Ch.3

Where the Lonely Ones Roam
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Heechul was in full blown mother mode.

The house had been thoroughly cleaned, fresh sheets were put on the beds, and the kitchen was stocked with groceries. Even though it was early in the morning, he’d put music on the stereo system in the living room, and Send Me On My Way was playing loud enough to be heard throughout the house. It would be only moments before each of the boys would wake up and come find him in the kitchen where he was making a large breakfast.

Pancakes were being made on the griddle, surrounded by strips of bacon and sausage links. He scrambled a dozen eggs on the stove and made another dozen of sunny side up. The smell was heavenly and soon enough the first of four sauntered into the kitchen with their nose in the air.

“Mmm, that smells so good!” Mir said with a happy grin as he hugged his mother good morning. “Do you want any help, umma?”

Heechul gave him a swift kiss on the cheek and nudged him in the direction of the pancakes. “Flip those and pour more batter once they’re done, please.”

“Saturday mornings are my favorite,” Key announced as he made his presence known. He had never had mornings like this before and it was like a dream come true to experience it.

“You’re my favorite, don’t tell the others,” Heechul joked, sending him a smile. The two boys laughed and continued helping in any way they could.

Out of nowhere, a melodious voice joined in the singing of the stereo and the trio shared a knowing look as Donghae danced into the kitchen. Nothing could stop or interrupt his singing so Heechul pointed to a cabinet and then the table, wordlessly instructing him to set the table. He didn’t need to tell him to add three extra places at the table, it was Saturday after all.

The song came to an end and as the next one began, the front door was flung open with a bang. Heechul hurried out of the kitchen and in a swift movement, grabbed his first born son and pulled him into the tightest hug.

“My baby! Oh, I’ve missed you so much,” He gushed, swinging Henry back and forth. He spotted Eunhyuk coming up the front steps and pushed Henry aside for the blonde. “Oh, my other baby! I’ve missed you so much!”

“Gross! Don’t kiss me,” Eunhyuk complained, struggling to get out of Heechul’s iron grip. He got loose and fell to the floor, quickly crawling away for safety.

When Leeteuk entered the house, Heechul got this soft look in his eyes. Wrapping their arms around each other, the loving couple stood there in embrace for several long moments before finally breaking away for a sweet kiss.

“I made your favorites for breakfast,” Heechul told him, holding Leeteuk’s hand as they headed into the kitchen.

“You didn’t have to,” Leeteuk told him, although he was moved by the gesture.

“I wanted to,” Heechul said warmly, placing his hands on Leeteuk’s chest. He rested their foreheads together, unable to get enough of Leeteuk’s presence. “I can’t express how happy I am that you’re here.”

“I would never let you deal with something like this alone. We’re a family. Of course I’m going to be here,” Leeteuk responded, brushing their lips together. He pulled away and looked around the kitchen. “Speaking of which, you’re missing a child.”

Heechul looked around and saw that Kibum had not joined the fun. “He’s probably still asleep. He’s been having bad dreams again but he never remembers having them in the morning.”

“Hey, stop making goo-goo eyes at each other and help us finish cooking,” Key complained, although he secretly enjoyed seeing them together.

 Heechul laughed and patted Leeteuk on the tush, “I’m going to get Kibum, you guys finish up in here.”

He walked away from the joyous laughter and talking, slowly heading up the stairs and to the end of the hallway. The door was closed, which was unusual for Kibum, and when he knocked there was no answer. He let himself in and set to work pulling back the curtains to let light into the room. He sat on the edge of the bed and brushed the hair out of Kibum’s face, wishing he could continue to let Kibum sleep because he looked so peaceful compared to when he was awake. He knew he couldn’t though, and so he gently began to shake Kibum’s shoulder.

“Kibum, it’s time to wake up, sweetie,” Heechul said softly, and Kibum groaned quietly in response. “I made a big breakfast and Leeteuk, Eunhyuk, and Henry are here. Come down and join everyone.”

Kibum slowly blinked, wincing at the brightness.

“Wha…?” He mumbled tiredly, his eyes drooping. Heechul pulled the blankets away and Kibum instantly curled up to save the warmth.

“Up, up, up!” Heechul said in a loud voice. He pulled on Kibum’s arms until he finally sat up. “Wash up, brush your teeth, and come downstairs.”

He waited patiently as Kibum slid out of bed and shuffled to the bathroom. In a zombie-like motion, he washed up and brushed his teeth as instructed. When he was done, Heechul led him downstairs and into the kitchen where he was instantly pulled into multiple hugs.

Leeteuk got to him first and held him tightly, as if he could just hold him until this was all over. He pulled away and smiled at him, ruffling his messy hair. “It’s good to see you, Kibum. I brought something for you but let’s wait until after we eat.”

Kibum nodded sluggishly, only half understanding anything that was said to him. It was too early to be awake and he was just so exhausted. Even so, he allowed himself to be hugged by Eunhyuk and Henry, who insisted that he sit in between the two of them. As they sat down, Kibum slowly looked around the table at his family. Everyone was talking and laughing and having such a good time. He did notice, however, that Donghae was giving him a strange look. But he brushed it off and helped himself to some pancakes and sausage.

“Wa re oing oday, ma?” Mir asked with a mouthful of half-chewed eggs. Heechul gave him a reprimanding look and he quickly swallowed. “I mean, what are we doing today, umma?”

Heechul shrugged and poked at his plate. “Well, Leeteuk and I have some errands to run. We’ve got to rent some storage units, get those giant pods to put furniture and things in, and buy lots of boxes.”

Kibum froze and kept his eyes glued to his plate. He could feel everybody looking at him because they all knew that in two days time he had to return to his former home. There was an unspoken debate about who would accompany him and Heechul, since Leeteuk had to attend Henry’s recital. Personally, he wasn’t keen on the idea of them having anything to do with his life from two years ago. He was going to box it all up; they would want to be nosy.

Breakfast went by slowly but Kibum knew that as soon as Heechul and Leeteuk left to run errands, everyone would jump him for answers.

~continuum~

It was just past noon when Heechul informed everyone that they wer

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter