Chapter Thirteen

Edge of Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jennie was finally in the shower, after what felt like years of Jisoo convincing her it was okay and wouldn’t be a problem. Jisoo was trying her best to find them more leads, but it was hard when she was up against a whole team of hackers who know how to hide themselves as well as what appeared to be two major companies and at least one organized crime unit hellbent on taking over Seoul. Needless to say, Jisoo was starting to get tired of being a mock-hero and she was stretching her last wire hoping for a result. 

She was on her edge, ready to smash her computer with a baseball bat when she heard the front door lock click. She was quick to turn around and see an absolutely tired and defeated looking Lisa standing there, bandages around her hands and across her face, which is swollen pretty badly across on side. Jisoo was quick to forget everything she’d been doing to go help the younger, who almost had enough strength to fight against her. 

“What the hell happened to you?” Jisoo questions as she helps Lisa lay down on the bed. 

“I’m fine.” Lisa replies easily, as though she doesn’t feel the way she looks. “I just need some rest. I couldn’t get it at Baekhyun’s place, I didn’t want to come back here and worry you, but Rosé’s place is ytrapped to all hell and I didn’t want to risk it without her there.” 

“It’s okay. I know you’re some strong assassin-lady, but you have to remember you can still get hurt while you’re out there okay? I don’t want to see any of you come home all injured, alright?” 

Lisa smiles at the way Jisoo is looking down at her with a level of seriousness akin to a mother. It’s a sweet look and Lisa feels herself relaxing for the first time that entire day since she’d gone out with Baekhyun. 

“Also, no staying out all day like this again without checking in.” 

“Will do. I’ll be careful and I’ll keep you updated. Always.” 

“Good. Do you want some water or something?” she asks so gently that Lisa feels her body being lulled into a comfortable state that seems like it might actually last. 

“No.” Lisa whispers. “I just want to get some rest.” 

Jisoo nods, pulling the covers over Lisa’s body. 

“Alright. Rosé and Chanyeol go undercover at press conference tomorrow morning, I’ll try and wake you up before then so you can help me monitor.” 

“Press conference?” Lisa questions, opening her eyes again and looking up at Jisoo. 

“Right, you weren’t here. I’ll brief you after you’ve gotten some rest okay?” 

Lisa nods and hums when Jisoo leans over her and clicks the bedside lamp off. 

*** 

Chanyeol was ready, well rested and he had been undercover plenty of times in the past, he had no doubt that he could carry out this mission with complete and utter perfection. It was Rosé that he was worried about. She was yawning a lot more than someone who was as “well-rested” as she was and Chanyeol could see the bags under her eyes before she covered them expertly with make-up. 

“Are you sure you’re ready for this?” he asks as their car pulls up to the hotel the event is to be taking place. 

“Of course I’m ready. You really don’t need to ask anymore.” she replies. 

Chanyeol nods, because it’s all he can do without starting something with the younger in such a public place as this. He can only pray as he walks behind her towards the security guards that she can handle the mission without compromising it. 

“I’m sorry miss, but you’re not on the list.” the man says. 

“Why don’t you check again-” Chanyeol growls, but quickly steps back when Rosé places her hand on his shoulder, as they decided she would. 

“Stand down Mr. Kim, I’m sure it’s just a simple misunderstanding.” 

“Why don’t you have an I.D badge?” the guard asks. 

“I must’ve forgotten it in the car. Silly me, always forgetting important things. Mr. Kim, why don’t you get it?” 

“I’m your bodyguard for this trip, I can’t leave you alone.” 

“Listen, you may be the only person I brought with me to Japan, but that doesn’t mean I can’t have you replaced like that.” she snaps her fingers to accentuate her point. “Besides, I’m sure that this handsome gentleman will be able to take care of me while you’re away.” 

Rosé looks up at the guard and smiles her sweet smile and Chanyeol can see the man visibly tense up just a bit as he probably imagines what Rosé will let him do, or what he thinks she’ll let him do. If only he knew better. 

Chanyeol feels a bit of rage well up in his gut when he thinks of that man trying something on his companion. It makes him want to just shoot the guy and hide his body in the shrubbery before anyone notices, but he settles with just balling his hand into a fist in his pocket. He can’t be acting so overprotective, it could jeopardize the mission. 

“What are you waiting for?” Rosé snaps suddenly, pulling Chanyeol from his thoughts. “Go already.” 

Chanyeol looks down at her, gives the door guard a harsh glare that he hopes is enough to keep him off Rosé, then darts away around the side of the building to wait for Rosé’s signal. 

“God, sometimes I think he’ll never leave.” Rosé says. 

“He’s your bodyguard?” 

“Yeah, but he’s lazy. A slacker really.” 

“Doesn’t seem like it. In fact it looked like he wanted to do nothing but protect you.” 

Rosé shrugs and turns her full attention to the man. “Enough about him, yeah? Why don’t you tell me a little about yourself. I haven’t been interested in someone in a while in the way I’m interested in you.” she takes a step closer to the man, who almost immediately has his hands on her waist. 

“You know, your bodyguard has a thing for you. It’s plain as day.” 

Rosé looks up at him in shock and confusion. The man chuckles at her response and leans down to capture her lips with his own. 

“What? You didn’t know? It’s so obvious.” 

“You’re mistaken. He’d never-” 

“Oh but he does. I’d bet he wants to do to you what I’m about to do to you.” 

The man swings Rosé’s body around and pushes her up against the icy cold brick wall of the hotel. He’s smiling so widely and devilishly that Rosé nearly feels herself throw up in . 

“Alright, you know what, I’m sick of you.” 

The man has half the mind to let out a quick breathy ‘what’ before Rosé has her hands around his gun and is then slamming said weapon into the man’s head. 

She peers around the corner to see Chanyeol standing there waiting patiently, something akin to pure rage laced in body movements as storms past her towards the man on the ground. 

Rosé does nothing but watch in shock as Chanyeol kicks the already unconscious man hard in the ribs before he drags him around the corner and shoves his body in the trunk of a car. 

“Gotta love valet parking.” he says as he wipes off any dust from his shoulders and smooths out his suit jacket. “You ready for phase two?” he asks. 

Rosé blinks a few times before nodding and practically running after Chanyeol towards the door of the hotel. 

The lobby inside is

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter