the files

i have questions

     Festival day. Everybody's busy. Everybody's happy.

     "Jieun, are you okay? You seemed off. I've been asking you for the third time if you can help me bring the remaining cookies in the club room." I looked up at Seohyun who has creases on her forehead.
     I smiled at her and said yes.

     We went inside the club room and she quickly arranged the cookies inside a clear plastic container. I sat on the desk, without helping her. I am so drained I can barely hold a thing. 
     "What's wrong? Do you have something to say?" Seohyun asked me when she felt, rather than see, me frowning. 
     "I'm okay. I'm just thinking about the booth. I hope everything gets sold." I lied. She looked up at me and I know that what I said wasn't enough for her.
     "Do you really have anything to say? You keep on sighing." She insisted as she continued what she was doing.
     "I don't. Really." I breathed. 
     She stopped arranging the cookies and heaved a sigh. Without looking at me, she started speaking. "Why do you keep on lying?"
     "What do you mean? I'm really fine." I responded. 
     "Did you really think I'm not aware of your relationship with Haneul? I've been asking you for days if you have anything to say to me. I told you I'll listen and I will try to understand you because I am your best friend!" She said and then she turned to me. Her eyes were glassy and droplets of tears were streaming down her face.
     "I love you, but what you did is not something I can ignore. You were watching me act like a fool. I can't believe you!" 
     "I can explain but please, calm down..."
     "You fooled me. I feel so stupid, really. Jieun, you think I'm a joke?"
     I was about to hold her hand but she stormed out of the room crying. What have I done? I knelt on the floor and felt the pain. It was unbearable. The sinking feeling was getting stronger to the point that I want to puke. I cried so hard because guilt was eating me alive. I lost everything in just a snap. When did she know? How much does she know? Does she see me as a flirt like Jiyong sees me? Does everyone knew? Did Jiyong really send the files?

xxx


     After a while, I tried to calm myself. I opened my cell phone and texted Seohyun.

Please don't tell anyone.

     I received her reply after a minute.

Of course. I don't want them calling you a CHEAT girl instead of IT girl. You're welcome.

 

     Everything went crumbling down and the Gods out there are punishing me for what I did. Haneul was not answering his phone since yesterday. Instead, I got a text and he said he's sorry and I deserve better than him. He dumped me without giving me a good reason. 
     I exited the room and grabbed my bag on the booth. Seohyun was there smiling at everyone like nothing happened. They were so busy that they didn't notice me leave.
 

xxx


     Jiyong was standing in front of me and he said we need to talk. I didn't agree but he grabbed me by the hand and then we went to the place where you can see the world; the place where I felt a spark of romance towards him. 

     "I guess you really did it this time." I said, holding back my anger. He was standing in front of me with a worried look on his face. "My mom hates me, Haneul dumped me without giving me a single reason, and Seohyun found out about us. I didn't think that you would send the files to her but I guess I was wrong. I thought you were a good person."
     "What do you mean? I didn't send her anything!" He shouted as he threw his hands in the air.
     I scoffed. "There's no use in acting innocent. She knows everything."
     He held my arms and looked me in the eyes. "I swear I  didn't send her anything! There were no files to begin with!"
     "WHAT?"
     "I lied. I didn't capture you and Haneul. I didn't record any of our conversations. I swear, Jieun. I lied to you!"
     "Prove it." I said flatly. He was messing with my head.
     He took his phone out of his pocket and started showing me the files folder. I opened every folder, the gallery, the music, but I didn't find a single thing. A folder caught my attention. It says SECRET. I clicked it but it requires a password.
     "Open this folder!" I commanded.
     "It has nothing to do with you. It's nothing and I am not lying to you." He said and he was sweating a lot. Wrinkles appeared on his face as if he's guilty of something.
     "OPEN. IT."
     He didn't talk back and he entered the password. The contents of the folder shocked me.


this is so short mianhae ;_;