Chapter Two

Edge of Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Rosé couldn’t have told anyone when Lisa moved into the loft, but it didn’t take long before the younger’s duffle bag was inside Rosé’s living room and Lisa felt it was perfectly normal for her to continuously be eating Rosé’s food. They’d known each other for a little less than a month now and ever since Rosé showed Lisa that flashdrive Lisa was entirely motivated and even a little excited about their hunt. 

 

Rosé exited her bedroom, still exhausted from yet another night of hardly any sleep to see Lisa eating cereal and watching the latest news. “Hey Rosé, check this out.” she called, as Rosé semi-automatically moved towards the coffee maker. 

 

Rosé turned to look at Lisa when she called her name, almost glaring at her for having her feet once again on the coffee table, but was too tired to care. So instead, she settled for plopping down next to Lisa on the couch, the younger immediately making room for Rosé, taking her feet off the couch and crossing her legs underneath her as she gestured to the television with her cereal bowl. Rosé thought the action was cute, almost childlike. 

 

“The Huntress killed again.” Lisa said, with far too much excitement than what Rosé considered a normal response to such news. 

 

“Crazy . Who was it this time?” 

 

“Cho Kyuhyun.” Lisa replied with even more excitement in her voice than before. 

 

Rosé hummed at the unfamiliar name and looked over at the ever-bubbly Lisa. “Doesn’t ring a bell does it?” she questioned. “It didn’t to me at first either so…” Lisa placed her bowl on the coffee table and darted over the the red laptop on the kitchen counter. “I did some digging.” 

 

“You didn’t use the Dark List did you?” Rosé growled. 

 

“Of course not, I’m not stupid. Besides, there are other all knowing sources that won’t lead to certain death; it’s called the internet.” Lisa typed into the computer and practically ran back over to Rosé. “Check, this, out!” Lisa squealed. “Kyuhyun was the head researcher for guess what company.” 

 

Rosé rolled her eyes at how Lisa continued bouncing up and down with far too much excitement. “I’m not guessing.” Rosé replied after a moment of Lisa’s silent bouncing. 

 

“Doesn’t matter I was gonna tell you anyway.” Lisa replied, typing into the laptop and turning the screen to face Rosé. “EXO Consolidated.” 

 

“EXO Consolidated?” Rosé looked at the familiar logo of the company on the computer. “Didn’t they just get robbed a couple weeks back?” 

 

“Yeah, second time in the past six months if you can believe it. They should really up their security...” Lisa said, looking back at the picture of the giant building. 

 

“You’d better hope they don’t because we’re going in. Two robberies in six months and now the Huntress is targeting their employees? They’re hiding something and we’re gonna find it.” 

 

Lisa screeches in excitement and immediately gets up to go change out of her pajamas. 

 

***

 

Memories of Jennie’s past replayed in her mind as she walked home, something they often did when was alone like this. 

 

She’s nineteen, helping her mother clean their house. Her mother turns to face her, she has some news she wants to share, she’s smiling that sweet smile of hers Jennie hadn't seen until after the death of her father. There were three loud bangs and a too close sound of broken glass that makes Jennie drop her broom in fear. Her mother opens but but her voice goes silent before she even has a chance to speak. Her mother’s face contorts into one of question, maybe pain too and Jennie looks at her with a mixture of fear and confusion. The woman lets out a breath and drops to the ground, her head slamming into the kitchen table as she falls. Jennie’s eyes blinked at all the blood that was suddenly surrounding her mother as she rushed to her side, whimpering for her mother. Her tear clouded eyes look up at the window above the sink to see a small hole letting in a steady stream of extra sunlight. 

 

Jennie had found out later that night that there was another shooting in the neighborhood, some drunk man shooting at some kids. His poor aim had cost Jennie her happiness by putting her mother into a coma. The doctors told her it was because of her fall and hitting the table more than it was the gunshot wound that put her there, something about swelling and more bleeding, but Jennie couldn’t listen through her rage. The drunkard who nearly killed her mother would have been the third man to die at Jennie’s hands, but supposedly his guilt made him take a gun to his own head. 

 

Either way, he was dead and that was what really mattered to Jennie, but even with that in mind she couldn’t shake the rage, anger and need for vengeance. She was already sick of people hurting her family, hurting innocent people and this was her breaking point. It was clear that the police and conventional ways of keeping people safe were no longer working and Jennie was needed. So, she hunted down her first kill just a month after her mother was hospitalized and suspected to never wake again. 

 

When Jennie recalled the start of her profession, it was some old man who had a nasty of habit of kidnapping children and doing all kinds of horrible things to them before he would release them once again without their tongues. He lived so close to all the victims, even kept the tongues in a meat freezer in his garage, it was a wonder how he slipped through the cracks, but Jennie took care of him. 

 

It made her feel strong and powerful, like a hero and it almost eased some of the pain she felt deep insider her bones. So she continued, stalking and killing a new victim once every three to six months. She began leaving for every victim a detailed report complete with proof of the crimes her victims committed after her second official hunted kill when she noticed all the people crying for the man on the news. He was a serial and didn’t deserve tears from anyone so Jennie made sure no one would want to cry for another one of her kills again. 

 

She was keeping the streets safe, many people knew that. 

 

The call came to Jennie’s phone just after she had returned home. She wasn’t certain how they got her number, but the fact of the matter was they did which meant this was serious. Jennie hadn’t felt fear like this in years, not since she lived with her father. She ran out of her apartment, trying her best to keep her composure, but the knot at the bottom of her stomach just seemed to be getting worse and worse by the second and it was slowly killing her. 

 

The phone call was on repeat inside her mind, every word, every breath noted and memorized. 

 

“Hello?” she said, her voice full naturally feigned innocence. 

 

“Hello Jennie. Or should I call you Huntress?” came the angry sounding, distorted voice. 

 

“Who are you? How did you get this number?” she growled, all that fake innocence replaced with a fierce and threatening tone. 

 

“You don’t really know the people you’ve murdered.” the voice said. 

 

“I know they

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter