Enduring

Stepping Stones

Kyungsoo waited, staring at the ceiling. He had to stay awake, but at the moment it was not an easy task. The sick boy found his mind growing fuzzy, and his sight growing dim. The only thing that was stopping him from knocking out once more was tossing and turning. Every move he made caused his bodily aches to spike suddenly, waking him up just enough. The singer shivered. His stomach was performing summersaults.

The door opened again.  D.O expected his leader to return, but he found someone else aproaching him. A person that he didn't know he needed with him.

"Kai...?" He croaked, as the new visitor sat on the side of the bed next to him.

"I was worried out of my mind when you passed out like that....I'm sorry I couldn't tell that you were really sick.." Jongin hung his head in shame as he tenderly wiped the sweat off his friend's forehead. "It was my fault that this happened..." He squeezed D.O's hand. 

"Don't say that..." Kyungsoo stopped to cough a few times. "I was the one that lied. I just didn't want to be a bother-"

"Bother?!" Kai rose his voice. "You're not a bother! Whenever it is, wherever we go, and whatever we do, you are not a bother. If you aren't feeling well, tell us! We're not just a group. We're a family. We all care for each other. So don't ever say that again, got it?!"

Silence for a moment. Kyungsoo looked close to tears as he held Kai's hand.

"I couldn't have said it better myself." Suho smiled sincerly, leaning against the door. 

Jongin jumped slightly. "Joonmyun! Uhh...." He scratched the back of his head. 

The leader walked over, seating himself on the other side of the bed. "I told you to go take a break.." 

Kyungsoo loked at Suho with a puzzled look.

"Kai has been in the room with you since you passed out and were moved here. I told him to take a rest, but he seems really determined to help in any way he can."

D.O looked at them both, gratefulness in his eyes. He attempted to sit up again, but failed, coughing and wheezing like mad.

Suho immediantly grabbed the thermometer that he had brought with him. "Open."

Kyungsoo did as he was told.

"102.3....that's  really high.." He removed the device. 

Kai sighed. He despised seeing his hyung suffer.

Kyungsoo stared at the door. "But..w-where's everyone else....?"

"In the living room. They're currently explaining the situation to manager-hyung. Don't worry, they'll come soon. They're also dire to see you." Suho set the thermometer down on the nighttable. "Now that I know a little more, I should probably go help out with that arguement." The leader stood up. "Jongin?'

Kai perked up.

"Would you mind...not..taking a break for a little while?"

Jongin grinned. "For sure."

Suho nodded, taking his leave.

Kai turned to his sick hyung and smiled, ruffling his hair. "Which would you like..? Chicken or vegetable soup? And you can't say no..."

D.O smiled weakly.