Chapter Fourteen

Edge of Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Chanyeol’s whole body is burning in pain, but not from any wound inflicted on him, but instead the mere sight of the man in front of him driving nails into Rosé’s arm as she howls for him to stop. The man had no emotion in his eyes as he continued with slowly twisting and ripping the nails from her skin. Chanyeol had seen men like that before, experienced them first hand, and even still he'd never felt this close to the edge of breaking before. If he had the answers he was certain he'd have given them up already if only to keep Rosé from all this pain. 

 

At some point later, Chanyeol had lost his concept of time the moment he woke up in this windowless prison, Rosé had finally passed out from all the pain being inflicted on her. Chanyeol had hoped it was over, that they would let her go now, but he felt himself sinking as the man simply moved to his tray of torture devices to grasp a syringe. Chanyeol struggled against his chains, though the movement was weak from whatever drug they pumped into after he knocked over the torture-tray and grabbed a scalpel that he was quick to use against one of his captors.  

 

The man injected what Chanyeol assumed to be adrenaline into Rosé and within seconds she awoke with shallow and harsh breaths. The man was moving to pick something new to tear at Rosé’s flesh with, but he was interrupted by the sight of Yifan suddenly chiming in. The latter was smiling at Chanyeol and Rosé as he walked around them, clearly pleased with the result of his orders.

 

"Does it hurt yet, Rosé?” he questions, pressing his fingers into a decently sized gash that ran along the back of her left shoulder.

 

She groaned at the sting, but the moment Yifan let go she simply growled, causing the man to chuckle at her spirit.

 

"What about you?” he turned his attention to Chanyeol. “Are you enjoying the show?”

 

Chanyeol lets out a fierce snarl as he makes a weak attempt to move towards Yifan. The latter lets out a loud, pleased and genuine laugh as he looks at the two once more. Chanyeol threatens to kill him once more, but he’s ignored as Yifan looks at the silent Rosé. He walks over to her leans down to make eye contact, but she’s quick to look away.

 

"What are you doing? Plotting my death?”

 

When Rosé remains silent, Yifan grips her hair and harshly tugs so she has to look him in the eye. He gazes at her for a moment and she remains silent and Yifan suddenly is smiling so widely that it’s the most terrifying thing she’d seen since she’d been here. He chuckles, somewhat maniacally as he looks at Rosé again, almost in disbelief as he chuckles.

 

"Oh my god, you’ve never killed someone before.” he scoffs. “I can’t believe you’ve lasted in this world as long as you have.” Yifan approaches her again, looking into her eyes once more.

 

"Get away from her!” Chanyeol snarls.

 

Yifan looks back the man still chained to the ground and growls at how he’s interrupting his moment with Rosé. Yifan practically storms the few feet from Rosé to Chanyeol as he sends a knee flying up into Chanyeol’s face, knocking him onto his back. As Chanyeol groans at the blood rushing from his nose and upper lip, Yifan turns his attention back to Rosé.

 

"Listen to me carefully,” he says, “I’m willing to make a deal with you, to let you out of here. You and the traitor. You just have to be willing to sacrifice a piece of yourself and you’ll be free.”

 

Rosé feels herself twitch with desire to take whatever deal he may offer, but almost all of her is screaming to stay away from the devil before she falls onto an equally as evil path as him.

 

The words burn her tongue when she speaks them, like a filthy venom being released against everything she stands for. “What’s your offer?”

 

"Don’t…” Chanyeol mutters from his place on the ground. “Don’t do it…”

 

Yifan gives him a sideways glare as he moves completely into Rosé’s view, blocking everything but himself out.

 

"I want you to kill for me.”

 

She scoffs, shaking her head. “Never. Torture me for as long as you want, I’ll never take a life. Especially not for you.”

 

"All you have to do is give up whatever it is you hold onto that keeps you from killing and then you can have your freedom, I swear it.” Yifan pauses a moment, pulling a gun from his waist and instantly shooting the man who had been torturing Rosé in both legs. “It has to be you who kills him. If Chanyeol interferes the price will be fierce.”

 

Yifan tosses his gun on the ground next to Rosé as he undoes her restraints, a sick smile plastered onto his lips. He leans down to be close to Rosé again, whispering for her to consider it before he walks away from the scene again.

 

As soon as he’s gone Chanyeol will lunge towards the man and begin choking him with the very chains that keep Chanyeol in place. Rosé watches in fear and panic, tears already rushing down her cheeks. The man breaks free of Chanyeol’s hold and instantly pulls a gun from where it’s holstered around his ankle. He aims the weapon at Chanyeol and in a split second decision that feels almost out of body she’s got her hands on the gun Yifan left and the sound of three shots being fired can be heard.

 

Chanyeol watches the man in front of him fall, half his skull obliterated by the bullet fired by Rosé. He looks down at his arm, thankful he was only merely grazed, but when he looks back up at Rosé he feels himself sink.

 

She drops to her knees, crying heavily, but Chanyeol is more concerned with the amount of blood pouring from the newly acquired wound in her abdomen. He struggles against his restraints for a moment, but before he can really get angry enough to start ripping away at the chains, his feels the cuffs around his throat and wrist click open. He is lightning fast in sheding the metal and darting to Rosé’s side, grasping onto her body before she call fall.

 

She gasping for air, her breaths shallow and clearly not easy to get out as she looks up at Chanyeol. “Did I- was it me? Is he dead?” she’s whimpering and stuttering between her words and Chanyeol tries to shush her as he gently pets her hair. “Chanyeol…” she whimpers. “I killed him didn’t I? I-I killed s-someone, I promised I-”

 

"Don’t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter