Chapter 22

Feelings

“Thank you for accepting to see me.” Mr Park thanks while Taehyung smiles gratefully at the waitress who had just brought their coffee. After she walks away, Taehyung replies politely

“No, no, I should be the one thanking you for actually wanting to see me again. After what happened, I thought, you’ll never want to see me again.”

“Yeah, honestly I’m so embarrassed for the way I reacted. I really wasn’t in my right state of mind then. I’m so sorry.”

“No, it’s ok. I don’t blame you from what you did. I really did mess up. I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to be forgiven for that.”

“No Dr Kim. It really wasn’t your fault. My ex-wife is the monster in all this. You couldn’t have known.” He reasons but Taehyung couldn’t really be convinced by that. Not when he was feeling this guilty. He tried not to show it to the other man whatsoever and smiled softly

“I guess so. But tell me, how you’ve been since then?”

“Oh, you know I’ve mainly been traveling the world. Staying in Korea reminded me too much of what I’ve lost. Being abroad, meeting other people helped me see the world in a whole new perspective. You know, I’m getting married.”

Taken aback by the news, Taehyung staggers clumsily

“Married?”

“Yeah, shocking isn’t it? I met her on my journey to the Mount Everest. I don’t know. I’m probably being too hasty but I think it’s about time I move on. That’s why I wanted us to meet. To tell you that you could move on too. We both suffered the consequences of neglecting something. I have more faults in this than you do. I was her father yet I didn’t see when she was obviously being mistreated. I might have not killed her myself but it’s almost as if I did.”

Taehyung doesn’t answer. More like, he doesn’t know what to say to that. Thus, he carefully nods, detaching each words with utmost care, he tries to understand the analogy of the man’s reasoning but so far, he can’t do so. Maybe one day, he’ll be able to surpass his guilt. Just not now. He really wasn’t trying to feel pathetic but his nights were still rhythm by what he could’ve done for the little girl. A lot of times where he could’ve done things better. Come to think of it, his lack of sense only brought him problem in so many aspect in his life. He screwed up with Park Yoona because of it. And now with… Never mind. He just had to change that particular trait of his. They talked about a lot after that. Mainly, their aspirations for the future. It was really nice to say the least. Just before they part ways, Kyungsoo ssi flusters him yet again when he asks

“If I invite you to my wedding? Will you come?”

After a storms, comes the sun, Taehyung recalls the words his grandmother used to chant him. He really couldn’t allow himself to be gloomy for far too long. Smiling gently at the other man, Taehyung answers heartwarmingly

“If you did, I’d definitely come.”

 

The situation with Jungkook doesn’t change much after that. He was transferred to the cardiologic department and if it wasn’t necessary for them to meet, Taehyung avoided any contact with the younger man. The hospital has never felt smaller than it did then. Taehyung silently endured it whatsoever. He just finished an operation and walking towards the café lounge to get himself something to wake him up, he tiredly massages his nape. Sighing deeply, he was staring at the ceiling, patiently waiting for his café when he hears a familiar voice behind him. A pair of familiar voice.

 

So much for a bit of rest, He thought bitterly, quickly grabbing the cup from the café machine and about to walk out.

“So it’s going well at the cardiologic department huh?”

“Yeah. I guess you can say that. I’m still learning the ropes though.”

“I’m sure you’ll do great. You’re Jeon Jungkook after all.”

“Oh shut up Myungjae.” He hears the baritone voice snap back. Taehyung doesn’t linger long whatsoever to know what they exchange after that. Walking past them after a brief acknowledgement from the head, he finally disappears from the lounge and into his office. He really didn’t want to impose his presence to the younger man more than needed. Who would have ever thought that the place he once considered like home would become the very place he wants to escape from? The kid couldn’t move his stuff faster? He wonders exasperatedly, closing the window shield before sitting back on his leather seat. It was probably about time he actually considers Dr Kang’s proposition made a year ago. He really needed to get his thoughts straight anyway. Being away would surely help with that.

“Hey, Dr Kim, can you check this patient out for me please?” Mrs Hong Nan suddenly asks, pushing his door, a manila folder in her hand.

“What’s that you’re holding?” Taehyung questions with a frown, slowly getting up from his seat.

“Oh, the patient came in with it. Said it’s the records from her previous checkup in another hospital.”

“Oh, what does she have?” He asks while taking the folder from Mrs Hong Nan. While the older woman was filling him in with the case, they walk past Myungjae who was still helping Jungkook get his things in a box and walk out to the hall. Taehyung kept his eyes solely focused on the documents before his eyes, only looking up as to avoid walking into some door or such. He could feel a pair of eyes on him but he effortlessly ignores it and walk away. This was nothing he wasn’t used to. He was after all very good at pretending. He’s got years of practice to back him up.

 

“Hey!” Jungkook suddenly hears Myungjae’s voice rise loudly beside him. He hadn’t realized the man was talking to him until he felt a stab on his shoulder. Grimacing at the pain, he asks annoyingly

“What?”

“What’s wrong with you? I’m being kind and helping you out with your boxes yet you have the audacity to ignore me? Dude, you’re really rude.”

“Sorry.” Jungkook mutters, his head now hanging low. He knew he was being rude in every sense of the word. Even now, when he knew he shouldn’t prolong his stay in the ER lounge but try to get that across his heart was like trying to educate a teenager, the importance of math. Pointless. Ever since their talk or mostly his dramatic breakdown, he hadn’t had the guts to meet the older man and apologize. And from the way, the other man avoided him like the plague, there wasn’t going to be a time for any talk at most. Jungkook could blame only himself though. He was the one who had screwed up. Just like everything regarding the older man.

“It’s ok. Just why were you spacing out about anyway?” Myungjae’s voice wonders, meanwhile Jungkook was sorting out the books he’ll take with him and those he’ll have to return to Taehyung hyu… No, Taehyung ssi’s desk. After what happened between them, Jungkook didn’t feel worthy enough to address the older man in such an intimate way anymore nor should he ever address him like that at all. He lost that privilege. This really was the first time, he miserably failed at something. It really .

“Just have a lot in my mind. That’s all.” He offers. It was the truth anyway. He really had a lot on his mind right now.

“Anyway, are you going to go to the party organized for Dr Kang’s promotion?”

“How is going to humanitarian rescue a promotion?”

“Don’t be a . Being a humanitarian doctor is THE highest rank of our discipline. You should know that better than anyone.”

“Yeah.” He mumbles absently finally walking away alongside Myungjae. He didn’t go far before he runs into Taehyung ssi again. The only difference this time is that he doesn’t see him approach. More absorbed in exchanging some words with Yoongi hyung and Jimin hyung. Whatever Yoongi hyung had said must’ve been happy for Taehyung suddenly lets out a throaty laugh as he replies something equally funny making the other two men burst out laughing. Well more like Jimin hyung did. Yoongi hyung only grinned in response.

 

Painfully looking away from the scene, Jungkook quickly engages into the elevator, hopefully wearing a blank expression. Alas, from the curious look Myungjae gives him when the elevator doors close, that mostly must’ve been an epic fail. Thankfully, he doesn’t ask him anything. Jungkook wouldn’t have been able to answer him anyway. It’s not like he could tell him I’m just in love with our mentor and not the “I want to screw him over” but the “I want to make him my one and only life partner kind of love.” Oh but this isn’t the worst part. No, Taehyung ssi actually confesses to me unexpectedly and like the I am, I blamed him for my insecurities and fear. Yep, that definitely would be a great plot for a book.

 

“Hey, are you sure you can go?” Jimin ask Taehyung for the zillion time sitting on the edge of Taehyung’s bed while the younger man fixed his now dark brown hair. Taehyung had just wanted to get back a sense of his old self. Or was it more like a way to kind of start anew. His blond hair was wearing off anyway.

“Jiminie, do I really need to answer that?”

“But I mean you haven’t been feeling lately. And you dyed your hair back too. You only do that when you’re trying to change something.”

“I just wanted to have my natural hair color back.”

“Yeah well that wouldn’t bother me so much if you didn’t do it after meeting up with Mr Park or Jungkook. About it. What happened when you met them?” Taehyung hadn’t told him anything. Not because he didn’t trust Jiminie. He just didn’t feel like talking about it. He was really done talking. Jimin seemed to have noticed the tired emotion cross his feature, for he quickly says instead

“Anyway, if you’re over putting makeup on yourself, let’s get going then.”

“Screw you.” Taehyung’s playfully throws, much to Jimin’s amusement. When finally they leave, Jimin suddenly ask out of nowhere

“By the way. I heard you were considering taking on the proposition Dr Kang did to you a year ago?”

“Who told you that?” Taehyung frowns.

“It’s no important. Just answer the question? Does this have anything to do with your conversation with Mr Park or Jungkook?” Taehyung winces a bit at the mention of the younger man’s name but carefully crafting back up a collected mask, he retorts calmly although Jimin didn’t look convince at all

“Not really. I just felt like it was about time I change my surrounding a bit.”

“Taehyung ah, if all you want is change your surroundings than move from your apartment and redecorate in pastel if your heart so desires. Do you really need to go all the way to America just for that? You can’t even speak English.” Taehyung smiles cheekily at his best friend’s arguments and with a raise of his eyebrow, Taehyung presses warmly

“Oh will you miss me if I were to go?”

“You wish. Poor boy, I’m more worried to hear what your grandfather will say about that instead.”

“He’ll certainly cheer me on.”

“Well, I sure as heck know your mother wouldn’t.” Jimin retorts.

“That’s not really true. She had been bugging me about taking on the offer ever since she heard about it actually.” Taehyung answers tactfully, his smile growing as Jimin’s eyes narrows dangerously. The man was really just trying too hard to be manly. Being a bit sensitive wasn’t all that bad. Neither was it too feminine. He just proves that you’re a bit more human. Their conversation quickly comes to an end as Taehyung parks the car and they walk out the car. They don’t take that long before they reach the lounge specially rented for the occasion. As expected, most of those going in and out of the VIP lounge paid , Taehyung sure as hell doesn’t want to get too cozy with. He of course respects their reasons in taking up such a job but he wasn’t the type to pay to have a girl entertain him. He wasn’t a noble guy for all that matter. He simply wasn’t interested. Now more than ever after discovering his inability of even getting interested in any girl in particular. Jimin quickly bails on him however the minute he spots Yoongi at the end of one of the chair, looking as if he wanted more than anything but to murder the thing evading his personal space. Taehyung would’ve laughed at how cute Jimin was in acting so possessive over the older man but he doesn’t. Not because if wasn’t cute but because he’s eyes had to make contact on the very person he was trying so hard to avoid. He should’ve known he’ll be here. Oh well, there were a lot of people. Surely they’ll be able to go through the night without having to talk to each other.

 

Jungkook averts his eyes first however. Turning his gaze to a way too wasted Myungjae and some other dude Taehyung wasn’t familiar with, he watches quietly Jungkook props his forearms on either of his thigh, looking incredibly exhausted.

 

The sight bitterly reminds Taehyung of the very reason he was such a pathetic hyung. Thus, he sighs deeply and silently promising to not linger too long, he walks up to Dr Kang to congratulate him. Dr Kang looked please to see him. That alone was enough to bring a smile on the man’s face as he said brightly

“Congratulation old man. Finally you’re going to travel the world.”

“Don’t be rude boy. I still get to decide what could happen to your future.”

“Yeah, yeah, if that can make you sleep better at night then please believe so.” Taehyung teases, taking a bottle of soju and serving the older man out of courtesy. Taehyung doesn’t flinch even when Dr Kang pulls him to seat beside him and even when he can feel the heat of the very man he was avoiding seep through his vest and burned his skin, he remained calm and collected. In appearance obviously.

“You really are lucky I like you a lot.”

“Oh finally you admit it. I was wondering until when you’ll be playing hard to get.” Taehyung snorts. The older man instantly flicks him hard on the forehead. Taehyung only laughs at that though. It really has been a while since the older man openly showed his frustration like that. Taehyung will definitely miss it. Was he masochist to think that?

“You won’t be my teacher anymore huh?” Taehyung nostalgically states. The older man smiles sadly in response and tells him quietly

“I’ve stopped being your teacher a long time ago Tae ah and it’s not like you ever saw me like your professor anyway.”

Taehyung chuckles

“Yeah you’re right. But I loved learning whatever you could learn me.”

Letting out quiet laugher at the annoyed look Dr Kang had, Taehyung was now reminiscing past tales with Dr Kang when he notices the arrival of Namjoon hyung, Seokjin hyung, Hoseok hyung and Ga Yeon Noona from afar. He wasn’t surprised to see them that much. They were very well acquainted with Dr Kang after all. As his buddies came to congratulate his mentor, Taehyung quietly moves out from the table, a bit relieved to no longer have his back against… Well, never mind. He was just happy to be able to stretch his legs more freely again. Barely listening to the girl who was now trying to flirt with him, Taehyung ran a hand through his hair and was about to detach her from his arm but before he did any of that, his eyes fell once again on Jungkook’s silhouette and he remains motionless. The man was quietly talking with Seokjin hyung and Taheyung knew for a fact that he was also trying to not let anything ruin this night, thus he swallows back his bitterness and lets whoever the girl was distract him. Minutes quickly turned to hours and even though he tried to drink and distract himself with his friends and Dr Kang, nothing seemed to help getting him wasted at all. And that was what made it so hard for him. After a while, he finally decides to just go home. He was going to when Dr Kang takes him apart. The man was a little buzz but so far, he was holding on well.

“Are you going already?” Dr Kang slurrs as they walk out to smoking zone of the lounge.

“Yeah. I’m a bit tired and tomorrow unlike some people I have work to do.”

“Oh really. Well then I guess you don’t want to talk about the position of surgeon in LA then?”

 

Jungkook had a migraine. Seokjin had tried to ease him by giving him a scalp massage but all it did was make him sleepy. He couldn’t leave yet unfortunately. For one becaue, it be rude for him to do so. But secondly because he had a little too much drink. He’ll have to call a designated driver. A quiet place for him to rest in should help him a bit. Carefully walking away from the loud Myungjae, he heads toward the smoking zone knowing that he’ll definitely be able to rest there for a bit. Smoke didn’t bother him anyway. The loud music, on the other hand, did. With his hand on the doorknob, he slightly pushes the door open when he stops upon hearing voices conversing inside. He was about to turn away and just find another spot, when a certain voice perks his interest. He really didn’t mean to eavesdrop but what the voice, he recognized as Dr Kang said, sobers him much quicker than cold water would.

“So you’re really considering taking the job in LA?” Dr Kang questions.

“If the offer still stands yeah.” Taehyung ssi retorts in a tone Jungkook hates to admit but is now used to hearing. A tone dripping of sadness.

“But I thought you didn’t want to be away from your family. Are you going to be ok then? I mean you can decide to go anytime but is now right for you?”

“The only way to find out is to go. So do they still want me?” Taehyung asks and Jungkook had to force his ears to actually hear what Dr Kang says in return. A simple sentence that unconsciously makes Jungkook shed a few tears. Unvoluntarily of course.

“Yeah. They haven’t stop following you even after your refusal. I’m sure that they’ll love to welcome you into their ranks. Taehyung ah, whatever it is that made you change your mind, please think it over again. I mean, I don’t want you to regret it later on.”

“Why would I ever regret going to America? It’s the chance of a lifetime, right?”

Jungkook doesn’t listen any further. Walking away from the door and furiously wiping away the ridiculous tear rolling down his cheek, he grabs his coat along the way and despite Seokjin’s weary tone, he walks out the door without so much as a word or a glance back. He doesn’t realize that Seokjin tries to hold him back. Neither does he see when Taehyung ssi comes back in the room a dark expression on his face. He doesn’t realize anything at all. Only that he needed to get out. Guilt was something Jungkook wasn’t accustom of. And for many reason. One because he wasn’t in the least that thoughtful about anything. And secondly, because no one really ever made him question his doing. Until now at least. Jungkook wasn’t stupid. Kim Taehyung wasn’t leaving because he wanted to. But because he thought Jungkook would want that but Jungkook never wanted any of this. Sure he said a lot of mean things but that was all because of his fear. Never would he have thought that it be enough to make Taehyung ssi take up an offer he had obviously decline. Considering that he was the familial type, he’ll never voluntarily take up a job that will separate him from his family or friends. At least, not a job that was across the globe. God, what was he going to do now? Can he fix this? How will he fix this?

“Jungkook, hey wait up.” He finally hears Seokjin scream in the background. He doesn’t turn around however. Not in the state he was in.

“Hey, you punk. Stop!” Seokjin finally catch up with him and forces him to stop and look at him. Jungkook keeps his head hang low though.

“What’s wrong with you? Where do you think you’re going like that?” Silence.

“Guk ah? You’re trembling. Are you cold?” Jungkook mentally scolds himself to not break down. To not cry alas, the minute Seokjin hyung pulls him into a hug, he unconsciously lets out soft sobs. He really must’ve seem pathetic.

“Hey, it’s ok. It’s going to be ok.”

“No, it’s not.” He replies finally pulling away from the warm embrace.

“I’ve hurt him hyung. I’ve hurt him bad and I don’t know what to do to make it better. I just thought… I was too damn scared to take the risk and because of that, he’s leaving. He’s leaving behind the one thing he can’t stay from. All because of me, he’s leaving them behind.”

Related image

“Shh, Guk ah, calm down first and tell me slowly what’s going on? Who’s leaving?”

“Taehyung hyung. Seokjin hyung, what do I do? What do I do now? I ed up didn’t i? But I didn’t mean to. I really didn’t mean for things to go this far.” Jungkook struggles to say and from the way Seokjin looks at him, he too has issue finding the right words to say. Instead, he pulls him back into a comforting hug unaware of the pair of eyes looking from afar. If they turned just slightly. Maybe they’ll see the panting man who, despite knowing better than to run after the younger man, was himself trying hard to keep himself together.

 

Alas, none of the broken hearted that night finds the strenght to do so. Not the chef who watches longingly the man he’s fallen for slowly turn his back on him.

Or the proud gay heir who tries to comfort his dongsaeng although his heart was just as damaged as the younger man was. Nor the two friends who, despite the proximity of their body as they sit on the couch, were still so far apart emotionally.

That night feels longer than most. And Taehyung finally admits out loud that happy ending was nothing more but a fairytale. Image result for taehyung stigma