Prologue Part One

Edge of Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lisa had been with Nonagon for most of her life. She dedicated herself to them in a way not many would or even could. Sure, some of that willingness may have been because Teddy was the one who saved her from the man who kidnapped her all those years ago and Lisa was grateful enough that when he asked if she wanted to remain with him or be sent off to some sort of orphanage, Lisa chose to remain with the gang leader. It was Teddy who took her out to buy clothes, who fed her her favorite meals and trained her night and day until she was strong enough, smart enough and skilled enough to become Nonagon’s official assassin at age fifteen. It may have seemed like a big leap and a stupid one on Teddy’s account, but he had trained Lisa to take down up to six trained and armed men at once and that, the other members couldn’t argue. Lisa gave up everything for them.

 

Now however, she was being betrayed. It was her 18th birthday and Teddy wanted to give her something special. The paper Lisa held in her hands was light and seemed delicate, like she wasn’t holding onto anything really or if she grasped the paper any harder in her hands it would crumble to dust. The words were written in a thick blank ink that Lisa wished she had seen years and years ago. Kang Daesung, responsible for Lee Seung-hyun. All actions taken on the night of April 22nd, 2006 were deliberate and under order.

 

"Lee Seung-hyun.” Lisa said. “That’s the real name of the man who kidnapped me after killing my parents.”

 

Teddy nodded from behind his desk. Lisa set the paper down gently, still fearful she’d destroy it if she wasn’t careful. She turned away from him, unable to look him in the eyes. “You understand this paper confirms he wasn’t working alone. It says he was under order.” she says. 

 

"And he was.”

 

"And you never told me.” Lisa growls angrily.

 

"Don’t you dare raise your tone at me Lalisa. I’m giving you a gift.”

 

"That you should have given me years ago!” Lisa outright yells, whipping around to face him.

 

Teddy stands up, slamming his hands on his desk, causing everything to move ever so slightly from it's original place. Lisa stands her ground with the man, looking him straight in the eye. He leaned his hands on the desk, peering over it so his face was a mere few inches from Lisa, his breath fanning over her lightly. There was a rage to his eyes that Lisa had seen plenty of times before, once even feared, but today, now, she had a rage of her own and she would use that fire inside her to burn up everyone who dared to stand in her path of vengeance. “The man who ordered it, was he working for you?” Lisa questioned.

 

"No. He acted alone. He’s building his own empire in attempts to topple mine. I will not let that happen.”

 

"So you're going to send me after him.”

 

"Absolutely not.”

 

"Why not? I-”

 

"Have too many emotions and connections to this. You can’t handle it.”

 

"I can. I'm the-"

 

"We won't discuss this further."

 

"Then I quit.” Lisa says affirmatively.

 

Teddy scoffs and sits back down in his chair, crossing his fingers together as he leans his elbows on the desk. “I quit. If you don’t let me do this, I’m leaving Nonagon and I will hunt him and kill him on my own.”

 

Teddy looks down, seemingly tossing Lisa’s words around in his head. He looks back up at her quizzically, searching for any form of hesitation in Lisa’s body language. There was nothing, not a single shred of doubt to hint she was bluffing in some way. “You know the decision isn’t completely up to you.” he says, still watching for a reaction. 

 

"I know. I’m willing to go through trail.”

 

"And Lalisa, Daesung is Nonagon’s responsibility. The moment you step away from our circle is the moment you lose our protection.”

 

"I don’t need your protection. I can handle myself and I will kill this man. No one will stand in my way.”

 

"We won’t show you mercy once you’ve left. If you and anyone of the other members happen to cross paths on your search-”

 

"I won’t show you any mercy either.” she interrupts before Teddy has a chance to threaten her. 

 

Teddy raised a brow at how sure of herself Lisa was. He shrugged and stood up, standing proud and tall. “Very well then. I suggest you get some rest, your trial begins at sundown. Be ready when we call Lisa.”

 

Lisa nodded her head in affirmation. She was ready.

 

~

 

It was only a couple of hours until sundown, so Lisa decided her time would be best spent in the training hall, where she practiced every move she knew, perfecting perfection. When the time for her trail rolled around she was already sweaty and her muscles were somewhat achy, but she was far from tired, her adrenaline still racing through her blood, her mind and heart wired and ready to take on whatever would come next.

 

It was Taeyang who had come to get her, telling her that the decision was difficult for the other members to all come to terms with, but now that they have there won’t be any chance of negotiation. “Do you know who I’ll have to fight?” Lisa asked, knowing that even if he did he probably wouldn’t tell her.

 

"I do. That’s how I know you’re not going to like it.”

 

Lisa nodded and continued to walk beside Taeyang as confidently as she possibly could. Sure, there was a slight amount of fear and nervousness rushing inside her veins, just as natural as there was blood. However, it was all outweighed by the lava churning inside her bones. She felt ablaze with power and energy, she thought this feeling was akin to that of a lightning bolt; all explosive energy with nowhere to put it but out.

 

Lisa’s hands balled into fists at her side as they entered the ground floor of the warehouse in which they all lived. The other members of Nonagon stood gathered around, soft chatter being exchanged amongst them; as soon as their gazes land on Taeyang and Lisa however, the room falls silent save for the sound of Lisa’s boots on the ground.

 

Lisa stopped in front of them keeping her courage and confidence up as high as was humanly possible in this situation, while Taeyang moved to stand behind Teddy and Hanbin. Lisa’s eyes fell upon Bobby, who was standing just next to Hanbin with his eyes down, for only a second she wondered who Teddy would’ve forced her to fight in order to earn her freedom. Lisa didn’t allow her gaze to stay on anyone’s form for longer than a couple of seconds as she scanned the room, looking for any signs of someone who was prepared to try and kill her.

 

The task wasn’t as easy as it normally was for Lisa, as everyone in this room was trained to always be ready to kill someone if needed and they weren’t afraid to make eye contact with their victim, even if it was a friend. Lisa’s eyes flickered back to Bobby; his gaze was still cast to the ground as though he were unprepared or maybe even afraid of what was to come next. He was just a kid, same as Lisa, but not even close to as dangerous; surely Teddy would’ve given her a more worthy adversary for this occasion. It was important to him after all and he wouldn’t let the moment end so quick as to pair Bobby with Lisa.

 

Lisa her lips in an almost cautious manner as her eyes finally met with the leader himself. “Well?” she said, her voice not faltering even the slightest bit.

 

"Lalisa, do you still wish to earn your freedom from Nonagon? Even after we’ve given you a home and a family?” Teddy asked, as though he were some sort of lawyer and Lisa was on his stand. Lisa supposed this was why they called it a trial.

 

"My family was murdered and I will seek justice.”

 

"Even at this expense? You understand there will be no coming back from this.”

 

Lisa nodded. “I understand and I’m ready.”

 

Teddy nodded in understanding and proceeded to remove his suit jacket and roll up his sleeves. “Very well.”

 

"Lalisa,” Taeyang spoke up as Teddy folded his jacket and carefully set it down on top of a chair. “As you know, the price to earn your freedom is you must face one of the most skilled fighters in Nonagon; tonight your opponent will be Teddy Park, leader. If you win, you gain your freedom, if you lose,” Taeyang seemed to hesitate for a split second, barely noticeable to anyone not paying rapt attention. “You will be sentenced to death.”

 

Lisa inhaled deeply, readying herself to fight the very man who taught her nearly everything she knows. She eyed him intensely as he circled her in a somewhat investigative manner, Lisa following the movement. She knew the tactic was an attempt to throw her off, make her nervous, weaker, distracted, but Lisa was ready. She had been her entire life and she didn’t even know it.

 

Teddy charged her in that second.

 

Lisa was nearly knocked down at the force of the larger man slamming his fist down towards Lisa’s face. It felt like an understatement to describe their movements to be quick as lightning, with all the force of a rageful tiger packed into every kick and punch the two tossed each other’s way, as they desperately tried to wound each other.

 

Their fight carried on, even after blood from both of them was spilling onto the cement and ribs were surely broken and it didn’t end until Teddy had underestimated Lisa’s quickness in her movements. It was a kick to his flank that had him hunched over and then a heel to his face that sent him to the ground. Within seconds, before he even had a chance to think, Lisa was on top of him, sending her fists flying down onto his skin, over and over, not stopping even when his eyes threatened to remain closed or when she felt the sharp crack of a bone, Lisa’s rage and anger took a hold of her until Taeyang and Bobby ripped her away from him.

 

She was still screaming and tears were streaming down her face, mixing with her blood and sweat as Taeyang looked into her eyes and encouraged her to come back down to earth. She took many heavy and deep breaths as she looked down at Teddy’s broken looking body as he groaned attempting to stand, but ultimately failing. Lisa’s still glossy eyes met with Taeyang’s once again. There was something within them akin to worry or maybe even regret that made Lisa quickly look away and wipe at blood stained tears rolling down her cheeks.

 

~

 

She wasn’t going to bother much with goodbyes after she finished packing up a duffel bag worth of things however, Taeyang had stopped by her room before she had the chance to slip out quietly. “You were going to just leave without a word?” he asked.

 

"What more is there to say?” Lisa questioned.

 

"Teddy is fine. A couple broken ribs, some bruises here and there and his face is swollen to all hell, he might even have a little scar to remember you by.”

 

"He trained me. I don’t know what he expected from me.”

 

Taeyang shrugged, trying to meet Lisa’s eyes, but she made sure to avoid them. Taeyang sighed at the younger’s actions and rolled his eyes as he grabbed Lisa’s free hand. “Here.” he said, placing a bottle of pills into her palm.

 

Lisa looked at the bottle of painkillers then back up at Taeyang quizzically. He smiled and began answering her question before she even had a chance to ask it. “For the broken bones and such. You might have enough adrenaline to face it now, but trust me by tomorrow you’ll feel like you were hit by a damn train. Don’t think you beat Teddy up without getting a little something back.”

 

"Trust me, I can feel it now. Thanks.” Lisa gave a somewhat awkward half smile as she tried to push past Taeyang, who pushed his hand against the doorway to keep her inside her room.

 

Lisa raised an eyebrow, but upon the suddenly serious expression Taeyang wore, she gave a quick and deadly glare. “Get out of my way. I earned my freedom you can’t keep me here.” she growled.

 

Taeyang looked down at her with one of those are-you-serious- faces and Lisa suddenly couldn’t tell if she was upset that he wouldn’t move or if she was entirely confused by the ocean of intent behind his eyes. “If you go to Warehouse Six, the room labeled 17, the combination is 5-4-3-7, inside the second file cabinet, two drawers down is a file that has information I think you could use.”

 

"That place is constantly guarded, how do you expect I get in.”

 

"You’re smart, I’m sure you’ll figure it out.” Taeyang smiled almost mischievously as he spoke.

 

Lisa was definitely confused by this man. “Daesung is a sneaky son of a who likes to remain in the background, but Lisa, he’s still dangerous. Don’t forget that.”

 

Lisa nodded and looked back down, suddenly unable to meet Taeyang’s eyes. “Thank you Taeyang.”

 

"For what? I just wanted to wish you off, nothing more.” Taeyang replied, walking away from Lisa’s room.

 

Lisa paused for a moment, like she was waiting for something, anything, but nothing came but silence. With a deep, shaky exhale Lisa tightened her grip on her duffle and darted as from Nonagon as she could get.

 

***

 

The bar was full of life as Rosé stepped inside. It wasn’t entirely unusual for this place to be packed with customers on a Friday night, but she had always found it somewhat a surprise that so many people spent their night socializing in a crowded hotel bar. Though, she was grateful there were so many people who had decided their night would be better if they stayed here then actually go out and explore the outside world. After all, a packed night was always a good night for her.

 

Rosé pulled an empty shot glass from her coat pocket as she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter