Little Heartbreak

Two
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Little Heartbreak

 

Short seconds of happiness turn into an immediate nightmare for the hardworking bunch, especially Jihyo and Mijoo who're the ones who stayed late the most. After only a quick scan for a review, Son Naeun surprisingly shoves the draft papers of the finished slideshow back to Mijoo and Jiyeon.

"Throw those trashes away! Redo everything that you worked on last night after I left!"

Every hope to leave work early is crashed in an instant. Son Naeun just threw a bomb on them. Their chests explode with silent pain and cry.

Quick to get back on her sense, Jihyo who has watched Mijoo and Jiyeon be humiliated, speaks up to the director.

"I'm sorry to upset you madam, but it's me who messed it all. I'll be willingly do it again as you wish," she takes the papers from Mijoo's hands and stands at the side again.

"That's a big mess you did, Jihyo," Director Son massages her forehead. "Go back in that room and you have to finish it by today. Jiyeon and Mijoo should be assisting you and I will monitor every hour. Any question should be directly interacted with me!" her order is as clear as crystal and the same hardworking bunch nod their heads in unison, only one voice is not getting it.

"What about me, madam?" Mr. Han is curious about his own position.

"The report will be all on you since you skipped working last night. One mistake and you need to do it all over again!" His escape from yesterday's incident was busted and in Son Naeun's hands all along. No one tells on him so he has to admit his mistake, although there's a long sigh comes from him afterwards. 

"Understood, madam and I'm sorry about yesterday," he slowly apologizes.

They move to other working room again sans Mr. Han who only needs to do all the end reports by himself after the grand meeting is over. Jiyeon who's still not busted about her escaping feels grateful to the two co-workers who helped her out the most.

"If it's not for me skipping, you wouldn't have to rush and we could finish it all together nicely," she says solemnly.

"At least you enjoyed yourself yesterday. Don't feel guilty. We just need to do it again and wrap it up calmly!" Jihyo is nice enough to make Jiyeon feels better.

They move on from the topic, focus on their jobs and drowned in the hectic working style. Son Naeun comes to monitor them once every hour like she said, and never once she misses a point to aid the three hardoworking ladies to lessen their burdens. She's very helpful despite how spiteful she was just that morning.

At this point, there's still hope they're going to make it out early and happy.

***

The director has been so kind to buy them lunch, stays behind with them for four hours straight and leads the team to do everything, but time is still running out. They have to stay back late for another day and it just crushes Mijoo's plan. Yet she can't give up on her well planned dinner with Mina.

She calls her. "Mina, I have to see you for dinner latter than as planned as I'm not quite done yet with work. Why not you go to the restaurant first and wait for me there? Besides, it's still another hour before seven."

"Is it that bad? Sure I can wait for you. I can go home and change first. I think my shirt  is stink!" Mina attempts to make a joke and turns the tension to a better situation.

Fortunately it makes Mijoo feels at ease again. "Yeah you should. But don't complain if I show up but not showered," she replies cheekily. Mina laughs cheerily on the other line.

"Don't worry Mijoo. You always smell good effortlessly!" If Mina were in front of her right now, Mijoo's confident that the girl will surely give her wink away after the cringe-worthy pick up line..

The call ends, Mijoo returns to where she's been sitting to resume doing what she's been doing. Son Naeun steps out and steps in back with a few more treats like cookies, bread buns and beverages to keep them up. The team's hardwork and dedications make the director of the department feels good that she wants to continuously rewards them with small gestures like these treats.

The clock ticks another hour before they finish the preparation, included the long slideshow and the packages of goods for the investors. Jiyeon especially has contributed to pack all the goods the most, which needed more physical strenghts compared to the other tasks, so Son Naeun has allowed the petite girl to go home first while Jihyo and Mijoo will stay to hear feedbacks from the director.

They need a little touch up to decorate the background for the slideshow. Mijoo will be in charge of the task while Jihyo will guide her. The pair shows a great teamwork that Son Naeun can't help but has a proud smile formed on her lips.

And the moment Son Naeun leaves the room to aid an emergency call from her daughter and flees back home right afterwards, Mijoo's heart picks up a fast pace for every beat. Her world has turned all flowery and romantic scent floats in the air. Jihyo is just right beside her, so close that every time she nears her (discusses about patterns of the background from the computer screen and etcetra), their skins touch. Mijoo's heart flips every time.

Slowly, the image of Mina waiting for her in the restaurant for the dinner date is slowly fading away from her mind.

***

Mina checks the clock. It's already half past eight, an hour and a half past the time they're supposed to meet. Yet there's no sign of Mijoo showing up at the restaurant. Mina's already starving, so she orders an appetizer first in hope she still can eat the main course with Mijoo.

What is Mijoo doing this late that has Mina kept waiting without a news?

She attempts to call the girl but to no avail, only voicemail message greets her. Sighing, Mina sets down her phone on the table and takes the fork in her grip, playing with the food in front of her.

Another glances at her watch, ten minutes have passed since. Should she just wait until nine at this rate?

"Hi," a voice greets her. Mina looks up and finds an unfamiliar face. "Are you Myoui Mina? I'm Momo," the stranger holds out her hand. Mina reciprocates the handshake gesture but still looks at the Momo girl confused. "Lee Mijoo sends me here. She apologizes and says she can't make it tonight!"

WHAT?

Mina doesn't think she uttered it out loud, but she did. Momo has a look of guilty on her face after Mina's outburst. "You must be upset. I'm sorry on her behalf for ruining this date."

She feels her jaw tenses, teeth gritted hard inside . Her heart is slowly burning with anger.

Mijoo just stood her up!

"Nevermind. Let's order food, I'm hungry!" she tries to look calm so Momo goes along with her act.

"Sure!" the latter hands out a menu to the former before she calls a waiter over. 

***

Jihyo has turned exceptionally quiet in the latter half of an hour after Son Naeun left. Both Mijoo and Jihyo have finished all the works. All the leftover traces have been cleared off as well. They're about to take their leave, but Mijoo notices Jihyo's unusual si

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter