Lean On Me

Stepping Stones

Breakfast wasn't easy. 

Convincing Kyungsoo to eat had become one of the world's most difficult tasks.

"Just a little bit of toast, c'mon.....hyung, you know you won't get better unless your body has a little energy to work with-"

"Nrgh......"  D.O turned his head away from the plate. He had convinced Kai to help him out of his bed and let him actually sit at the dining table. 

"If you don't eat something, I'm bringing you right back to bed, where you should be right now. Ugh, why did I give in..."

"I....don't want to throw up again...." The singer shivered.

Jongin walked to the fridge, grabbing a water pitcher. He poured his hyung a glass and set down two giant pills. "You said your stomach settled down for now. I'm sure the risk isn't that high. Even if you do, I'll always be there to help you out. Besides, you've been eating very little. Do you want to go to the hospital for malnutrition?"

D.O weakly shook his head. He sighed, picking up his toast with a steadier, less shaky hand than that of yesterday. He nibbled on the toast, while Jongin made his own breakfast- cereal mixed with strawberry yogurt. He finished preparing his meal and sat down in the seat next to his hyung, grabbing a spoon and digging in. 

Kai finished his meal quite quickly, but he did not take his eyes off Kyungsoo, whom to his delight, actually finished the toast. 

The sick boy grabbed the glass of water and swallowed the pills down, He then rested his elbow on top of the table, hand rubbing his head. He let out a groan.

"Bad headache?"

A weak nod.

"The medicine will help with that." Jongin felt bad for bedridding his hyung. He knew that taking him back to bed wasn't the best idea. He turned toward the living room and smiled lightly, an idea in mind. He cleared the dishes and sat down next to Kyungsoo again, wrapping his arm tenderly around the other's shoulder.

"I know you don't want to go back to bed, hyung. How about we watch a movie instead?" 

D.O lifted his head and smiled lightly. He pushed back his chair, and stood. Kai ran to help him, but his hyung held out his hand.

"I.....I just want to try."

Jongin sighs and takes a small step away.

Kyungsoo slowly walks in the direction of the living room. His body protests, but he pushes it off. He gets a few steps in before his legs gave out. He closed his eyes and braced for impact, but it never came. 

Kai's arms were wrapped around the other. "Let's....refrain from that for now." A hint of fear was in his voice, for the other possible outcome of that situation. He lifted his hyung bridal style and set him down on the couch, wrapping him in a thick blanket. Only Kyungsoo's head could be seen, the rest wrapped in sheets like a baby.

Jongin sat down next to his friend. He grabs the remote. "Which movie?"

Kyungsoo smiled weakly. "Let's go classic- The Little Mermaid."

Jongin grins and laughs kindly. "It is one of Xiumin's favorites...he must've rubbed off on you~" He finds the movie and presses play.

By the time Sebastian begins singing "Kiss the Girl", Kyungsoo's eyes began to droop. His head kept falling forward slightly, then he straightened back up to stay awake.

Jongin smiled. It was so cute. "Hyung, you can lean on me."

D.O smiled weakly, as if to say thank you. He rested on the dancer's shoulder and fell into a peaceful slumber,

When Ariel turned human, Kyungsoo was still asleep, but Jongin's phone began to ring. He quickly answered it not to wake up his hyung.

"Hello?"

"Jongin, how are you?"

"Fine, Suho-hyung....but I know you all want an update on Soo' too...."

"Yup~ We're on break and everyone kept pestering me. Could we say hi to him?"

Jongin turned his head slightly. His hyung was still asleep comfortably. "Heh, he's snoozing on my shoulder right now."

Suho chuckled from the other side of the line. "The I guess you've been doing a good job?"

Kai smiles. "I'll work hard."

"We'll be back in two days~ Make sure to call us later, ok?"

"Yup~"

"See you both soon!"

The line went dead. 

When Jongin looked up from his phone, it was Ariel and Eric's wedding scene. He smiled.

He softly lifted his hyung's head from his shoulder and set it down on his lap.

The dancer D.O's bangs, hoping for his hyung to improve further.