Chapter Seven

Edge of Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It turned out that Rosé was right; Daesung was definitely lending Yifan some untraceable resources under the table. Jisoo had found wire transfers in Yifan’s account from various shell companies that Jisoo couldn’t seem to trace. The main problem Jisoo had found however, was the fact that all of Yifan’s accounts were currently inactive; none of them had been used for weeks, ever since he ran away to Florence he’s been entirely off -grid. She’s stayed up all night for the past three nights, doing nothing but combing over the flash-drive and monitoring Yifan’s bank accounts in hopes that something will tip off his location. 

 

“He could be anywhere.” Lisa pointed out the obvious. 

 

“It’s not like he can just leave without any contact or connection back to Seoul.” Jisoo replied. 

 

The two of them had been the ones to stay up tonight, after what felt like hours encouraging Rosé to go and get some much needed sleep. There were bags under her eyes and she could barely register most of the words that came out of Jisoo or Lisa’s mouth. To be entirely frank, she looked like something straight off the Walking Dead and it was kind of gross. Rosé argued with them at first, claiming she just needed to take a quick cold shower and she’d be fine, but Lisa had dragged her upstairs to the bed and pinned her down until Rosé agreed she’d at least try to find some sleep. It only took a few minutes before Lisa deemed her officially out cold. 

 

So now, with Rosé more or less peacefully sleeping upstairs, Jisoo felt a bit more at ease as she typed into her computer searching for something different than everything she’d seen so far. Jisoo hadn’t told the others about her hunch yet, but she had come to the conclusion a few days ago that Yifan had connections to whatever was left of Third Eye, the group Jisoo used to align herself with. She didn’t think it was that farfetched for them to have taken to bed with criminals, a far cry from what they were supposed to be, but Jisoo found it a little odd that they would be helping Yifan and or Daesung without letting their presence be known. It was something Jisoo distinctly remembered about the group, they wanted the fame more than they cared about helping people and they always left a signature on everything they were responsible for. 

 

Certainly they knew about the flash-drives, who else was capable of updating them like this? However, Jisoo thought about it and she realized there would have been no way that the creators of this device, especially if they had ever been apart of Third Eye, would have no way of tracking it. In fact, the only way that Jisoo could imagine someone not being able to find this thing if they knew exactly what to look for, would be if they were dead. No hacker or engineer would build such a powerful device without a failsafe that they could enact; but if they never got the chance… 

 

Lisa was on the couch, eating from a family-size bag of chips, not really paying attention to the fact that her hands were starting to become pretty greasy. Jisoo sighed heavily when she caught something. It wasn’t a full bite, just a little nibble, but Jisoo thought that it could become more so she decided to follow the little lead. “Hey,” she muttered, the sound barely audible, “come check this out.” 

 

Lisa caught the words just before she put a chip into and immediately darted towards Jisoo. “You find something?” 

 

“Just a street cam. It’s really fuzzy and I can’t clean it up more than this, but the facial recognition software I designed says it’s about an 80% match to Yifan.”

 

“Where?” Lisa asked, as she analyzed the photo just a bit more.  

 

“Seoul.” Jisoo said, the sound of triumph clear in her voice. “East side. Near one of his warehouses. It’s his storage building I think.” 

 

Lisa squinted at the screen. The image certainly was blurry, but Lisa could tell from the way the man was holding himself it was Yifan, after all she had studied him for months. She nodded, clapped a hand on Jisoo’s shoulder (which slightly frightened the latter) and darted towards the stairs, calling out for Rosé. “We got him!” 

 

Jisoo couldn’t see them, but she could hear the sound of Lisa bouncing on the bed and Rosé growling. “Let’s go, let’s go! We have to hurry!” Lisa yelled. “Put on your pants and meet me at the car!” Lisa said as she ran down the stairs, grabbing her jacket off the ledge of the couch and speeding towards the door. 

 

“I’m taking the bike!” Rosé called out. 

 

“I’ll race you to Yifan’s storage center!” Lisa yelled back as the door slammed behind her. 

 

Rosé growled, but she was smiling as she buttoned her pants. Jisoo watched, partially in awe and partially in confusion as Rosé raced after Lisa, yelling something about how the latter will never be able to beat her bike. Rosé was laughing as she closed the door behind her. Jisoo had to shake her head in order to clear herself of confusion over how much Rosé seemed to change within just a moment’s notice. “Be careful kids! I’ll be watching!” Jisoo called, though she figured the other two couldn’t hear. 

 

She turned her attention back to her computers and checked the traffic cameras as she waited to see Lisa’s Corvette speeding from the parking garage, followed by Rosé’s Blackbird that would weave through all the cars in her way. “I’ll be watching?” Jisoo mumbled. “That is so creepy…” 

 

***

 

“You cheated.” Lisa said. 

 

“See, you’re a sore loser.” Rosé replied. 

 

“I am not! You just cheated and I don’t like cheaters.” 

 

Rosé glanced behind her, giving Lisa one of those yeah-sure looks that Lisa had come to despise from the other. Before Lisa could reply and tell Rosé just how much she hated that look, Rosé was ducking down behind a car parked across the street from the warehouse. “Look, there he is.” she said. 

 

Lisa could see nothing more than the back of his head as he appeared to be talking to a couple of other people. Lisa and Rosé shared a look, Rosé nodding her head in the direction of the entrance. Lisa nodded, ready to go, but Rosé grabbed her arm and kept her still. Lisa quizzically watched as Rosé typed something into her phone and waited. Lisa was about to ask exactly what Rosé was doing, but her answer came in the form of a text from Jisoo. “Infrared says only three guards on the upper level, but six downstairs.” Lisa read the message Rosé has probably already seen. “You wanna keep the play the same?” Lisa sked. “Lower level will be a lot more dangerous and with your whole no-killing thing, it might be harder.” 

 

“No, we stay the course.” 

 

Rosé nodded her head to tell Lisa to go, the latter hesitating only for a second before darting off into the night. Rosé took a deep and heavy breath as she waited until Lisa was at the building before she began walking towards the entrance. 

 

She waited a brief second before she pulled at the large and heavy metal door, immediately stepping inside. The two gunman by the door were easy enough to handle, Rosé knocking one’s gun from his hand with a well timed kick and the other she broke his wrist to keep him from being able to fire his weapon. Before the either of two could really get a chance to actually fight her, she sent one face first into the corner of the wall next to her as she kicked the other’s knee, tossing him outside immediately afterwards. 

 

Surely enough when she turned her attention back to the others in the large open space, every single man had a gun aimed at her. “You again.” Yifan said, his voice clearly amused. 

 

“Wu Yifan,” Rosé called, raising her arms above her head in surrender, “I just want to talk.” 

 

The aforementioned man smirked in amusement, but did not lower his weapon, nor did he order the others to. “What have we to talk about my de

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter