Mom

Ocean

“Where do you wanna go?” Matthew asked putting his sunglasses on.

 

“I don't know...” Jiwoo said hanging her bag on her shoulder. “You choose.”

 

“Okay, it'll be a surprise then.”

 

He opened the drivers door and got in while Jiwoo ran towards the car.

 

“Why don't you tell me?” She asked after getting inside the passengers seat.

 

“You told me to choose, it's a surprise.”

 

Jiwoo growled and the stereo to listen to some random music. They had barely drove outside of DSP media when her phone rang.

 

“Hello?” She answered.

 

“Hello sweetie,” her mother's voice said on the other side.

 

“Mom?” She asked though she knew it was her. “What is it?”

 

“'How are you? Yes, fine, thank you for asking, Jiu,” Jiwoo rolled her ayes before her mother's dramatic answer.

 

“Sorry, how are you?”

 

“I'm fine and I called to tell you that I'm in the airport.”

 

“What!” Jiwoo exclaimed. “Why didn't you tell me any sooner?”

 

“I wanted to surprise you... surprise!”

 

“Mom,” she reprimanded. “You joking.”

 

“I'm not,” her mom sang. “Can you come and pick me up? Or do I have to take a taxi?”

 

“I will,” she simply said.

 

“Thank you, I'll wait.”

 

Jiwoo put the phone down and turned to look painfully at Matthew.

 

“What is it, Jiwoo-yah?” He asked looking away from the road for a brief second.

 

“Can you do something for me?” She asked in her sweetest voice.

 

“Sure...” he replied frowning.

 

“Can you take me to the airport?” She asked. “My mom just arrived and I had no idea, but I can't leave her there.”

 

“Of course,” he said. “No problem.”

 

“Thank you,” she said relieved.

 

The truth was that he was starving, but Jiwoo had just asked him to pick up her mom. That was definitely new. Jiwoo never mentioned her family and if she did were small and dry comments, but wasn't as open as the rest of the members. If he wanted to get to know her, he couldn't let this opportunity pass.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

“Mom,” she smiled as a lady approached her with open arms. 

 

“Jiu,” the woman said taking her into an embrace.

 

“How was the flight?”

 

“Boring, but I wanted to visit you,” her mother smiled and then posed her eyes on Matthew. “Oh, who's this? Your boyfriend?”

 

“He is-” Jiwoo was going to explain but her mom cut her off.

 

“Why didn't you tell me you had a boyfriend?” She exclaimed making Matthew laugh.

 

“He's not my boyfriend,” Jiwoo said. “It's one of the members, I thought you'd recognise him.”

 

“Oh, so sorry,” she apologised and then added in a whisper for Jiwoo not to hear, but she catched anyway: “you can be her boyfriend, I have no problem with that.”

 

“Mom!” Jiwoo yelled and he bursted out laughing.

 

“I didn't say anything,” her mom put an innocent face. ”Nice to meet you, by the way.”

 

“A pleasure to meet you.”

 

“You should have told me you were coming,” Jiwoo said taking the luggage to walk out of the airport. “I have nothing prepared...”

 

“It's okay, darling, it was a surprise.”

 

“You see?” Matthew asked. “Surprises are good.”

 

“You just didn't want to tell me where you were taking me...” Jiwoo said.

 

“You were heading somewhere?” Jiwoo's mom asked.

 

“We were on our way out of practice,” Jiwoo said. “We wanted to eat something.”

 

“I'm sorry I interrupted-”

 

“It's okay, what if we go now?” Matthew suggested. “Your mom can come too.”

 

“Uhm...” she didn't consider a good idea, she had never let anyone have contact with her family, but with Matthew she felt comfortable. “Yeah.”