Chapter Eleven

Edge of Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


Chanyeol came for Rosé sometime later that morning, Jisoo handing each of them their brand new fake passports and I.D’s. Rosé had grumbled something about how Jisoo could’ve just made Lisa a new passport like she did for them, but the second Chanyeol spoke up about her still being afraid of him she snatched the passport and practically stormed out of the apartment towards her car. 

Lisa, though somewhat reluctant to leave Jennie alone with Jisoo for the first time since they brought her into the fold, but Baekhyun keeps texting about the urgency of their day so Lisa leaves with maybe a little less hesitation than she should. 

By the time she finally got to Baekhyun’s place to pick him up, he had called her sixteen times and texted her 54 messages and Lisa was nearly ready to punch him in the face the second he said a word. She told him they were going to drive in silence to the Vault and for the first time in ever Baekhyun listened to her. The second they got there though, Baekhyun spoke up again. 

“How’s it feel being back here?” 

Lisa looks at him with a look that was a cross between confusion and disgust. “Fine.” 

“You’re not going to let possibly running into your old friends compromise the mission are you?” 

“Of course not. I know what we’re here for and I won’t let anything jeopardize that.” 

Baekhyun gives her a quick once over, contemplating her seriousness for a second, maybe even doubting his idea to bring her in on this, but Lisa tightens her grip on her gun for a moment just before she holsters the thing. “Ready or not?” she growls. 

Baekhyun lets out a deep sigh and gestures towards the maze of storage units in front of them. Lisa nods and mutters a quick thanks as she starts walking towards the buildings. 

As Lisa approached the building she could feel her heart racing so fast she thought that the beating could be heard even from miles away. She let out the breath she hadn’t realized she was holding as she held her gun in front of her, ready to fire at a moment’s notice. It was dark, usually the time in which Nonagon went out on missions, which meant that any members of the team wouldn’t be here, instead they’d be out helping with the op. Lisa could easily take out whatever hired guns they left behind to guard this place. 

She knew Nonagon kept their most important files here, in this place and she had a feeling that there had to be some information on Daesung here and if she could just find it… she’d have what she wanted. She’d finally have her revenge. 

The metal grate flooring of the upper levels was loud and hard to be quiet on, that’s what got her caught. At least that’s what Lisa blames it on when she hears the sound of the safety on a gun being clicked off behind her. Her eyes widen as she straightens her back and slowly turns around, ready to kill whoever is in her way. 

“Bobby.” she says as she notices her old friend pointing a gun towards her. 

“What are you doing here?” he growls. 

“No hello?” Lisa asks, her hands up in the air in surrender. 

Bobby flinched and pushed the gun closer to her when she takes a bold step towards him. “Don’t move.” 

“What are you gonna do? Shoot me?” Lisa questions, taking another step forward. “You won’t shoot me. You’re my friend and you don’t want to hurt me anymore than I want to hurt you.” 

Bobby swallows the knot forming in his throat as he steadies his grip on his weapon. “Lisa you have to leave.” 

She shakes her head as she looks him in the eye, lowering her hands just the slightest bit. “You know I can’t do that. They know how to find the man who killed my parents and I need that information.”

Lisa muttered her sorry and before Bobby had a chance to question it she was charging him. 

They fought for a moment and Bobby wasn’t quite a match for Lisa, but somehow in the haze of all the falling and punching and kicking he got his hands back on his gun and he pulled the trigger as soon as the weapon was pointed at Lisa. One bullet missed, but the other went straight into her shoulder, narrowly missing her heart. It hurt like hell. Probably more than anything else Lisa had ever felt in her life. 

She was on the ground, unable to bring herself to stand up and fight in the midst of the foreign pain that filled her whole body. She’d never been shot before and at this point she didn’t think she could recover. Bobby was standing over her now, holding the gun towards her head. She let out a harsh and ragged breath as she looked away from him. 

“Do it.” 

The safety clicked. 

“No. Get up.” 

Lisa didn’t move, but when Bobby yelled she decided it was probably better to obey. She forced herself to think past her own pain and move until she was standing on somewhat shaky legs. 

“Get out.” 

Lisa looked up at the man still holding a gun to her head, but not looking her in the eye, and she let out a breath as she stared quizzically for type of emotion on the others face. “What?” 

“I said get out. Go now or I swear to God I will kill you right here.” 

“Bobby-” 

“Now!” he screamed, loud enough to make Lisa jump in fear. “Get out of here!” 

Lisa could see the hesitation in his eyes and she let it be her distraction. She took a single step to turn away, but instead of running for the hills she kicked the gun from Bobby’s hands and whipped out a knife that she instantly against his throat as she pushed him back. He was pinned, she had him, any move and she’d kill him either with the knife or a simple push over the railing. She looked down at the gun, swinging her leg out to kick the thing aside to shatter as it hit the ground below them. 

“Don’t follow me.” 

It was somewhat weak on account of her injury, but she moved with just enough speed and grace as though she was only barely hurt. 

“You okay?” Baekhyun asks suddenly, as he finishes picking the lock to the door in front of them. 

“Yeah. Fine.” Lisa replies, not looking his way as she stands watch. “Just hurry up.” 

“Alright, alright. I’m going. Just make sure no one interrupts while I get the info we need.” 

Lisa nods and tells Baekhyun to hurry up once more as she looks around outside the storage unit. “219A, it’s what’s going to lead us to Daesung.” 

“What’s in this magical file anyway?” Lisa asks. 

“It’s the record of everything Daesung had done while he was with Nonagon. All his missions.” 

“Why couldn’t we just get Jisoo to hack into their servers so we could see it all without having to do the dangerous stuff? You sentimental?” 

“It’s never been digitized. None of this stuff has been digitized. It exists solely in file form for the sole sake of no can hack paper.” 

“Yeah, but they sure can steal it.” 

“Yes we can. Just as soon as we can find it.” 

Lisa sighs, but before she has the chance to complain she sees someone turn the corner nearest to them, walking the opposite direction. She is quick to shush Baekhyun before he can speak any further, telling him the Watchman is here and he’ll be coming this way soon enough. 

“Why don’t you just shoot him before he even knows we’re here?” 

Lisa looks at him, wanting to say the words I can’t, but she’s not willing to answer the questions those words would bring so she ignores them. 

“I have a plan. Trust in the plan.” she says instead. 

She tells Baekhyun to be quiet one last time as she listens to the footsteps outside of the room. She waits for the them to get so close they’re almost deafening, then she yells for Baekhyun to find the file as quickly as possible and she charges whoever is outside. The two go flying, nearly over the railing, but not quite. They roll around for a moment, each of them trying to gain an upper hand, but whoever this guy is he’s strong. Strong enough to free his hand from where Lisa had it pinned and punches her hand in the kidney, knocking her off him. 

Then, within an instant, she sees him. 

“Bobby.” she mutters. 

“It’s been a long time, but I knew you’d come back. I’ve been waiting.” 

“You should’ve finished me off when you hand the chance.” she growls back. 

“Likewise. There won’t be any mercy this time.” 

“Likewise.” 

Just like that, they’re fighting. It’s a fury of fists and legs all being thrown with such vigor and determination to win and damage their opponent it’s almost earth-shaking in the way they move. Every time either one of them gets a hit in the other comes back with a hit twice as hard and for a moment it seems like neither of them will ever be able to win. 

Lisa gets the upper hand suddenly though, tripping Bobby and knocking him onto

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter