Chapter Five

Edge of Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jisoo had only been to this cafe once before when she was chasing a lead on the flashdrive a few days after she discovered it. This place was small, the wifi easily hackable, it was far from her place and it wasn’t the most popular of shops in the area, being tucked behind a couple of different warehouses on a less busy street. Jisoo had watched over a month’s worth of security footage for the place before she determined there weren’t an regular customers that could potentially ever identify her or the others coming to meet her. 

 

When she had entered the shop the day of her scheduled meeting with the two lady-thieves, there were only a couple of other people inside; an old man by the door typing on a laptop, a woman staring at a computer screen intensely as she scribbled something onto a notepad and a young man in the corner playing on his phone behind an open laptop. Jisoo assumed that it would be safe enough for her to sit at a four person table in the back, opening up her laptop and immediately hacking into the security cameras to stop them from recording today. 

 

It didn’t take long for Jisoo to get in and shut the cameras down, installing a loop in its place for when the manager would wake up and check the feed. Based on her analysis of the place, he would awake, check the camera feed and then fall back asleep soon as possible in the back. Jisoo had figured her tracks would be almost entirely covered by coming here. 

 

It was so sudden and quick, the way the Jisoo’s system flashed, if she had blinked she would have missed it. She immediately looked around, everyone else in the shop looked just as they had before, no one person looked out of place. Jisoo began to panic; she’d seen something similar to this in college, when someone hacked into her computer, to prove that nothing was unhackable. Jisoo tapped her finger against the wooden table nervously as she looked around. She squinted at her computer as she typed, checking for any signs of an intruder. Whoever had entered her systems was good, certainly a skilled hacker with a nice code that nearly shattered through Jisoo’s own. However good they were though, Jisoo was better. She smirked at the faint, nearly invisible trail the hacker left behind. Whoever it was was definitely inside the coffee shop, trying to gain access to some of Jisoo’s closely guarded files. 

 

There was about a half an hour until Jisoo’s meeting was scheduled and she wasn’t about to jeopardize it because of some unknown hacker. Jisoo began typing as quickly as she could smiling when her work is finished. She leans back, a feigned worried expression on her face as she looks around the shop. The old man on the computer is still staring at the screen, the woman is still writing on her paper, but the kid playing on his phone had a brow raised as he typed something into his computer then turned his attention back to the phone. 

 

A few seconds later his computer began blasting out one of the latest girl group songs, his screen flashing hundreds of bright colors. Jisoo smirked to herself, pleased that her trap worked. She watched him panic for a moment before she stomped over to his table and sat down across from him. She pulled his computer away from him, typed a few things into it, ceasing the singing and shutting down the laptop. She closed the thing and slid it back to the man across from her, the most intimidating expression she could muster painted on her face. 

 

At first this man looked at her with a bit of fear and maybe even some regret, but it was soon replaced with a smug smile. “That was pretty clever of you.” he said. 

 

Jisoo raised a brow, not letting her glare falter. “I could tell the codework was patchy, but everyone has a bad day and I figured maybe you were just tired when you did it.” 

 

“I don’t have bad days.” Jisoo replied, leaning back in her chair and crossing her arms. 

 

He scoffed, his smirk only brightening as he opened his computer. “Everyone has bad days.” he repeated. “Anyway, Jisoo, I got pretty deep in your computer, a lot of files are mine and I don’t really know what you’re hiding, but I’m pretty certain I’ll find out soon.” 

 

Jisoo growled and leaned forward, letting every ounce of fearsomeness she had in her drain into her eyes for this guy to see. “I don’t know what you think you have, but I don’t leave anything important unguarded and this laptop, is the one I use specifically for small time hacking so there’s nothing on it that means anything to me. It’s not even connected to my other systems, I’m not stupid, but you don’t look that smart so,” Jisoo reached forward and grabbed his coffee, taking the lid off and pouring the steaming liquid all over his computer, “let’s just see what you have now.” 

 

She leaned back in her seat, pleased with herself as he growled and began cleaning up the mess, trying to salvage his computer. In a very automatic and careless action, he tossed his cellphone in front of Jisoo and away from the mess. Jisoo thought about taking it, seeing what this guy was all about, but she thought better of the action as he darted to grab more napkins. Jisoo watched the action for a second, but the aforementioned device suddenly lit up and her attention was drawn back to it. 

 

Mark:
Hey Jinyoung! Just checking to make sure we’re still on for 6
Mark:
The diner by the station right?
Mark:
I can’t wait to see you! 

 

Just as quickly as the device illuminated itself it went black again and Jisoo’s attention was back on who she assumed was this Jinyoung. She stood up and placed a hand on his chest as she leaned up to whisper in his ear. “And Jinyoung, I need this place to be hacker-free within the next ten minutes.” Jinyoung opened his mouth to speak, but Jisoo was quick to finish before he could. “Besides, it’s twenty to six and Mark will be waiting at that diner. You could take a train!” she tapped his chest as she walked away, her own smug smile on her lips. 

 

***

 

Jennie’s hands were covered in blood. It was dripping from her bare skin down into the blackness that surrounded her. She couldn’t see it, but she could hear each drop hit the ground with an anticlimactic thud that left behind and eerie echo until the next drop followed up. Her vision was blurred, but even still she felt as though she could see clearly. She knew what surrounded her, she could see the nothingness that was consuming her, but there was a film over he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter