Chapter 1

Feelings

The end is something people usually look forward to for one simple reason. It is the conclusion of everything. The very instant where things can either be the most beautiful thing in the world or something equally bitter. In movies, happy endings are what the audience usually look forward to. If not it was considered a bad ending. Why? Simply because life itself is a succession of bad events. So when we see someone else go through the same we are, it is in human nature to hope for a better outcome than what our subconscious already knows of. It is what we, simple minded human, wish for. A happy ending. And it’s actually not something that new. In fact, who doesn’t want a happy ending? Kim Taehyung does. But there was just one teeny little detail that kept him from fully believing that he could have a happy ending. More like a problematic detail. Kim Taehyung was your very typical Korean pretty boy. At the very young age of twelve years old, he had discovered the beauty of woman thanks to his longtime friend and neighbor Choi Soyeon. A beautiful girl two years older than him. He didn’t know if it was due to curiosity or simply the fear of being the subject of mockery for his friends, but when the young girl had showed him more than a friendly attention, he didn’t push her away. And that was how at the peak of his teen life, he had slept with a girl. And God knows how remorseful he feels now. Honestly, he had thought he had been ready at the time, thanks to the encouragement of his friends, well sort of friends. But, at nineteen years old and looking back on it, he felt nothing more but disgust. Ever since, he had never been able to be with a girl without feeling the need to keep a safe distance between them. His friends had wanted him to get himself a girlfriend, not for friendship purpose but more for their own greed because, apparently, the fact that he was single made it harder for them to get a girl. As if Taehyung had that much time in his hands to please them. If he will one day want to settle down and get a girl, he’ll do it on his own accords. Never again will he be forced into doing it. Something his mother thought was totally noble. But then when he was close to his twenty, the pressure of him being single slowly became unbearable at home. If it wasn’t his mother pressuring him to get a “nice girl” It would be his granddad that would “accidently slip a very sensual magazine under his door.” Taehyung was indeed happy that his grandfather was so open and cool about talking about his ual life but there were times when it felt like it was the only thing that bothered them. He wasn’t planning on lying to them though to get them off his back. Instead, he used school as his shield. And in all reality it was something totally true. After all, being a med student did take all his time. Whether it was during holiday or family gathering, he kept his phone constantly on him in case there was an emergency. And that was pretty much how at the age of 26, he was still single and dedicated to work. Taehyung liked it that way though. Actually, he’ll rather be alone than have bad company. And right now that’s what girl represents to him.

“Taehyung ah, the new interns will arrive today. Are you ready to receive them?” His mentor and professor, Dr Kang Shi hoo asks with his arms crossed and his eyes glued on the x ray of a patient diagnosed with acute bronchitis. Taehyung, who was called to give his thoughts on the case, stared for a long while at the x ray then finally answers tiredly, from lack of sleep

“Yeah I am. They shouldn’t be much of a pro…” He interrupted himself though when he spots something unusual on one of the lungs of the patient. An infection? Taehyung thought with a frown. Oblivious to his professor’s teasing smile, possibly already aware of what was getting Taehyng’s brain working without a break, the fifty years old man watches as Taehyung makes his way closer to the x rays, a focused look on his face. Oddly, no matter the number of time Dr Kang had seen that look, he could never really get used of it. Taehyung was more famous for his laid back and cheery smile instead. If Taehyung was to be described as a med student it would be hardworking. He compensated his shortcomings with real commitment. When he first arrived here, he was a clumsy and loud fellow yet diligent. Taehyung had quickly won his colleagues and himself (Dr Kang) over with his stupid antics but mostly his passion for his work. Taehyung was unstoppable when he wore his white blouse. It actually took Dr Kang some firm scolding to sometime get him off of some shift which honestly worried him as much as it impressed him. Kang was a man of few words and he liked to make his thoughts known by either glaring or scolding. However, for some reason, Kim Taehyung had been the very exception in all his career where he had gone far more than just scolding or glaring. Never had he been so smitten by one of his intern before. Obviously, it wasn’t in the romantic way. But unknowingly, he had started to treat Taehyung as the son he never had. And so he was harsher with him. But at the same time more doting to him.

“Oh, Professor, did you say this patient had acute bronchitis?” Taehyng’s curious voice pulled him out of his thoughts.

“Indeed, he has all the symptoms.” He answered coolly before falling back onto his seat. Taehyung who was wearing a deep frown, read for a short moment the report made by another of his colleague

“It’s correct what Dr Kai is implying with the little information he has but the x rays aren’t lying. The patient isn’t suffering from acute bronchitis. He has pneumonia. Here, He has an infection on the left lung which combine to symptoms given, suggests he has indeed pneumonia.”

“Suggests?” Dr Kang repeated warningly. Catching the underlying meaning behind the question, Taehyung says more certainly

“Proves he has pneumonia.” With a throaty laugh, Dr Kang thanked Taehyung then as Taehyung was about to excused himself, Dr Kang caught him off guard by asking in a concern tone he only reserved for Taehyung

“Did you sleep today yet?” Taehyung looked thoughtful for a while and finally says

“Ah, I think so… I mean yes. I did.”

Sighing exasperatedly at his workaholic subordinate, Dr Kang said seriously

“Ya, you punk, how many times do I have to tell you for it to sink in? We are doctor not robots. We also need rest to properly save lives. So right after you meet the interns, I want you to go back home. If I catch you around the hospital, I’ll personally drag your sorry to your house. Am I clear?”

Taehyung who is by now used to these threats from his teacher only smiled in return and cutely answered

“Crystal clear.”

With that, he walked out of Dr Kang’s office to begin his round. It was around 8:30 when Park Jimin, his friend and colleague came to find him. By the time Jimin found him, Taehyung was standing not far from the reception and was exchanging information with one of the nurse. Jimin, being his usual playful-self briefly flirted with the nurse but after seeing that Taehyung was visibly unpleased for being interrupted so suddenly, Jimin tried to soothe him by draping his arm around Taehyung. Something, Taehyung could never understand how Jimin thought it could actually ease his sore mood. How will physical contact be able to do that?

“The interns are here.” Jimin said curtly, his eyes gleaming with enthusiasm. Taehyung pulled away from the unwanted proximity he had with his best friend and with a sigh, he said

“And so why are you here? Aren’t you supposed to be saving lives? Why are you the one telling me that?”

“Oh, I’m on my break so I came to see how you’ll do with them. Actually I thought I could somehow help you…”

“Dr Kim, look out!” Taehyung suddenly heard a voice behind him and before he could actually move, he felt something wet crashing into him. It took him seconds to finally realize that he had pee all over his blouse.

“Just great.” He mumbled tiredly, rubbing his temple trying hard to not hurt his so call friend that was laughing his off beside him.

“Oh my God, I’m so sorry. Oh what do I do? I’m so, so, sorry Dr Kim.” A nurse, Taehyung couldn’t remember the name, hastily said while trying to wipe and failing miserably the grueling liquid that was dripping from his blouse. Thankfully his shirt underneath weren’t stained. So simply brushing off the nurse’s care away with a charming smile, Taehyung said

“Never mind me. I’m ok. Just get someone to wipe the floor. It wouldn’t be good if someone falls because of it. Jimin ah, let’s go.”

“But… Let me wash your blouse at least.” The nurse insisted however Taehyung kindly declined and walked away.

Jimin, who had yet to regain his composure, kept a safe distance from Taehyung and said

“Are you sure you want to meet your new interns like that? I can do…” But before he could finish the sentence, Taehyung could easily guess what it was, he pulled off his blouse and throwing it without much regard to the talking man, he said

“If you want to be useful, why don’t you bring this to my car? Since you have so much time in your hand.” Jimin who had now a disgusted look, glared darkly at Taehyung and angrily wiping the spot of his face that came in contact with the blouse, he yelled

“Ya, how could you throw this to me like that?” “Ya, how could you laugh at me like that?” Taehyung replied grudgingly. Jimin huffed in a consternate manner then, before walking away, he threatens darkly

“You’ll regret this Kim Taehyung.”

“Sure I will.” Taehyung retorted with a smirk before walking past him and to where the interns were supposed to meet him. Taehyung stopped along the way at the restroom to wash his hands and get rid of the stench before heading there however. The minute he got there, he noticed with utmost shock that the number of intern had significantly dropped. Weren’t they supposed to six? Why is there only four of them? Two boys and two girls, he counted. Taehyung was walking up to them when one of the boys, the very good looking one asked him suddenly

“Oh hey, are you also a newbie? Why aren’t you wearing your blouse, you’ll be in trouble if you appear like that in front of the professor.”

“Yes, apparently, the guy we have is the little favorite of Dr Kang. A real dog in the emergency department. So if we want to even have a chance to survive we have to appeal to him.” Said this time a girl with too much makeup.

 

Taehyung, was at first confused as to who those kids were talking to. But seeing that the rest of the group were looking at him, he realized frustratingly that he was being mistaken for a newbie. Damn, his look! But what irritated him more wasn’t the fact he was mistaken as a young guy since he was used of it but the way they actually imagined him left a bitter taste in his mouth. Was that what people thought of him? So to them, he was no senior but just someone they needed to please to be liked by his seniors? The !

With a forced smile, he turned to the dark haired handsome boy and asked

“Is that how you all expect to survive here? By kissing up to someone’s ?” The other guy, Taehyung barely spared a glance to, spat angrily

“Ya, who do think you are to act so cocky. We were just trying to help you. What’s with the attitude?” As for the other male of the group, his eyebrows furrowed instantly and just when he was going to ask what Taehyung meant by that, Taehyung coldly walked past him and grabbing a clipboard from a nurse who looked just as angry as Taehyung was, he read calmly

“Jeon Jungkook?”

“De?” Came the flustered respond from the handsome boy who had talked to him first. Briefly looking at him, Taehyung turned his gaze back to the clipboard and read

“Gong Myungjae?”

“Yes?” This time answered the other boy with lighter hair. And lastly finishing with the two ladies where one was called Ahn Nan, the one with too much makeup and Song Jinyoung, she looked quite nerdy and quiet. Though it was just an impression.

“It seems like two of your colleagues have been expelled. So it’s going to be only the four of you. For now at least.”

Putting away the clipboard, Taehyung finally said

“Welcome to Seoul Hospital. I’m going to be your professor and mentor. My name is Kim Taehyung.”