Target

Bumblebee's Playlist

 

Yerin and I- a tragedy in the making.

But like I said, that was two weeks ago.

My mission-focused façade was embarrassingly short-lived.

 

After settling into my new temporary home, days went by like they were in a hurry. Most of the supposedly getting-to-know days, I spent in solitary planning. A few times I drove Sowon to the supermarket, and Yuju and Eunha to their workplaces. Some nights were spent helping the two find more jobs that Uncle JD had to pull a few strings to secure their employment, of course, beyond their knowledge. But that was it for the trust-building phase.

Most of the time, I was alone discussing plans with Uncle especially that the other two seemed to have started growing roots in the university library for the semester’s final wave of requirements. But it was a relief that I didn’t have to deal with Yerin’s distressing apathy; more than angry words, I hated the silence between us that was growing excruciatingly louder.

The only reason why Umji started coming home earlier than usual was when the new laptop arrived. Being the geekiest member, she couldn’t resist laying her hands on her new eye candy.

“Sinb-yah, this is a gaming laptop! With gaming mouse and all.”

“Boss said that was the fastest available. Even the internet speed was changed. Isn’t that what you requested?? Should we return it?” I grinned teasing, making her hug the laptop tightly shaking her head like a fickle-minded tornado. If there was someone who made me smile in thiat house, that was Umji.

If I gave myself the chance to be friends with anyone, I certainly would choose her in spite the instances that her intellect made me feel like my sixteen years of education can all be learned in one of her afternoon daydreaming sessions. It would be her in spite the times she made the situation more awkward because of her clever and expressive song selection.

And there’s Yuju who, in spite putting effort to make me feel accepted in the group, also equally made me uncomfortable with all her display of uninvited physical affection. There were occurrences that her fondness of me caused a remorseful yearning for Yerin’s soul-scorching lack of responsiveness.

And then there’s Eunha who, in spite her occasional gut-revolting flair for liquor mixing (and naming), cannot seem to enchant Sowon to take her back. I wonder what exactly happened that she seemed to have not moved on anywhere far from the separation which Sowon claimed was mutual and consensual.

As for my roommate, her inconsistently warm personality is making me doubt if it was indeed an advantage that I was in the same room as her. I don’t mind that we seem to not have even the slightest commonality, but her harmless presence always made me feel an unexplainable sense of urgency to either step out of the room or fall asleep as quickly as possible when she was around.

Nevertheless, for the past two weeks, Boss JD, Sowon and I have successfully set the mood for the upcoming drills before we engage in actual missions. As soon as the final examinations ended, our rigorous training sessions began.

And it wasn’t surprising that Yerin barely came to train, except for that one day when she miraculously appeared in our midst and changed not only the way I thought about her, but also how I felt for her.

I could still recall that spring morning. It was cold but the weight of the air warned of a drizzle that might fall soon. It was one of those mornings when no human being of undamaged sanity would feel the enthusiasm to work nor play. Especially after several days of waking up before sunrise for a 5-mile run, we all started to feel the exhaustion. But we had to follow the schedule, and that day was the first of the many firearms practices.

I drove to the location with Sowon, Umji and Yuju in the car. Eunha, as predicted, took forever to prepare and so, she insisted that we go ahead.

We reached E-café after thirty minutes with all my effort to not overspeed.

“How exactly are we going to practice shooting in a café?” Sowon asked as soon as she dismounted from the backseat.

“Maybe we’re having breakfast first!” Yuju yelled after stepping out of the passenger side.

“Something tells me, this isn’t exactly a modest café.”

“I’m beginning to think that you have X-ray vision, Umji-yah. C’mon, let’s just hurry in before someone sees us.” I wore my hood and before I could close my door, I felt Yuju’s slender arm wrap around mine.

“Sinb-yah, with your brightly-colored car, don’t you think it’s pointless and impractical to even hurry in?”

Umji had a good point- my car screamed our identity. “Yah, I’ll change the color to black first thing tomorrow.”

“Black is not even a color.”

“And why is that?!” I could see Sowon wanting to cover Yuju’s mouth to prevent her from asking. But she wasn’t fast enough; so, she just facepalmed instead.

“Because like white, black does not possess a specific wavelength of visible light. In point of fact, black is the absence of visible light, which makes it impossible to have a spot in the color spectrum.”

Yuju’s expression was more confused than enlightened. “I’m suddenly dizzy. Is it Umji or I really need breakfast?”

“IT’S UMJI.” Sowon and I agreed.

Partly true to Umji’s prediction, it wasn’t a simple café, but it was a working, profit-making business that I secretly own. I decided to build it after my trust money became accessible. But more than a commercial space, the café was an unfinished plan of my mother; hence all the fixtures, down to the smallest wall décor were handpicked according to how she originally designed it.

The café is precious to me. It is the one place that I felt I was still with her.

However, what lies underneath this innocent-looking safe haven was our true destination.

“Good morning, what are you having today?” We were immediately greeted by Eunseo, Uncle JD’s daughter and my only friend. E-café is a contraction for ‘Eunseo’s café.’ For very obvious reasons, the place was named and registered under her. She has been managing the place since it was built and she very well knew the purpose of our expected arrival.

“Just espresso shots.” I answered avoiding her gaze to prevent the both of us from falling to the ground laughing. We’ve practically grown together and seeing me with this assassin demeanor will certainly crack her up.

“Shots it is. There’s a door to your left. Don’t forget to hold on tightly onto the railings once you’re in.” She smiled as she pointed to the narrow hallway, which I was perfectly aware of, before discreetly winking at me.

Suddenly, I felt Yuju’s arm slithered around mine tighter.

“There’s still another one on her way. She’s this short. Uhh… a bit shorter than her.” Sowon pointed at Umji. “Bob-cut hair, cute and looks oblivious.” I swear that we all heard her voice crack to the word ‘cute’ that even Umji prevented herself from smiling.

“Short, bob-cut, cute, oblivious. Got you. I’ll just send her down.”

As soon as we walked to the door, my phone buzzed to Eunseo’s messages. It’s still a mystery how I managed to escape Yuju’s grasp to check my phone.

 

ES: 2 weeks and you already got yourself a jealous girlfriend?

What a heartthrob, haha

SB: Shut up. And cut the winking

ES: Cute crew you have there

SB: Huh. You wouldn’t say that if the devil came with us

ES: Is she the bob-cut girl I’m expecting to show up?

SB: Nope, but if she even comes, it'll be hard to miss her.

Long hair, pale skin... Really pointy horns

ES: Haha! You’re such a bully

SB: She’s not gonna teleport from hell, so don’t bother waiting for her

ES: If you say so

I’ll just send down food in few, okay?

SB: Oh yeah, and iced Americano

ES: Wow, such an adult

SB: Tsk

 

The door shut behind us and the dark room started to quickly descend.

In a few seconds, we reached the practice area.

“Wow… That café is far from modest.”

Almost a third of an Olympic-sized pool, the underground firing range has five lanes complete with professional-grade target frames, electronic sheet placement, bullet trap, curtains and booths.

“Just as I thought.” Umji said after she laid her bag on the preparation benches.

“Boss JD owns this?”

“I guess so. I’ve only been here a few times.” Before I could tell more lies, Sowon received a call from Uncle JD.

“Boss called. He wants us to record our scores. Whoever scored highest gets a monetary reward. And if collectively, we scored an average of 8/10, tomorrow will be free of any schedule.”

The monetary reward was my idea. I was looking for more ways to have money flow in without causing so much suspicion. The second condition might have been Eunseo’s idea since she has been nagging me to hangout upstairs for the past two weeks.

“There’s a changing room behind you with protective gear we can use. Let’s start when you’re ready.”

Since it was an indoor firing range, I had everyone wear earplugs under the muffs to keep our eardrums from blasting. And after a few minutes of sizing up the place and familiarizing themselves with the equipment, the shooting practice ensued.

Fifteen minutes into the practice, the echoes of gunshots momentarily stopped after we noticed the entrance door move.

“Guys…! Look who came with me!” Eunha bellowed after the door opened completely. Umji and I stopped loading the magazines and turned to the voice. And there she was, Yerin walking beside Eunha toward the benches.

I wasn’t exactly ecstatic that she decided to come and I couldn’t understand why the rest of the group made it seem like there was a glorious apparition when they saw her arrive. After she settled in her seat, she opened the book she brought and started reading. Umji approached her and gave her a pair of earmuffs.

“Hey you! Giraffe!” On the other hand, Eunha who apparently took the liberty of bringing the food and coffee I requested from Eunseo, went straight to Sowon and handed her everything.

“What the…” Was all Sowon was able to say after seeing the other girl’s infuriated face.

“You described me as oblivious? Seriously?!”

“Wow, that barista was thorough... and chatty.”

“How exactly am I oblivious?!”

“Did you hear the part where I described you as cute??”

“Oh yeah? And also, the part that I was this short!”

Their argumentation went on and no one bothered to stop them. It seemed like they were all used to seeing them in that state. Honestly, it was adorable more than frightening.

Their squabble was finally muffled by the sound of shots fired by Yuju and the music that resounded from the mounted speakers. Of course, Umji was the one playing the songs.

“That one’s for you, Sinb-yah.” Yuju proclaimed after hitting a 10.

“Oh, thanks. My next sheet is for you.” I tried to reciprocate to inspire her more. Sure enough, it made her blush and score better.

“You’re making her more smitten.” Umji commented.

“I didn’t mean to.”

“She’s hoping.”

“For what?”

But Umji did not respond and fired all the bullets of her gun.

The next thirty minutes of ceaseless shooting went on with occasional angry complaints from Eunha who clearly hasn’t let go of the earlier dispute. Sowon was struggling to ignore her, while Yerin continued to alienate herself.

“Is she really just gonna sit there??” I asked Umji before aiming for the target. I spoke louder hoping the devil would hear.

“Don’t worry about Yerin-eonnie.”

“Why did she even bother coming if she’s not even gonna fire a single shot?” I’ve grown annoyed seeing her sit there with a book while everyone labored to score high to raise our mean score.

“Believe me, everyone is already happy just seeing her come.”

“Well, I’m not.”

“Just focus on training, Sinb-yah.”

“My point, exactly! We’re here to train. Not read.” My irritation was partly aggravated by the other members’ lackadaisical acceptance of Yerin’s indifference to training.

“She might hear you.”

“That’s my purpose. The five of—”

“Hey!” Yuju turned to me with a worried expression. “Time to change your sheet.” I sensed that she was preventing me from speaking another word.

“Oh. Yeah.”

I stopped loading my gun and pressed the controls to pull the target sheet toward my booth. But the electric target placement mechanism suddenly stopped working, making my foul mood worse.

“Stop firing! I’m going over to the frames.” I hastily jumped over the shooting booth dropping my earmuffs to the floor not caring if others actually heard me. I was annoyed as I walked toward my lane’s frame to manually replace the sheet.

“There’s a reason why we’re here. Practice keeps us from switching to plan B and screwing things up.” I was still wearing my earplugs and I don’t know how loud I muttered those words.

I was at the peak of my frustration that day, partly because I wanted the mission to commence as soon as possible. And with Yerin lagging behind, I felt she was becoming a cause of delay. Secondly, being the true instigator of their team’s regrouping, I felt some degree of ownership of them that I wanted everyone to follow my plans to the dot. There was only one shot to succeeding with the ultimate mission, and as I was throwing my life away for it, I wanted everyone else to do the same.

 

As I walked back, I stopped halfway along the length of the firing range when I noticed Yerin standing motionless at the lane’s end just a step or two outside the booth. Her inscrutable eyes darted my direction but she was looking through me like I was translucent. I was sure that there was nothing behind me aside from the target cardboard, but the unsettling situation made me turn around to check what caught her eye.

I was right. There was absolutely nothing but the black circle on a white sheet by the target frame. As I turned around, I saw from periphery that she has retrieved her semi-automatic pistol and when I faced her completely, the gun was already aimed at me.

After a blink, she started firing.