Longing

Ocean

“Jiwoo-yah!” Matthew exclaimed from his place on the floor.


“Hmm?” She growled with an arm on her forehead.


“Wanna grab some food?” He asked waiting for her to regain her energies, as every time she was mentioned 'food'.


“Sure!” She said happily while standing.“Let's go, big guy!”


He just laughed at her reaction, she could be a baby sometimes.


They arrived to their favourite restaurant to eat after practicing and ordered the usual. 


“How's Somin?” Matthew asked after the waiter left.


“She's fine,” she said before giving a sip to her water. “I went to see her in the morning and she was still a little bit sick but perfectly able to work,” she shrugged. “She was feeling homesick, I didn't ask but I know her, she wouldn't tell so I just made her breakfast before coming.”


“We all do,” Matthew commented.


“Do what?”


“Feel homesickness. That's why Tae basically flied to see his mom,” he paused for a moment to receive the coke the waiter had brought. “Just because my family is an ocean away, but I would have done the same.”


“Yeah,” Jiwoo just said.


“Don't you miss your family?” He wondered after seeing her peaceful reaction. This wasn't the first time she reacted as if she didn't care. 


“I do,” she nodded lifting her gaze to see him. “But my brother is in Los Angeles, I can't see him and my mother can come whenever she wants. Besides, we're always in touch,” she smiled while lifting her phone indicating she talked with them.


But Matthew didn't exactly believed her, she had switched to that characteristic y expression on her face indicating she was hiding something.


He was very attentive, he picked up things extremely quickly and even without paying attention was able to see different details, he was very observant though sometimes distracted. 


And so, over time, he was able to see different patterns in Jiwoo's behavior, she was usually very serious and that's why people were not able to differentiate her recurring expression from the one she just put. But he could.


He never really understood why he could, maybe because since the very first time he saw her something captured his attention, and, perhaps unconsciously, he always noticed what Jiwoo did or stopped doing.


To him, Jiwoo was a mystery; she was so calm and quiet, that it was difficult to understand her or try to figure out what she was thinking. She was like Taehyung, but still more retracted. 


It didn't mean she wasn't sociable or nice, she was just... different. You could see her interacting and laughing like everyone else and you would not notice that her personality was calm and reserved. But that was just the part she let the world see. In reality, she was different. And even tough Matthew hadn't proved it, he knew it.


She showed a nice part of her personal and emotional life so she didn't rise suspicions, but she never mentioned problems or the other side of the coin like everyone else. It isn't like everyone else just talks about their own problems all the time but whenever Somin, Taehyung or himself were feeling a little down, they would admit it if someone asked. He had never seen or heard Jiwoo say something like that; he had never seen her cry or complain about feeling sick or in pain; he had never seen her talk about her family, he had seen her talking to them and was able to see what a good relationship she hold with everyone. But he never thought that like every human being, she had a past and problems too. He never thought that all her personal relationships might not be as perfect as she painted them. Until one day he was unable to sleep and found himself thinking about his group mate. 


He realised her life was beyond. He wasn't seeing her completely and it wasn't like she was faking her life and wearing a mask but just showing a very small part of it.


And he found himself wanting to be the first one to see her completely, after all she was like that because of something. Maybe she had trust issues, or her life was more screwed than he could imagine. 


“What if the next time I go to Los Angeles you come with me?” He suddenly asked putting the chopsticks down.


“Hum?” She motioned while eating.


“So you can see your brother,” he explained.


“Oh no,” she shook her head calmly after cleaning . “It's fine.”


He frowned. Everyone would be excited to reunite with a sibling. But Jiwoo wasn't.


“You sure?”


“Yeah,” she said not giving it importance while grabbing some naengmyeon and offering it to him. “Want some?”


“Sure,” he smiled deciding to just enjoy his day with her.


“We should hurry,” she said looking at her phone. “We have about twenty minutes left.”