’t for recognition or gratitude but exactly that. That expression of evident relief to know that they wouldn’t lose a loved one. And frankly, it was a much bigger reward than any money in the world could ever be.

 

Jungkook was finishing up under Mrs Hong Nan supervision. Though, after the number of time he had seen the head of nurse manipulate the machines and whatever else that should be wired to a patient in order to keep him alive, he was very much at ease now. Even Myungjae seem to be in his element as if he had done this a hundred of times which wasn’t the case.

“Perfect. You guys did it really well.” Mrs Hong Nan commented. Ahn was the first to speak among the four interns

“Mrs Hong Nan, I think I finally understand what Dr Kim was trying to make us understand all along.”

“Oh you do?” Mrs Hong Nan asked verifying once again the patient’s vital. They were now in an observation room and so the confine room seem a little bit intimate but it was all Jungkook needed to finally order out his thoughts. And Ahn’s answer only confirms his previous thoughts.

“He wanted us to know the importance of each roles in the hospital, right?” Mrs Hong Nan didn’t answer. She didn’t have to anyway. Her smile says it all.

 

Things were finally calming down. Well, using the word calm is a euphemism considering where they were, but Taehyung couldn’t really find another word to describe the less agitated atmosphere the emergency hall was now in. Patrolling from patients to another, Taehyung was silently giving orders to nurses as well as doing his best to make it less painful for the patients when his attention was drawn to the clock hanging above the reception wall. The time is almost up, he noted wearily. Was his question really that hard?

“Dr Kim, can you please tell me if it’s really a fracture?” A nurse came to him, an x ray in his hands. Taehyung briefly examined the photography and answered calmly

“It’s not that bad. Just wrap it up and send him home.” With that said, he returned his gaze, unconsciously towards the clock, wondering how he was going to handle the situation now. With a sigh, Taehyung then proceeded to the observation room where he knew the patient Bang Shin Hyuk was going to be transfer to. He wasn’t surprise to find the family anxiously waiting outside the room, looking just as terrified but somehow more collected. The son was at least. With a smile Taehyung hoped to be reassuring he said

“Hello again.”

“Oh Doctor.” Mrs Bang exclaimed, getting on her feet. Taehyung noticed that her face seem extremely pale. But that of course, he had been expecting it. Considering her situation, no one can expect the wife to remain normal.

“You’ll have to change into these combinations before going in.”

“Thank you so much. Really. This means a lot to us.” She said and Taehyung only nodded with a smile. The minute, Taehyung slides the door open, he almost bumps into someone but fortunately, he moves back just in time, allowing the person to walk out without problem. In this case, it wasn’t one person but five. Taehyung didn’t need to see under the mask to know who they were. The onyx eyes staring intently into his was informative enough.

“Thank you again Dr Kim.” Mrs Bang once again says when they walked out of the room. A little uncomfortable from the way to emotional woman, Taehyung simply says

“You’re welcome. And don’t worry, your husband’s in good hands.”

“I know. Thank you for saving my husband Dr Kim.” Only responding with a smile, Taehyung lets the woman take him in her arms then after a firm handshake with the son, he later learn his name to be Bang Myungsoo, he finally walks away although happy but still a bit flustered. He’ll never really get used of having people thanking him that much. Don’t get him wrong he was touched but he simply wasn’t used of it. Taehyung was about to head over to Jimin’s unit to get more details on how things were going for the patient he sent over to the neurology team when his name suddenly got called out. Turning his head to where the voice was coming from, his face slowly returned to his usual serious one as he watched his interns walk up to him.

“Seems like your time is up. What? Still hasn’t find the answer yet?” Taehyung challenged. His lips formed a thin line when Jeon literally shoved the transfer form in his hands. Taehyung honestly hadn’t consider things to unfold this way. Damn, Yoon-ssi definitely won’t let him live through this if he allows those kids to transfer… Taehyung was basically having a mental crisis there. He didn’t get to linger long in his own world of despair whatsoever. Indeed, at that very moment none other than Jeon Jungkook pulled him out of his thoughts with an annoying look on his face. Well, not so annoying, it was just a smile but coming from the boy, Taehyung couldn’t help but dislike it naturally. Why? He didn’t know. Jungkook, who was completely oblivious to Taehyung’s mixed feelings, smiled cheekily at him then forcefully pushing papers, Taehyung recognized as the transfer form he gave earlier at the kids, in his hands, Jungkook said

“I’m sorry Professor but it seems like we’ll be stuck with you. Please take care of us.” At his words, Taehyung would’ve frown if he hadn’t had this much practice in schooling his expression especially since he learned that any emotions on your face can betray your composure and it wasn’t adviced when in front of a family you’re supposed to announce a bad news to.

He didn’t ask the younger boy why he was suddenly looking so smug however. The written apology as well as the long awaited answer Taehyung had been hoping for was enough for him to refrain from being rude. Smirking despite his best effort to stay cool, Taehyung finally looks up at his now students and whispers though loud enough for them to catch

“Good job.” Taehyung then left at that last note, unaware of the confusing state of mind he left his students and especially a dark haired hoobae who hadn’t expected at all to see the man smile. Well, it wasn’t exactly a smile but it was close to one. And compared to the indifferent expression, Jungkook has gotten used to see, he found that new facial expression to be far more entertaining. Don’t get him wrong, he wasn’t interested in any way in his professor, if it wasn’t work related of course, but for now he couldn’t help but think that maybe the professor wasn’t so bad after all.