Chapter One

Edge of Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Rosé uncovered plenty of promising leads these past six months, but none of them were as promising as this one. She learned Daesung’s name not long after he kidnapped Jimin, his men were more than willing to talk to a pretty girl who seemed innocent enough and the ones who refused seemed to bend the knee when Rosé decided the use of a gun would be appropriate. That was how she got her current lead, a revolver to a man’s head with only bullet inside the cylinder. It took only three pulls of the trigger before he was reduced to tears and literally begged for Rosé to stop. In exchange for allowing him to leave, Rosé forced him to tell her the name of a company that supposedly had direct ties to Daesung’s ever growing underground business. 

 

This man was good at hiding in the shadows and equally good at hiding his tracks, but there were whispers on the street of a very special company that was key to Daesung’s success. This company was called Dragon’s Technologies and Research owned by one Wu Yifan, a chinese businessman operating in Korea. Rosé, after using the Dark List, learned that this Yifan also sold weapons on the side to hundreds of different criminal organizations all over Asia. It wasn’t hard to connect the dots that Yifan was more than likely the supplier of Daesung’s weaponry and therefore he was certain to have contact with the man or one of his higher level friends. Either way, Rosé would be able to find him. 

 

Rosé had been monitoring the man from a distance as soon as she learned his name, watching him for weeks until she had developed a rough sense of his daily schedule. This Thursday was her opening as Yifan always worked late Thursday evenings and only one security guard had patrol duty on this upcoming Thursday. The opportunity was perfect. 

 

Rosé snuck in during the day, wearing her standard intern outfit, seamlessly slipping into a restricted area by “accidentally” spilling her coffee all over her outfit and then requesting to use the bathroom in the hall just beyond the locked doors. The guard at first seemed to hesitate, but Rosé’s smile persuaded him to nod and buzz her in. 

 

She went into the bathroom immediately pulling a new, tight black dress and a pair of glasses from her bag the moment the door was shut. Rosé changed quicker than she ever had before, silently praising herself on the improvement as she stepped from a stall to watch herself in the mirror as she pulled off the short black wig, throwing the thing into the trashcan along with her ruined skirt and shirt. She was quick to pin up her light strawberry blonde hair into a professional, but still easily undone, bun before anyone entered the bathroom. 

 

She put on some of the signature soft pink lipstick she often wore and straightened out her dress. She smiled at the woman who was entering the bathroom as she left, grabbing the woman’s I.D card as they passed each other. Rosé checked the card as quickly as she could, making sure it was the right one before inconspicuously slipping the thing into her pocket. Rosé proceeded down the hall towards the room that was labeled on the card, looking as though she certainly had business there. She smiled sweetly at a man who passed her as she unlocked the room with the card and stepped inside. 

 

The light was off and everything in the office seemed in order which meant the employee log Rosé found on the Dark List was indeed correct and the woman she stole the card from was in fact headed home for the day. Rosé sat at her desk and waited for about an hour until sunset had begun and the last of the workers on this floor said their goodbyes to their boss and left for the elevator. 

 

If Rosé’s timing was correct she’d have about fifteen more minutes before the janitors would make their way here. Rosé was careful to wipe away any sign of her presence in the office as she exited it quietly. She could see Yifan in his office just across the maze of cubicles in front of her. His curtains were drawn down just enough that she couldn’t see his face, but she could see two pairs of feet, one standing next to a desk and the other clearly sitting at the desk. Rosé took a deep breath as she realized it was probably Yifan’s bodyguard, a new addition to his Thursday nights. 

 

Nevertheless, she snuck across the room to stand as close to his office as she could without being detected. Yifan was on the phone and Rosé mouthed her thanks to whoever installed the thin glass that separated her from Yifan. “Why isn’t the threat dealt with? What do you mean you can’t find her?” Yifan growled to whoever he was speaking to. 

 

Rosé bit her lip, fearing Yifan knew she’d be coming somehow. Rosé started to internally panic, he wasn’t supposed to know, in fact there was no way he could’ve known. She shook her head, trying to reassure herself that there was indeed no way anyone could have possibly known Rosé would try something to tonight, but still fear began to take residence inside her. 

 

“Of course I took extra precautions tonight, I have my best men patrolling the perimeter and I have the one you suggested with me. If that shows her face tonight there’s no way she’ll be leaving alive.” 

 

Damnit. Rosé thought to herself as she considered how she was getting herself out of this situation now. If these people knew she was coming, they probably knew her exit strategy too and that was something Rosé wasn’t sure she wanted to gamble. “Yes, the exit is secured.” 

 

Well great. Rosé nearly growled out loud as Yifan all but outright confirmed that Rosé was trapped. 

 

Just then, the door to Yifan’s office was being opened and before she had time to react Rosé was spotted. She made an attempt to get up and run away, but couldn’t before the tall man in the dark suit was lifting her to her feet and dragging her inside his office. 

 

“So you’re the little girl who’s been making a lot of trouble for my business.” Yifan said as his bodyguard forced handcuffs on Rosé’s wrists. 

 

“I have done a damn good job of not disrupting anything.” 

 

Yifan laughed loudly. “Please, you’ve killed many of my men during many crucial business deals. I just hope you killed the man who gave you my name as well.” 

 

Rosé looked at him quizzically. “I haven’t killed anyone.” 

 

“There’s no use in lying to me darling, I know everything. Except your name, but I’m certain we’ll get that from you soon enough.” 

 

Rosé glared at the man, biting her tongue to keep from saying anything rash. He smirked as he reached into his desk and pulled a fairly large knife from a really nice looking wooden box. “Which fingers do you want the least?” he questioned, reaching across the desk to hand his bodyguard the knife. 

 

Suddenly, before anything else could transpire the floor to ceiling window next to them was being shattered and a somewhat small figure burst inside. It was a girl, that much Rosé could tell and she immediately went after the bodyguard. Seconds later he was lying on the ground blood leaking from his throat. 

 

Rosé blinked a few times just to make sure everything that was happening was real. Yifan hit a button on his office phone as the girl turned his attention to him. She seemed to smile, like she had finally won, but Yifan ran towards the hole in his window, leaping outside. The girl screamed for him to stop, but once she could see outside she scoffed. Rosé watched the outside as Yifan climbed up a ladder towards a fairly large helicopter. “Great, now I have to hunt his down again.” she said. 

 

“Who the hell are you?” Rosé questioned, standing up. 

 

The girl looked at her with her own quizzical look, raising her eyebrows. “You want some help?” she gestured to Rosé’s handcuffs as she spoke. 

 

Rosé looked down, she totally forgot the handcuffs were still on. Rosé turned around and within the next few seconds she turned back around and shook the handcuffs from her body. “I’m good. Now answer the question.” 

 

“Why?” she replied, almost sounding bored. 

 

Rosé opened to speak, but she saw a man with a gun coming from the hallway towards her and this mysterious girl. She yelled for her to duck and when she didn’t listen, Rosé pushed her to the ground behind some of the cubicles, just as the man had fired a couple of shots. The girl made a move to get up, fight the man, but Rosé held her down. The girl gave her a questioning look and Rosé held a finger over her lips to keep her quiet as she smiled. 

 

Then, Rosé crawled aro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter