Safe Corners

Chasing Rainbows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hey, Tae, I’ll be there later than usual. Jihyo left her phone in my car.” Jungkook quickly sent a text to his friend who was waiting for him in his house.

Jungkook glanced at the phone again and smiled to himself as he wondered how Jihyo could be careless sometimes.

Knowing he had no way of contacting her, he decided it was best to just go to the counter to the place where he had dropped off Jihyo and let them know that she had left her important belongings with someone who was waiting outside.

He parked his car near the building and he was walking towards the location when he saw the very familiar dress and very familiar face he came there for. However, loud voices surprised him as he walked closer. He didn’t mean to eavesdrop, but Jihyo and her mother were talking, more like bickering in public.

Listening to Jihyo, Jungkook could feel how Jihyo had just lost it right there, right then. All of her pent-up emotions she had kept well-hidden through all those years just blew up in her mother’s face in one go. But Jungkook wasn’t prepared for what he heard next about how and why Jihyo had to break up with her long-term boyfriend.

And he wondered, did Jihyo still love her ex?

Just about when Jihyo was to walk away, she saw Jungkook standing there.

No one said a word. Jihyo was in an absolute mix of distraught, betrayal, depression and heartbreak. How could she possibly think straight? But it was Jungkook – the guy who had willingly stood there by her side when she needed someone.

Jungkook, just like Jihyo, couldn’t make any coherent decisions and words to speak. It felt like as if he could feel Jihyo’s emotions second hand.

“I… Uh… I have your phone.” Well, Jungkook still had to give her phone. That was why he was there in the first place.

Jihyo took her phone reluctantly and dared not to meet Jungkook’s eyes.

“Han Jihyo, you’re going to regret this!” Jihyo’s mother yelled in frustration and left her alone with Jungkook.

Jihyo tried to make her face less messy as she looked at Jungkook. “You really didn’t have to witness that, Jungkook.”

The man studied her face and took in how red and swollen her eyes were. Her cheeks, nose and lips were just equally red. Her eyes… they just looked completely devoid of any happiness. How could one look so broken?

Jungkook didn’t know how to react. Was he supposed to hug her for comfort? But that would just complicate their relationship more as he knew he would be stepping into an even more dangerous territory if ever he did so. I mean, he had already done it, but this was more dangerous.

“Is it true, though? You broke up with him unwillingly?”

Was he seriously judging her right now? Because if he was, Jihyo wasn’t going to take any of it. “Look, if you think I’m such a for following what my parents wanted, you’re wrong. I didn’t do it for them. I did it because I knew they would’ve destroyed him if I didn’t leave him,” she scoffed.

Jungkook was sent into a panic as he didn’t like the thought of Jihyo thinking that he was the bad person. “Hey, I was just asking.” He kept his sentence short as he was afraid that whatever he might say next and whatever the hell that could be would send her in a frenzy.

Jihyo rolled her eyes at him as she bumped her shoulders with him on purpose and walked past him. Jungkook wasn’t having it though. She wasn’t going anywhere in her state of mind.

‘ their rules.’

Jungkook grabbed her arm and cradled her in his arms tightly. He her hair and left unnoticeable kisses on the top of her head.

“Ssh. I’m here for you, Jihyo. everyone. You have me.”

Jungkook pulled away from the hug and stared at her softly. He brought his hands to cup her face and leaned in ever so slowly. Jihyo’s breathing had been unstable ever since the fight with her mom, but when Jungkook looked at her so endearingly, her heart started beating more rapidly. Jungkook looked at their lips that were about to connect before he closed his eyes and sealed it with the most tender kiss they both had shared. The kiss was soft and pure – something that definitely crossed boundaries.

-

“So, I take it as you’re not coming anymore?” Taehyung asked at the end of line.

Jungkook watched the sl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter