Chapter Six

Edge of Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jennie has had hundreds, maybe even thousands of nightmares about Minji. Her memory floated inside her mind every day without fail, sometimes pleasant other times painful. Jennie refused to forget about her, she couldn’t let her memory die after what happened. It would be a lie to say she didn’t regret leaving her house that night; she could’ve taken whatever beating her father would’ve given her, she had done it before, but instead she was selfish and it cost her her only friend’s death. 

 

Jennie, in whatever spare time she had, would sit alone in silence, her eyes closed as she thought of what could have been. She had thought that maybe Minji meant her last words in the way Jennie had hoped she meant them. She would picture their life together if her father hadn’t found them that night; Minji would’ve told her that night at the station that she loved her as more than a friend while Jennie was in her arms. Jennie would have looked into her eyes, a mixture of shock, fear, excitement all pooling there. Minji would have looked down at her, that one expression she always showed Jennie, the loving and kind one on her face as she smiled. Jennie would’ve stuttered a response and Minji would let out that sweet laugh of hers as she placed a warm hand against Jennie’s face. Then, they would kiss. It would have been short, but still sweet and it would have filled Jennie with all that hope she thought she had lost. She wouldn’t have ever looked back at her old life, only looking forward at her future with Minji. 

 

When Jennie would open her eyes she would see where she was and the somewhat peaceful feeling that accompanied her unrealistic dreams of Minji would crash down around her. She felt shattered in every sense of the word. Her mind, heart and spirit would all break down after being only partially rebuilt and the pain in her chest would twist just the slightest bit tighter. 

 

One day Jennie was certain it would become just tight enough that it would destroy her soul. However, until that day came Jennie would allow herself to be lost in a happy moment even if it would cause her more pain in the future. 

 

Jennie was just so alone that these little escapes were all she had. There was no one left in her life and vengeance was the only thing that kept her alive. It was hardly anything to hold onto and sometimes Jennie just felt too weak to keep herself up, especially in moments like these where she had nothing to go off of. The Dragon led her to K.D, but he was good at hiding, too good for Jennie to find. It seemed like there wasn’t a single person in all of Korea who knew where he was or even what his real name was. She hunted down every lead she could get her hands on, but every time it proved to be just another dead end. It was difficult to have nothing, more than Jennie could ever describe. She was like a rock, being ruthlessly pounded by waves for millions of years, breaking away at her everything until she was nothing more than a few grains sand to be washed away. 

 

Jennie was simply alone and she hated it. 

 

There was something about the place she lived in that almost amplified her loneliness. It was listed as an apartment and that’s what she called it most of the time since the word “house” reminded her too much of the word “home” and that brought on pain. The apartment however, seemed large for an apartment, it was spacious, but mostly empty since Jennie had no use for furniture or belongings. Maybe it was just that general emptiness that gave Jennie these strange, unidentifiable feelings about her apartment, or perhaps she missed the idea of having a home more than she would’ve ever cared to admit, but either way the more she thought about it, the more the building seemed to just capitalize on her sadness. 

 

Jennie shook her head of all these feelings and thoughts she did not want to deal with and turned back to her computer. The story of Kim Junmyeon appeared on her television this morning, the CEO of EXO Consolidated was under fire for even more connections with the CEO of Dragon’s Technologies. That's when it clicked. 

 

The lead wasn’t much of a lead at all so much as it was basically just a hunch that Jennie hoped rang true. Wu Yifan, known in the criminal world as the Golden Dragon, the largest, most elite and worldwide arms dealer on this side of the globe; from what Jennie has learned, all the major league gang leaders, bounty hunters and rich business men go to him to procure weaponry when they need it. He was responsible for giving a few of the men Jennie has killed their weapons, even still she never marked his name on her list. 

 

That was of course until now. Now, Kim Junmyeon, a greedy little man who Jennie knows has ruined plenty of people’s lives to forward his own agenda is in league with this arms dealer. They showed some leaked photos on the news of Junmyeon walking beside a slightly taller man and Wu Yifan. There’s a few hundred crates all around them, supposedly filled with Yifan’s weapons. Junmyeon has publically denied all claims and Yofan is still in the wind since his office was attacked. 

 

There's wasn't much to go on, but Jennie recognized the symbols spray painted on the wall behind the three men; it looked like two mirrored lightning bolts or maybe it was a letter, Jennie was certain, she knew she’d seen it hundreds of times before. It’s the logo that many of the men Jennie has recently hunted down have been wearing, either painted on their clothes, worn on chains around their neck or tattooed on flesh. In all cases, they were all connected, they all worked for K.D., but none of them knew where he was. Jennie, again going off her suspicion, assumed it was K.D in the photo with Yifan and Junmyeon and that meant she had two new suspects to follow up on. 

 

She was one step closer to finding and killing K.D and Jennie couldn’t help but smile as the need for vengeance inside her once again began to stir. 

 

***

 

The inside of Jisoo’s apartment was not what Rosé or Lisa expected. It was large and really nice, a beautiful and grand overlook of the city from the floor to ceiling wall across from the door. There was large, sophisticated and frankly cool looking bunch of fancy computers set up in the middle of the window display, in front of the only closed curtain. She had a large black and fuzzy couch that Lisa almost immediately darted to, that sat in front of a fairly large fireplace. She had a giant flat screen television above the fireplace mounted to the brick wall, but it was dusty as if she hadn’t used it in a while. Lisa would definitely change that while she was here. 

 

Jisoo smiled warmly at her place as she set her bag down by the door. “This is where I live. What you see is pretty much what you get, up those stairs is the bed I don’t really sleep in and the best shower ever. Other than that, I don’t really have much. There’s not a lot of food in the fridge because I mostly order in and that’s just because-” Jisoo cut herself off once she noticed how uninterested Lisa and Rosé seemed to be. “You guys don’t care why. All business with assassins I guess…” 

 

“I’m not an assassin.” Rosé immediately corrected. 

 

“Whatever.” Jisoo replied, no real bitterness behind her words as she took a seat in front of her computers. “How do I know you really have the drive?” 

 

“You don’t. You’re gonna have to trust us.” Lisa said, from her place on Jisoo’s couch as she stared mindlessly at the ceiling. 

 

Jisoo let out a sigh as she tried to remain positive about these two. Soon, she thought to herself, soon they’ll open up. They have to trust me at some point. 

 

“If we were to give you acce

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter