Chapter Eight

Edge of Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Yeah, but are you sure he can be trusted?” Rosé asked again, pretty much entirely ignoring everything Lisa had just said about Bambam. 

 

“Yes. How many times do I have to tell you Rosé, I’d trust him with my life and I know he trusts me with his.” 

 

Rosé nodded in that manner she did when she thought her point was just being proven and there was no point in arguing anymore. Lisa ignored her, giving a low growl as she walked past her towards where Jisoo sat typing at her computer. “You any closer?” Lisa questioned, leaning over Jisoo’s shoulders. 

 

“Almost in, but you constantly leaning over my shoulder doesn’t help any.” Jisoo replied, not taking her eyes away from the computer screen. 

 

Lisa nodded in understanding, muttering a quick apology as she backed away. It was hardly even a minute more before Bambam’s luxurious loft appeared on one of her screens. He was pouring himself a drink, not much seeming out place to Lisa’s eyes other than all the red plastic cups strung about everywhere; though for Bambam that wasn’t something Lisa could really consider out of place. “Seems normal enough.” Jisoo said. 

 

“No sign of the bodyguard.” Rosé added, the slightest hint of something vile that Lisa couldn’t identify behind her words. 

 

“Just keep your facial recognition thing running over the apartment.” Lisa said, choosing to ignore Rosé instead of picking a fight. 

 

“If JB shows his face anywhere near Bambam’s building, I’ll know.” 

 

Lisa nodded, pleased with the information. “I’m gonna go get some rest, tell me if JB shows up or if you get anything on his connection to Yifan.” 

 

Jisoo nodded as she watched as Lisa walked away towards the bed upstairs, knowing full-well Rosé was barely able to sleep after a failed mission. Lisa figured this one hit a little closer to home considering how close they were to their only solid lead before he slipped away. Lisa didn’t think it, but she could tell by how Rosé wasn’t even paying attention to her as Lisa walked towards the stairs, she was thinking it was her fault Yifan got away. 

 

Lisa fell asleep the moment her aching body hit the sheets upstairs. She didn’t bother changing out of her clothes from earlier (she’d wash Jisoo’s sheets later to make up for it), as she was just too tired to do anything more than let her eyes fall closed. 

 

Lisa didn’t dream all that often; they weren’t ever nice and so she stayed awake until she was able to fall into a deep, dreamless sleep, but these past few nights have been hard on her mind and body. So much so that Lisa couldn’t bare to stay awake another minute. Rosé wasn’t the only one who felt herself falling into some sort of darkness over this whole ordeal. Lisa could feel the heaviness of that feeling when you take one step further, but end up two steps back. It was weighing her down. She was worried about her friend and she just wanted some sort of peace. 

 

As if her mind would ever allow her that type of luxury. 

 

Bambam has always had bright, round eyes that never displayed anything but the wonder and love he showed the world. He was one of the kindest people Lisa had ever known. Sure, he could become a sassy sometimes and he definitely wasn’t afraid to tell someone off if he thought they were being stupid, but even with all that being apart of his personality Lisa thought he was just sweet. He was Lisa’s best friend forever. At least they were supposed to be before her entire life was thrown out of orbit. 

 

They were still younger this time around, barely even teenagers, when Lisa had found him again. She was out with Teddy buying new clothes because all of hers were starting to not fit. Teddy was saying something about how he didn’t understand the sizes of women’s clothes and how it could be so much simpler and Lisa was trying her best to just tune it out in favor of watching the other shoppers. Bambam was alone, walking into the store and right past Lisa without giving her even the slightest glance. He probably didn’t recognize her, or perhaps he didn’t even think to recognize her since everyone back home assumed she was just as dead as her parents. It didn’t matter, Lisa recognized him and she would talk to her best friend no matter what. 

 

She glanced up at Teddy, not even acknowledging the fact that he’s still talking, when she announced she had to go the bathroom. Teddy stuttered, practically choked on his words as he gave a quick nod and allowed Lisa to dart off after Bambam. 

 

She was looking around almost frantically, but he was nowhere in sight. Lisa’s head was spinning. What if she had just imagined him? What if she was losing her mind, her grip between reality and her subconscious? She wanted to sink to the floor, just melt away and be forgotten. She let out a shaky breath of defeat as she turned to go back towards Teddy, back to her lonely reality. 

 

“Lalisa?” 

 

She whipped around faster than she probably ever has before to see him just standing there. “Bambie.” she muttered, her eyes already b with tears. 

 

“Is it really you?” he asked. 

 

Lisa, at a complete loss for words simply nodded and smiled. Bambam darted to her, wrapping his arms around her. He was taller than she was now, his legs starting to grow long. His arms were also stronger than they used to be and the fact gave Lisa conflicted feelings. She hugged him back though, smiled up at him when they pulled apart, just like she'd imagined doing for years now. “I thought you were dead.” 

 

Lisa shrugged, she knew that already. “I-” she looked down when she found the words caught in . 

 

Bambam was quick to place his hands at her cheeks and gently tilt her head to look back up at him. “It’s okay.” he whispered. 

 

Lisa couldn’t deny how safe she felt in that moment. It was such a powerful feeling that Lisa was compelled to ask if they could see each other again, something Bambam was more than okay with. 

 

Lisa could remember how they would meet near the docks, climb aboard one of the yachts that was hardly ever in use, look over the horizon and watch the sun set. They were peaceful times, not much in Lisa’s life was ever able to rival the pleasant and warm feeling that accompanied those times. In fact, Lisa was certain they were the happiest times of her life. 

 

Now however, everything was different. Lisa had basically no extra time to see him and they certainly hadn’t watched the sunset in years. Lisa wasn’t sure if she’d be able to ever see it with Bambam again. He never said it, he probably never would, but Lisa knew that Bambam could feel how distant they were getting and she knew he didn’t like it. They both knew however, that there wasn’t much they could do to stop it. Maybe after Lisa had finally avenged her parents she would make time for her friend, but for now she had to focus all her energy on finding Daesung and driving a blade deep into his chest. She wanted-no, needed, to see the light drain from that man’s eyes and it had to be by her hand. 

 

She was back in her lonely reality. She knew that but it didn’t matter. This time she would not seek out companionship until she had finished the one thing she truly cared about. Nothing was going to stop her. 

 

Lisa could feel her breath rising and falling in an almost uneven manner as something shook her out of her dream-state. She looked up to see Rosé standing over her. “We have a new lead, we have to go now or we’ll miss our chance.” was all she said before practically disappeared from Lisa’s line of sight. 

 

*** 

 

Jennie had learned the location of where a whole batch of K.D’s prisoners were being held. The information came from some kid who worked for the Golden Dragon and had overheard some very important information. It didn’t take long for Jennie to force it out of him, all she really had to do was press her gun against his skull and swear she’d hunt down anyone and everyone he’d ever really cared about and the boy was more than willing to talk. 

 

He told Jennie that during a private meeting Wu Yifan was discussing where to move the prisoners to. When Jennie had asked what this meant, the id stumbled over his words as he scrambled through all the papers on his desk, pulling out a small notepad and handing it over to her. On the yellow paper the letters K.D, the number 6, a license plate number and an address were written down. Jennie looked quizzically at the sniffling boy an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter