Ch.17

Where the Lonely Ones Roam
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kibum shivered in the coldness of the night.

The shirt he was wearing did nothing to help shield him from the dropping temperature and he wrapped his arms around himself in order to preserve heat, but then something collided with his shoulder and he looked next to him to see Donghae frowning at him.

“Don’t do that, you’re getting puke all over your hands,” Donghae said, looking at his brother with a look of repulsion. He scoffed and pulled Kibum’s arms apart, careful not to touch the vomit that was all over his brother. “You are so disgusting, Kibum. If you could see how pathetic you looked right now…”

Kibum didn’t answer but looked away shamefully as hot tears rolled down his cheeks. He shakily pulled himself to his feet, unwilling to sit next to the person who was causing him so much humiliation.

“Come here, Kibum,” Heechul said, returning with a black t-shirt and a pair of dark gray sweatpants from his overnight bag. “There isn’t anyone around, let’s just get you changed.”

Kibum felt too sick to argue and allowed Heechul to help him remove his dirtied clothing, shivering when the cold air hit his bare skin. Once he was all settled, Heechul carefully pushed him into the front seat so he could rest for awhile. Kibum leaned against the seat, closing his eyes so he didn’t have to look at himself in the reflection from the window.

When Key and Mir returned with the acquired items, Heechul spent about ten minutes cleaning up the back seat, but there was only so much he could do. After putting Kibum’s soiled clothes in a bag and the dirty paper towels in another, he closed the door and turned to the boys, who were quietly standing out of the way.

“I can’t do much else until we get home,” Heechul informed them, pulling his phone out to send Leeteuk a quick message to find the carpet cleaner and get it ready.

“I don’t want to sit back there, it’s gross,” Donghae complained, crossing his arms over his chest. “Can’t I please have my seat back?”

Heechul sighed, but agreed anyway because he didn’t want to listen to him complain for the rest of the drive. He apologetically made Kibum get out of the car, walking to the other side with him so that he could climb into the middle seat.

Key shook his head dubiously as he reclaimed his seat by the door. He couldn’t believe that Donghae was being such a jerk, but he wasn’t going to stand by anymore. The last time they’d kept secrets about Kibum, he’d gotten hurt. He was going to tell Heechul what he’d heard Donghae say to their brother as soon as they got home.

The thirty minutes it took to arrive were absolute hell for everyone in the car. Kibum continued to cry, squirming and whining in distress because he didn’t want to be in the car anymore. Heechul tried to comfort him, but all he could do was reach over occasionally and rub Kibum’s knee. He felt agitated and pressured to get home, but refused to speed to get there. Everyone else in the car kept to themselves, discretely covering their noses and trying not to breathe because of the unpleasant smell that had filled the car.

When they finally pulled into the driveway, Key sighed in relief and unbuckled his seatbelt. He was just about to get out when he noticed Kibum’s phone lying on the floor. He grabbed it up before getting out of the car and closing the door behind him. He glanced ahead where Heechul was helping Kibum to the house, with Leeteuk waiting for them on the front porch.

“Come on, let’s start bringing the bags inside before it gets any colder,” Mir said, opening the trunk of the car.

Key nodded absentmindedly, but his attention was focused on the phone. The screen had when he’d grabbed it and although he would have been furious if anyone had snooped through his phone, curiosity overtook him. The first thing that showed up was the message history with Donghae and what he read sent him into a blind rage.

< You remind me of that fat kid from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.>

< Oink, Oink!! >

< Thunder thighs! >

< Stop eating you porker. >

“Key, get over here and help us,” Donghae demanded, appearing with an arm full of bags.

Without warning, Key tackled him to the ground, using his fist to punch him in the face. “How dare you?! You stupid, heartless piece of !”

“Key, get off him!” Mir exclaimed, rushing over quickly. He tried to grab Key’s arm, but his brother just pulled away and punched Donghae in the face again. Turning around, he saw that Heechul was standing on the front porch, hugging Leeteuk, so he called for help. “Umma! Help! Key’s attacking Donghae!”

Heechul looked back at the sound of his son’s voice, his eyes widening when he saw what was going on. Instantly the two adults began to run over to them and Heechul grabbed Key by the arms to pull him away as Leeteuk knelt down to check on Donghae.

“What is wrong with you?!” Heechul yelled, struggling to keep control of Key, who was desperately trying to break free. When he’d put enough distance between them and Donghae, he released his grip on Key and shoved him towards the porch. “Get in the house right now! Get in there, go!”

He waited until Key stomped inside, slamming the door behind him. Hurrying back to Leeteuk, he knelt down next to Donghae and helped him sit up. Donghae was covering his face with his hands but even in the dark Heechul could see all the blood. He and Leeteuk hefted him up, supporting him as they walked to the house with Mir following closely behind.

Inside, Eunhyuk and Henry were waiting with looks of concern, stumbling out of the way as their brother was brought into the house, a complete bloodied mess.

“Somebody please get ice and a wet towel,” Leeteuk ordered, lowering Donghae onto the couch. “Quickly!”

Donghae tried to lift his arms to touch his face, but he was swatted away as Heechul tried to find where all the blood was coming from. A moment later, Henry returned with a small baggie of ice and the wet towel, handing them both to his parents. Donghae felt something press against his nose to stop the bleeding and tilted his head back. Ice was placed against his mouth, soothing the sting of his busted lips.

Heechul and Leeteuk carefully tended to him, dabbing ointment onto the split lips and wiping away the blood from his nose as it came, checking to make sure if any of his teeth had been broken. They demanded to know what happened, but Mir couldn’t give them an explanation, just that Key had attacked Donghae out of nowhere.

Eventually Donghae began to calm down and the bleeding came to an end. Eunhyuk had squirmed past Heechul and Leeteuk, sitting next to his best friend and holding his hand comfortingly and telling him that he would be okay. Once he was sure that Donghae was in good hands, Heechul left Leeteuk in charge and went out to the front porch where he’d seen Key slip out a little bit ago.

He found Key sitting on the front step staring out into the darkness of the night, and quietly moved down to sit next to him. Together they sat in silence for severa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter