A Half Pack of Cigarettes

Chasing Rainbows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Jungkook, aren’t you supposed to be with Nari for the fitting?” Taehyung wondered as the younger male took another gulp from his glass which had a very strong scotch in it, a type of drink Jungkook enjoyed.

Jungkook sighed as he stared at the rock glass and avoided looking at Taehyung. “I’m so confused,” he admitted, albeit Taehyung having no clue what he was on about.

It was one of those moments when Jungkook put down his façade and let his dear friend see right through him. Just like anyone else, he had his moments where he just had to break down and let it all out.

Judging by the way Jungkook’s eyes looked low-spirited at the drink on his hand and how he never met his eyes, Taehyung knew better than to push his buttons or fool around and that Jungkook really needed someone at that moment who would truly understand him.

“Why do I feel incomplete? I have money that can buy anything and anyone, a family, friends and fame. What else am I missing?”

Taehyung blinked at Jungkook twice to be exact before he muttered the first answer that came to his mind.

“Love?”

Jungkook murmured an incoherent curse to Taehyung.

“I am being serious here, kid. Look, I know you want to play around but if you’re still not satisfied with the hell of a world you live in, don’t you think it’s just a commitment your missing? Yes, you’re married with your job, but you need a person in your life. Jimin and I are always here for you as brothers, you know that, but there’s a huge difference between having us, your family, and having a woman to share everything with – intimacy; when I say intimacy, I don’t mean just the , but the intimate relationship you can share with that someone that you can never share with your family or friends because it’s sacred and not just right to share it with someone who is not intimately involved with you and I’m going to remind you again, I’m not talking about just .”

The sudden chaos in Jungkook’s head gave him the tiniest headache as Taehyung continued to let his heart do the talking. He hated to admit that Taehyung was right, but a part of him was still discompsed and a little unacquainted in the area that was being discussed.

“But in all honesty, I can’t just date someone because I feel lonely and I need a girlfriend, don’t you think?” Jungkook asked with no hint of playfulness in his question.

Taehyung laughed a little and patted Jungkook’s shoulder as he swivelled the bar tool to face his body towards Jungkook. “You don’t force it. Never ever force your feelings if you’re looking for a real relationship. Your time will come and hopefully when that day arrives, you will be able to accept it and let it work its way through your heart.”

Taehyung exaggerated a little at the last remark to enlighten the gloomy atmosphere. Although Jungkook didn’t physically smile, he felt lighter and better. “But where did all these come from, Jungkook?”

And Jungkook’s tiniest smile faded again as he recalled the certain scenario he saw a week ago.

“I saw a birthday party at the pavilion area across the bridge from our favourite restaurant. The party was filled with people and I think the celebrant was in junior or senior high. He had lots of friends and from what looked like it, his family as well. He was happy and everyone was having a great time. I just recalled then how I spent my birthdays from the past years – it was similar to his, but I remember not being entirely happy from like 2 years ago. I felt like celebrating with family and friends were getting boring and I just felt like I was just getting older so I was getting depressed but that’s not it. I thought maybe I should have a pet to ease the stupid feeling in my chest but then again, I am allergic to dogs and cats are s so I decided not to buy a pet.”

“Cats are not s, you are.”

“Loser.”

Taehyung chuckled and ordered another drink to keep up with Jungkook. “Maybe it just that thing they call mid-life crisis, but in your case, quarter-life crisis even though you’re not even 25 yet. But it could be just depression as well, you know? Why don’t you just travel, take a break from work and see where it leads you from there? You, being sad, doesn’t necessarily mean you nee

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter