Chapter Nine

Edge of Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He had to run. There was nothing he could do but run. If he didn’t run, he’d be dead. He had to make it to Baekhyun. He had to. 

 

***

Rosé didn’t trust her. Not even the slightest bit. She was a serial killer, cold blooded in a way that Lisa wasn’t. She murdered because she could; because she was fueled by a pure need to kill in the name of some stupid crusade. Maybe it was a little hypocritical of Rosé to be upset over this woman’s’ need for vengeance, but she knew it wasn’t stupid to doubt her every intention at every turn they made, because this Jennie, was a murderess, psychotic and most importantly, she was a . 

 

Despite all of this though, Lisa still believed in her worth as an asset, which was something Rosé would have been glad to go along with had she not hated Jennie so much. Lisa had suggested she stop looking at Jennie as an asset and more like a cow; something to be milked and then slaughtered once it outgrew it’s use. Rosé quite liked the sound of that. 

 

She was leaning against the front door to Jisoo’s apartment, watching as the latter and Lisa questioned the other, following up on every word that tumbled from her lips. She was speaking in a way that Rosé thought was akin to a robot. She knew what to say and she knew how to say it. She was keenly aware of how Lisa leans forward when she’s skeptical about something or how Jisoo is definitely trusting, but perhaps not of her or her motives. 

 

Rosé can’t help the feeling when it comes when she hopes Jisoo will back her up when she makes it clear she doesn’t want Jennie here. The tides don’t appear to be going her way however, if the way Jisoo seems to be letting her guard down, if only slightly, is any indication. 

 

“How do we know, if we let you stay apart of this team that you won’t become a threat?” Jisoo asks. 

 

Jennie shrugs. “I guess you don’t. I won’t say you’ll just have to trust me, because it’s clear,” Jennie lets her eyes dart towards Rosé for a split, barely noticeable second, “that not all of you are willing to try, but that doesn’t matter. We’re on the same side. Against K.D., I want to see the light drain from his eyes just as much as any of you and I’ll do whatever it takes to make that happen.” 

 

“That’s exactly what we’re cautious of.” Rosé pushes herself off the door as she speaks, locking her eyes on Jennie. 

The others in the room saw it, questioned it even, but still keep their mouths shut once they see that almost predatory look in Rosé’s eyes. It’s clear she’s in a vicious mood and there won’t be any stopping her from taking down her prey. “You aren’t the loyal type. You’ll betray us the moment it suits you.” 

 

“You don’t know me, so how can you be so sure?” Jennie replies, standing up to face Rosé head on; a choice the others think is almost certainly a signature on her death certificate. 

 

Rosé scoffs, crossing her arms and nodding her head in Jennie’s direction. “Have you even heard of you? The Huntress, vengeful serial killer, hell bent on doing whatever suits her own agenda.” 

 

“I’m helping to clean the streets of Seoul. I’m ridding it of all the bad that plagues it. You still from it’s citizen to forward yourself; your a con-artist, a thief, the lowest form of criminal.” 

 

Rosé glares at her as anger boils in her blood, rising up to an almost uncontrollable level. “Says the woman who kills innocents.” 

 

“Not a single person I’ve killed is innocent! They’re bottom-feeders, disgusting people who steal and lie without a care in the world for the people they’re hurting.” 

 

“That’s what the police are for! You think they’re so dirty? You want to be a vigilante? Get you evidence and turn it over to the police; it’s what Jisoo did and she definitely made Seoul a better place, without hurting people. All you’re doing, is inspiring fear.” 

 

Jennie balls her hand into fists and Rosé is more than ready to fight her, but the sound of her phone ringing cuts through the tension in the air like a blade. Rosé raises her hand and turns her back, signaling for Jennie to stop. Lisa is quick to approach the latter and start calming her down so Rosé can attend to her phone call without worry of being attacked. 

 

“Rosé?” says the other voice the moment Rosé says hello, his voice slightly unclear and definitely out of breath. 

 

“Baek? What’s going on? Are you okay?” 

 

“I’m fine, nearly dead, but fine. Some of my guys were attacked while working. They threatened destroyed my shop as a warning to stay away from them. This Daesung business is starting to get bad.” 

 

“Oh my god, is Tae alright?” 

 

“He’s a little shaken up. He was here when they roughed up the place, didn’t touch him much though.” 

 

“.” 

 

“Brightside of all this, they left something behind. Come down to the shop and I’ll hand over the lead.” 

 

“I’ll be there in thirty.” 

 

Rosé hangs up the phone and turns back to the others. “We’ve got a problem. Daesung just made a move. Let’s go.” 

 

***

 

The four of them are quick to get to Baekhyun’s pawn shop, mostly by way of Rosé’s driving as much over the speed limit as much as possible. Once they arrive they’re greeted by pissed off Baekhyun standing out front. Rosé barely makes an effort parking the car before she leaps from the car to hug him. “God,” she mutters once she sees just how much these people destroyed his shop. “They really did a number on your place.” she says. 

 

Baekhyun shrugs. “It’s nothing I can’t get fixed. I’ll have the damage repaired before the week is over. As for the inside, it was exactly that; . Replaceable .” 

 

Rosé chuckles and turns to introduce the three who have just gotten out of the car. “Baekhyun this is Jisoo, the Huntress and-” 

 

“Lalisa?” Baekhyun questions once he sees her. “Is that really you?” 

 

“Wait a ing second, you never said your Baek was this .” Lisa replies. 

 

“I didn’t realize you two had a history?” Rosé says. 

 

“He helped me a lot while I was in Nonagon and then after when I needed a place to crash in the city.” 

 

“Don’t forget the bullet wounds I stitched up.” Baekhyun replies. 

 

Lisa rolls her eyes and pushes past Rosé and Baekhyun both. “How can I forget when you won’t let me?” she growls as she enters the inside of the shop. 

 

T

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter