Chapter Twelve

Edge of Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I’m sending over a file now. You should get it by the time we hang up.” Jisoo says. 

“Great. Thanks for the lead.” Rosé replies. 

“We’ll update you on what we find out.” Chanyeol adds from his place on the other side of the room. 

Without further word Rosé hangs up the phone and sure enough, her laptop dings with the notification of a new file from Jisoo. Chanyeol makes his way from the couch towards Rosé to see what the file says and he’s almost awestruck by the words on the screen as Rosé scrolls through them. She’s almost going to fast, but Chanyeol knows what he sees and it’s enough to through him off his balance a little bit. 

Chanyeol pulls himself away from the laptop and begins pacing across the room, his eyebrows knitted together in thought. Rosé watches him for a few moments, then goes back to reading the rest of what Jisoo sent them. It’s when she looks up again a couple minutes later that she sees Chanyeol is still pacing and she can’t help but wonder what happened to him. 

“Are you broken?” she questions, her voice sounding a little more snappy than she originally intended. 

Chanyeol looks over at her, but is quick to continue with whatever it is he’s doing. 

“I didn’t mean it like that. I just meant, you’re being weird and it’s creeping me out.” 

Chanyeol lets out a deep sigh and looks Rosé in the eyes. “I can’t think of a way into the conference. I can always think of a way in, but now-” his voice involuntarily cuts off as he continues to pace. 

Rosé smiles, nearly even laughs even. That was supposed to be the easy part. 

“I’m sorry, you do know who you’re with right?” she asks, her tone only partially joking. 

Chanyeol nods, albeit his expression definitely displaying more than just a bit of confusion, and Rosé stands up, her sweetest smile gracing her lips. She walks gracefully over to Chanyeol, gently rubbing her hands over his shoulders as she moves behind him. His whole body tenses and he doesn’t move, he doesn’t even seem to breathe as Rosé continues letting her fingers gently dancing across the exposed skin of his arms, leaving a fierce burn in their path. 

Suddenly, she’s standing in front of him again and Chanyeol feels starstruck once more, leaving him to do nothing but stare at the godlike creature in front of him. She tilts her head, her fingers playing with the hem of her skirt as she steps a little closer to Chanyeol again. She leans up and whispers into his ear, her breath fanning across his ear and the warmth of it causing Chanyeol’s own breath to hitch in his throat. He forces himself to remain calm and to remain still as he waits for her to speak. 

“Do you want me?” 

Chanyeol feels his blood run cold, but it’s boiling inside him at the same time and he’s almost certain he won’t be able to handle it. He finds the strength somewhere inside him to step away though and Rosé can only scoff in response. It’s not like anyone had really done that before and Rosé wasn’t really expecting it. 

“You’re all sweaty, that means I win.” she comments, stepping back away from Chanyeol, her attitude definitely back to at the very least normal levels. 

“But I still said no, so maybe your plan has some holes.” Chanyeol replies, looking away from Rosé, definitely not able to look at her after that. 

She scoffs yet again and Chanyeol feels a tap on his shoulder. He opens his mouth to retort whatever she might say in advance, but she’s punching him in the mouth before he gets the chance. Then, within the next few seconds before Chanyeol really knows what hit him, he’s on his stomach, Rosé has his arm twisted behind him in a position to easily break the bone and her boot is pressed to the nape of his neck and pinning him down. 

“It’s called a distraction.” she says, her voice filled with pride. 

Chanyeol chuckles, but immediately follows up with a groan when Rosé pushes a bit on his arm. 

“You know…” Chanyeol lets his voice trail off as he uses his free arm to grip at Rosé’s leg and tug so she falls onto her back. Chanyeol only speaks again once he’s got her hands pinned above her hand and the weight of his body on top of hers is holding the rest of her down. “You’re not the only one who can fight.” he finishes. 

“Fine.” she growls after she finds she can’t free her hands. “But it won’t come to fighting. I’ll get Jisoo to send us passes or something.” 

“As what?” 

“Rich, young, beautiful heiress and… her butler?” 

Chanyeol gives her look, still pinning her body down as he lifts an eyebrow. After a few seconds Rosé scoffs and rolls her eyes, the urge to laugh becoming harder to resist as sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter