Chapter Three

Edge of Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jisoo had nearly jumped for joy when she saw the two she’d been searching for appear on her screen. They were breaking into EXO Consolidated, something that had become quite popular as of late, but they seemed to know all of the means to open coded doors and shut off alarms, something the others did not. Jisoo watched them through the cameras of the building as they searched for files Jisoo knew weren’t there any longer. 

 

When she saw the group of men, each of them armed from what Jisoo could tell approaching the lab she immediately hacked into the building’s security system, keeping them out of the room for as long as she could without alerting her presence. When they finally did get into the lab, Jisoo was already working on turning out the lights and making sure the two girls had at least a little cover. Then, once the emergency lights were activated, Jisoo took a slightly deeper look at the systems in the room and discovered that nearly everything was powered by one single computer. It was a bit of a challenge to hack into the thing, but she did it just in time to turn on a hot plate one of them men was leaning on to the highest setting. She smiled at her work for a moment before she dialed one of the desk phones. 

 

Jisoo bit her lip as she waited for one of them answer. “Come on, pick up the phone…” she whispered mostly to herself. 

 

It was the girl with short blonde hair who moved to pick up the phone first, immediately putting it onto speaker. Jisoo smiled and made sure her voice modulator was one before she spoke next. “I’m glad you answered. I was starting to think you wouldn’t.” Jisoo said. 

 

“Who are you and what do you want?” The girl with the longer hair questioned. 

 

“I’m a friend. You’re searching for the drive too aren’t you?” 

 

The girl with the short hair looked cautiously at the other, prompting her to speak instead. “What do you know about the drive?” 

 

“I know that it’s got a lot of dirty details about a lot of people in it and I also know that in the wrong hands it could be very dangerous.” 

 

“Well I think that’s pretty much common knowledge.” the short haired one replied. 

 

Jisoo resisted the urge to chuckle as the two looked around the room for any signs of Jisoo. “I also know where it came from and who those guys all around you are. They work for an up and coming criminal organization.” 

 

“What are they called?” one of them, Jisoo didn’t quite catch who, questioned. 

 

“I can’t tell you that, I don’t know if I can trust you yet. I have a feeling though that maybe we can help each other taken down these guys before they take over our city.” 

 

“We’re not interested in stopping another criminal organization. We have our own agendas.” the short haired one all but growled. 

 

Jisoo nodded and turned her chair around to another one of her computers, typing as quick as she possibly could. “Yeah, I did some research on that too… Nonagon ring a bell to either of you?” 

 

There was a silence from the other line, but Jisoo didn’t turn to see who looked the most shocked at the questioned. “Thought so. So, there’s some serious heat between them and the guy who I think is in charge of everyone, take a look.” 

 

Jisoo turned back towards the screen with the girls on it just in time to see one of the lab computers click on as a picture of the man she was thinking of appeared on the screen. Both of the girls looked curiously at the somewhat blurry photo of the man captured from a street cam. Jisoo carefully studied their responses as they looked at the image. The girl with the short hair almost cautiously approached the screen as she stared intensely at the photo.
 

“Daesung.” she whispered just loud enough for Jisoo to catch. 

 

The other girl also seemed just as shocked as Jisoo about this new revelation. “You know how to find this man?” the long hair one questioned. 

 

Jisoo nodded and hummed in response. “I guess we can help each other. Let’s meet.” she said, her words putting a smile on Jisoo’s face. 

 

*** 

 

It had been a total of two weeks since her mother was murdered and Jennie had finally tracked a promising lead. She rolled up on the motorcycle she had stolen earlier that night to the shipping docks where her lead was supposed to be doing a deal of sorts. She didn’t know what he looked like, all she had was an alias so when she walked into the warehouse the deal was to be taking place she didn’t hesitate in firing her guns and tossing her knives, killing or wounding the seven men guarding the three who appeared to be making the deal. “Which one of you is Onew.” she growled, pointing another gun in their direction. 

 

All three of them raised their hands in surrender, two of them glancing at the man in the middle. Just then Jennie pulled the trigger twice, effectively sending two bullets into the skulls of the men standing on either side of Onew. “Please what do you want with me?” he cried, dropping to his knees and shaking his hands in fear. 

 

Jennie darted over to him, fired her gun at one of the guards who attempted to stand and kneed Onew hard in the face. She climbed on top of him and shot yet another man who was starting to get up. She tossed the gun beside her and pulled her hunting knife from the sheath wrapped around her thigh and pressed it firmly against Onew’s throat. By this point he was openly crying and begging for his life and the sight was nothing short of a pleasant victory for Jennie to see. “I’m looking for someone.” she said in a soft, honey-coated voice. “You’re going to help me find me him.” 

 

The man nodded furiously in response, still begging to live and claiming that’d he do anything. Jennie smiled at him as she pressed the blade deeper into his skin, admiring the small trickle of blood. “Who’s your boss?” Jennie asked. “Who bought all of these drugs?” 

 

“I-I did.” Onew stuttered. 

 

Jennie tsked in response and slide her blade just slightly across his throat. He winced at the pain and tried to struggle out of her grip and away from the knife, but Jennie kept him in his place. “P-please…” Onew begged, “I’ll do anything.” 

 

Jennie nodded and looked down at the man beneath her with a fierce, but still somewhat sweet look. She flipped the blade in her hand as quick as lightning so it was now the tip of the weapon that touched Onew’s skin. He continued to struggle and Jennie’s eyes darted to the side where she saw his hand reaching for her gun. She snarled ferociously and pulled a much smaller blade from her waist and it

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter