Deep Breaths

Stepping Stones

Most of the EXO members packed diligently, visiting D.O at times. 

The most recent visitor was Chen. Upon entering the dark room, he spotted Jongin, whom was fast asleep against the wall of the dorm. Jongdae laughed quietly. The duo looked as though they were sleeping peacefully. It was quite adorable. He left the room for a minute, returning with a heavy blanket which he draped on the second-to-youngest. Kai muttered, adjusting his position for a moment, but he was still asleep. He let out a sigh of comfort from the warmth of the quilt. 

Jongdae then turned his attention to Kyungsoo. The sick member was taking shaky breaths, his sweat staining the bedsheets. Chen D.O's hair, making the sleeping member shudder and open his eyes.

"I'm sorry that I woke you.." Jongdae whispered, kneeling down to D.O's eye level. "Is there anything that you need? We'll only be here for the next 30 minutes..."

"No...it's okay hyung...I can't really sleep anyways..." Kyungsoo slurred.

"I'm really sorry, soo'...." Chen hung his head. "You have to rest, no way around that,"

D.O moaned slightly, stretching. "Where's Jongin-ah...?"

Jongdae smiled. "You're boyfriend's still here, don't worry. He fell asleep against the wall."

Kyungsoo hit his teasing hyung with force that was alarmingly weak. 

"Don't do that....save your strength." Chen scolded lightly.

The sick boy sighed. "Can I go see everyone else?"

Chen shook his head. "For now, you shouldn't get up. They can come to you though."

D.O sighed in annoyance. He hated being practically bedridden. 

Jongdae read his mind. "I know how you feel. Hold tight, I'll bring over everyone else." He rose, tiptoeing out of the room.

Kyungsoo, as soon as his hyung left, groaned and sat up shivering. He looked to his left, spotting his primary caretaker, indeed, in a deep sleep against the wall. 

The door opened again, and the other members began pouring in. Baekhyun mistakenly the lights, not realizing of Kai's slumber. Chen attempted to shush everyone but it was to no avail. Jongin stirred, slowly opening his eyes in confusion due to the blanket that appeared on him. When he noticed that the other members had gathered, he mentally smacked himself, untangling himself from the sheets and scrambling to his feet, frightened that something had happened to D.O, but let out a sigh of relief when he realized that the gathering was not an emergency. 

Everyone crowded around their sick baby, speaking over each other words of empathy and wishes to get better soon. Then the attention turned to Kai.

"Take good care of him!" "Be sure to call us, ok?" "Don't burn the dorm down while we're gone!" 

Kai chuckled, nodding in response to his friends's concerns. "Got it~"

Suho's phone rang suddenly. The room went quiet, knowing what this meant. "Hello?.......Yeah, we're good to go. Are you guys downstairs already?...........Oh....Ok. Got it.........We're on our way now."

Suho pocketed his device. "It's time..." The leader announced with a sigh, giving the two members that were staying behind one final embrace. The others did the same, leaving the room to grab their belongings. All that the remaining due could hear was a bunch of goodbyes before the door opened...and closed.

Then there was nothing but silence for a moment. 

Jongin turned to his sick friend, smiling lightly. 

"Let's get started, shall we?"