However It Ends

Bumblebee's Playlist

.

.

.

.

“Or you can just tell me now...”

.

.

.

.

“… Eonnie.”

.

.

.

.

“Yuju-eonnie…!”

 

YJ: “Huhh… Huuuh… Um… Um… GHOOOAAAAAHHHHHNGK UHHMMMMMM—”

“Umji…”

Although what happened seconds ago still had me stunned, and the renewed fear momentarily swallowed my courage, I was decided on one thing: I heard Umji. I couldn’t mistake her voice, no matter how faint it registered on my audio, even when it was void of her inherent fiendishness and sarcasm.

I would have peered down through the glass windows to doublecheck. But at that moment, I wasn’t terrified enough yet to forget that Yuju was well-situated on the other side of the building, and that stressing out to get a good look was pointless. Nonetheless, both of them are alive, I’m certain. But how could Umji have survived?

 

EH/SW: “UMJI!!!??”

YR: “What took her so long…”

Yerin knew. That was my first thought after she spoke. I couldn’t make clearer sense of what was happening outside as I continued, even so distractedly, scouring the room for the right closet door. A myriad of things ran through my mind during those few minutes of battling confusion and certainty. And the residual pain and joy alternatingly occupying my chest was not at all reassuring.

If you can pretend that you’ve died, do so deliberately and convincingly.

It was part of her plan. Yerin caught on and she kept it from everyone, me included. That would explain why she didn’t seem too affected by Umji’s death… well, her feigned death. But everyone else was distressed and confounded by the circumstances she left us with. I felt it was unfair not knowing. But as everything began leaving the shadows, it was more important to me that at least, the events and reasons that got lost in translation were now finding their places beside the right puzzle pieces.

How Umji was able to prepare the recordings and the back up plans, I’ve always wondered how she could’ve completed everything in a few days. I knew it was impossible. She has her reasons; Umji was never sloppy with her work. But still, why did she have to hide the truth when she knew well enough how we would feel?

 

YJ: “Uhhnmmmh… Guys, I’m— Hnngh. Kissi— Hnng. A—Uhng. Gho— Uhm… Uhhmmmng...”

EH: “OH MY GOD! I can see them!”

“What? What? Eonnie! What do you see??”

YR: “Hey, be quiet. She can see Umji and Yuju.”

EH: “OH GOD… SHE’S ALIVE!!! IT’S REALLY HER!! OH MY GOD! THEY’RE KISSING!!!”

“NO !” The assumption in my head became more real. Umji was back as she was never gone. At the midst of the chaos and the quandary of countless closets I had to sift through, I suddenly wondered if Umji has been listening to our conversations while she was living her dramatic demise. . She would have heard me whine about missing her. URGH, THAT DEVIL. If so, that’s the end of me. I had to prepare to lose the last straw of self-respect.

 

YR: “If you don’t keep it low, Hwang Eunbi, I swear, this night will be the last of us.”

“nooooooooo shiiiiiiiiiiit…” I whispered, but it was for Yerin’s cute but menacing threat. I just couldn’t hold in my gladness knowing that my reluctant diabolic best friend is alive and was, in fact, at the moment exchanging faces with Yuju. At that point, the ache from the sting of Umji’s disappearance slowly became harder to feel.

 

SW: “Yeah… No . That rascal owes me a novel of an explanation.”

“I’m not a ghost, eonnie. I didn’t die.”

YJ: “Are you sure…??”

“I’m alive… I most certainly am.”

YJ: “Oh my… You really are. How did you—”

“Eonnie, you wanted to tell me something? Say it again.”

EH: “AAAAHHHH! SO SOFT!!! SHE’S TOUCHING YUJU’S FACE. Uhhhhhhhhhhh…..”

Eunha was shrieking and I knew Umji couldn’t hear her because there was no way in hell she wouldn’t react to that amount of squealing that was leaving everyone else deaf.

 

“This is unfair. Why am I not seeing this once in a lifetime un-Umjified version of Umji??”

YJ: “Oh. I was saying ‘guys, I’m kissing a ghost.’ Oh, that reminds me, hey guys, I kissed a ghost. Oh! Wait. But she said she’s not a ghost. You’re really not, right?”

“Nope. I take it back. I’m totally fine not seeing this.”

“No, eonnie, not that. You said something else before that.”

YJ: “Huh? Did I?”

EH: “The one about going to hell and telling Umji something! UH! This is so sweet… I wish Sowon was like this back in the day.”

SW: “What the—”

YJ: “Oh, that...”

“Yeah…?” I couldn’t see Umji but the way she eagerly replied resonated sheer anticipation; it was a voice from a despaired brokenheart who longed to hear a lover’s confession. I’ve never heard her use that tone before. Even I stopped with my business and tried to listen to the conversation that ensued.

YJ: “I was prepared to see you wherever you were and tell you… I love you. I love you, Umji-yah, but I was too scared to confess. I’m sorry if I haven’t told you this when you were still alive... No, wait, you’re alive, right? You said you didn’t—”

“Oh… Shut up, eonnie.”

EH: “OH MY GOD! THEY’RE KISSING AGAIN!!!! UUUUUHHHHHHH!”

“Gross. I can’t listen to this obscenity anymore. The heck is that CPU, why can’t I find it...”

SW: “Oh wow, look who’s pretending to be innocent now…”

“I love you too, eonnie. I was more scared but I’ve always loved you. You’ve always had me.”

EH: “Uhhhhh… Umji confessing... Yuju is the luckiest girl ever.”

SW: “EXCUSE ME??”

“What did you just say??”

SW: “NO. Babe, YOU are the luckiest girl.”

“What? What? Eonnie, you were drunk when you proposed to Eunha the first time. She was comatose the second time. Me, I got shot in the chest proposing in the most nostalgic place on the planet. In all levels of proposal, I win.”

SW: “Whatever, .”

EH: “The girl has a point, babe. But I love you still.”

YR: “Hurry up in there if you don’t want to get shot again.”

“Wait, let me wear an earpiece. I need to connect the wireless antenna to your unit. Eonnie, turn around. Here. Hello—”

EH/SW/SB: “UMJI! WHAT THE FASDFGHJKL DEAD HAVE @!#$%^&* ASDFGHJKL YOU KNOW ASDFGHJKL WORRIED ASDFGHJKL WHY DID ASDFGHJKL CRYING ASDFGHJKL @!#$%^&*!!!!”

YR: “I’m glad you’re back, Umji.”

UJ: “Thanks for keeping them together, Yerin-eonnie.”

EH/SW/SB: “UMJI! WHERE THE FASDFGHJKL DID YOU @!#$%^&* ASDFGHJKL! HOW THE ASDFGHJKL!”

YR: “Hwang Eunbi, this is your last warning.”

“I’m sorry… I love you too, Yennie.” I knew Yerin smiled in spite of her rising worry over my situation.

YJ: “My ears. Guys, keep it down.”

SW: “BACK TO WORK!”

UJ: “I’ll talk to you later, eonnie. I need to go back to my post. I was doing surveillance that’s why I knew you were in danger.”

YJ: “Oh, see you later then. You’re really not a ghost, right?”

EH/SW/YR: “SHE’S NOT!”

YJ: “Okaaaaay…. Hey… I love you.”

UJ: “I love you too. I’ll go now.”

“I didn’t think Umji was actually capable of love. I thought she was only capable of sarcasm.”

UJ: “Like I didn’t think you were capable too. I thought you were only capable of being lascivious and erted.”

‘’Shut up.” I said that with a smile and I know everyone knew, because the truth was that I didn’t want her to stop talking. I missed her so much that I’d take anything even her mocking and degrading assaults. I’ve never felt so good being humiliated by someone until that night. I was just happy she’s alive.

 

YJ: “Be safe.”

UJ: “You be safe too, eonnie.”

“Just wow. Who has to be safe?! I’m at the fourth floor, you know, with more security swarming the place.”

UJ: “Shut it, SinB. Focus on your mission. The mainframe is on the right side at the end of the room.”

“You could have told us beforehand. You could have saved me time and chipped nails. If you must know, there’s ten thousand closet doors here.”

UJ: “The closet enclosure itself has a pin pad. I wasn’t aware until earlier today when I started aerial.”

“Found it. What’s the code?”

UJ: “Y - two - J - zero - C - one - G - five.”

“I’m in.”

YR: “You have to hurry up. Your position is a blind spot. I barely see your movement. Eunha, do you have visual on SinB?”

EH: “I can see SinB clearly, sharp nose and all.”

“Jesus. Why are you all attacking me tonight?”

EH: “That’s for keeping us up last night.”

“. The hardware cover… Why does it have an endless row of screws? Can I just break the glass?”

UJ: “It’s probably makeshift. That’s likely fiber glass, so, don’t sweat on breaking it and start unscrewing.”

“Screws are tight too. I could use an electric.” It wasn’t helping that I couldn’t wear utility gloves and that my hands were starting to tingle from the temperature which was below what I prepared for; I couldn’t keep a good grip of the screwdriver “… And again, last night wasn’t my fault, it was Ye—”

SW: “Yerin, do you have a view of the northwest hallway? The camera does not rotate to a sharp angle to capture that side. I can’t move it any further.”

YR: “Negative. Northwest view is negative.”

UJ: “You really went all-out disobeying my death wish, didn’t you? But I didn't have even an iota of doubt that you would violate my orders. I know you too well.”

“No, I didn’t. Why are you all coming after me?? If there’s anyone who got violated last night, it was me!”

YR: “What did you just sa—”

“But did you all know that I like being violated?? By Yerin only, of course. No regrets whatsoever. I love you, eonnie. Stop listening to Umji.”

UJ: “Well, it took only five seconds to dig your grave. Record-breaking.”

EH: “Hahaha! Nice segue, SinB… By the way, Umji, how did you survive the explosion?”

UJ: “Eonnie, I’ll explain everything later.”

SW: “You better. Babe, do you have visual of the Northwest hallway?”

EH: “Negative on the hallway. Hallways are blind from my position.”

YJ: “Guys, I’ve opened the power room. I see three pull-switches. Which one do I aim for later?”

SW: “The one that says circuit and lights. Wait for my cue.”

YJ: “Got it. Let me just move this dead guy behind the generator box.”

YR: “Umji, are you getting a clear visual on SinB?”

UJ: “Even her lewd aura, I see.”

“Wow, six words and you’ve already crushed my dignity.”

UJ: “Like they say, brevity is the soul of wit. Good job with counting by the way.”

“Thanks, Satan.”

YJ: “Ugh, he’s heavy. This guy’s all deadweight.”

“Probably ‘coz he’s… what do you call it….? Dead? … Eight more screws.”

YJ: “Umji-yah… Is she mocking me? I feel that she’s mocking me.”

UJ: “Don’t mind her.”

“Wow, eonnie, are you trying to hide behind the second shortest—”

EH: “Don’t you dare finish your sentence, SinB-yah.”

“Geez. I can’t win. Five more. whoever built this.”

SW: “Let me check the other cam— Guys! I’m seeing movement on the second floor!”

UJ: “That’s the location of the security room.”

EH: “Is it that room at the end? Left from the freight elevator? I don’t remember going there before.”

UJ: “That’s it. CCTVs, door alarms, sensors, tracking chips… everything is monitored in that room. No trainee is allowed on that wing except security personnel. Sowon-eonnie, is Yuju visible in the monitors?”

SW: “No. I moved the angles of the ground CCTVs away from her.”

EH: “Guys, I think they are exiting the security room…”

SW: “Affirmative on the exit. Security personnel are all armed. I repeat, they are all armed.”

“. Don’t tell me-”

UJ: “SinB. You have to hurry…”

“I’m trying. Three more screws. My hands are shaking. I don’t know if it’s a good idea that I’m hearing you now.”

It was the first time during that night that I felt the danger that I have been trying to overlook.

 

YR: “Just calm down. Focus on what’s in front of you. We’ll take care of everything else.”

SW: “Men are slow but moving along the main hallway on two.”

YR: “When you see security on four, prepare to engage.”

EH/UJ: “Copy.”

EH: “But once we engage, the glass windows will shatter and that’s it.”

YR: “Then be ready for an all-out.”

“I’ll get trapped here.” I knew that even if spoke quietly, I couldn’t conceal the panic that was rising up my gut. I could feel the acid whirling discomfort inside me. My legs were unsteady, my heart was picking up speed and my breaths barely had intervals.

 

YR: “SinB-yah, if that happens, we go plan B for your exit.”

“Copy.”

SW: “Yuju! You might have to pull the switch sooner. You’ll need your goggles for plan B.”

YJ: “I’ll wear them after I pull the switch. Urgh. This guy is really heavy.”

SW: “Guys, they’re not running but I can see someone giving instructions for them to spread out.”

“Ah ! Come on… ing screws. One more. I’m shaking. .”

YR: “SinB…”

UJ: “Stay focused. Once the two connections are established, you’re good to go. And the Academy will be done for.”

SW: “I think they are hitting the elevators and fire exit locations.”

EH: “They will change floors.”

YR: “Yuju, wait for my cue after you pull the switch.”

YJ: “Copy.”

YR: “EUNHA! Keep an eye on four!”

EH: “Roger that.”

UJ: “SinB, what’s your status?”

“I’m already removing the cov—”

SW: “Someone just pointed at the cameras!”

UJ: “EONNIE, I THINK THEY FIGURED THAT THE CAMERAS ARE BEING CONTROLLED REMOTELY. RELEASE THEM!”

SW: “Releasing now! Yuju, steer clear of the cam on your building’s side! I won’t be able to control it from scanning!”

YJ: “Copy. It’s above me. I can dodge and hide under. But I closed the power room for now.”

SW: “East exit door on two opened.”

“I’m in. Blue… Blue… . I can’t see a blue round cord.”

SW/UJ: “WHAT??!”

“There’s a lot on flat cords. No blue among the round ones.”

SW/UJ: “That’s not possible.”/ “WHAT OTHER COLORS DO YOU SEE??”

YR: “Now there’s movement on third floor. Does anyone have a clear visual?”

“Round?? A bunch of gray. Transparent. Light gray…”

SW: “Affirmative. Movement on three.”

“…Green. A lot of black ones. Purple-”

UJ: “PURPLE! In which spot do you see it??”

“What do you mean spot?!”

UJ: “I mean in which slot from the top?”

“One, two, three… five… seven. It’s in the seventh.”

UJ: “WAIT. SEVENTH?! Give me a second!”

SW: “They’re pointing to head west on three.”

“. , Umji, hurry up.”

SW: “Umji we don’t have a second!”

YR: “There’s also movement on five.”

SW: “Affirmative on five. That floor...”

EH: “That’s the officials’ floor.”

SW: “Yerin! They are entering doors on three! One personnel to a door. Umji, you have to change SinB’s door code!”

YR: “Eunha, if they enter the room, don’t hesitate to engage.”

EH: “10-4. I’m locking on SinB’s room. Ready to engage.”

UJ: “Main… One. Two. External… Internal… WHAT’S THE COLOR AFTER PURPLE?”

“Teal? Turquoise? Shiiiiit… It’s blue-green. I’m ing colorblind.”

SW/UJ: “THAT’S IT!”

“. It’s a screw end. I can’t turn the connector tip . I can’t stop shaking.”

YR: “SinB-yah, you have to calm down. Breathe slowly.”

SW: “They are slow but still disper— NO. MY SCREENS ARE LAGGING! UMJI! THE MONITORS!”

“, eonnie. Where are they?? Out. Blue is out.”

EH: “My view is locked on the mainframe room. We have to make those monitors work.”

UJ: “SINB! TRANSPARENT CORD! SWITCH IT NOW!”

“I’m ing trying. ! I’m having a hard time keeping it in. . Can you see them??”

SW: “Still on three. Umji! Do you read me?? Monitors are slow!”

UJ: “I’m checking the motion detection setup right now! Someone is screwing with the recording.”

SW: “Current movement interval is approximately 2 to 3 seconds.”

YR: “Umji, can you control the programs we’re running on the tablets they’re carrying?”

UJ: “I can. I mirrored the laptop Sowon-eonnie is using. I reran the prompt. Give it five, ten seconds tops!”

YR: “I’m changing my position, I can’t get a clear view of the room. Umji, watch hallway on four!”

UJ: “Copy. Four is clear! SinB, we need that connection now to bypass all systems security.”

YJ: “Do you want me to check the tablet I left on one??”

YR: “NO YUJU! Standby! There’s no movement on one.”

“It’s in. Cord is in. Next.” I could hear that Yerin was running. I could feel the weight of her worry with every step she took. It wasn’t that she didn’t trust Eunha or Umji to protect me inside the room; I know that all she wanted was to take care of me with her own hands. That was my only consolation, having Yerin’s eyes on me.

 

UJ: “Connect it to the tablet with the yellow trim. It will run auto, just secure the connection.”

YR: “Eunha! What’s your status?”

SW: “Eunha, can you see the west wing on three?”

EH: “Mainframe is clear. I’m not looking anywhere…”

“Okay… It’s on. I’m leaving it inside. The lights of the CPU are blinking faster.”

UJ: “That’s fine. It’s running…”

EH: “…  I'm negative on every other area of the building right now! I’m locked with SinB. I repeat, I have no other visual of the building!”

UJ: “… Now, find the flat one with vertical stripes and change it with the black cord.”

SW: “They are moving west. Umji, we need that door code changed!”

“Found it. . It has a steadying metal plate. It’s screwed in too. Triangular head screws.”

YJ: “SinB-yah, feel the middle of your screwdriver shank. The ribbed spot, turn counter to loosen it. Unscrew the entire half and pull out the extender, the tip of the main screwdriver is triangular. Let’s just hope it fits.”

UJ: “Running prompt to unlink the Academy’s root access. Two… Four… Five percent, it’s going slower than expected. Sowon-eonnie, check for interference on the intranet monitor...”

“It fits. I just have to push further inside the frame, the screwdriver is too short.”

UJ: “… Some button will be blinking red if we’re being detected. SinB-yah, Just one more step—”

SW: “YERIN! MOVEMENT ON WEST FIRE EXIT ON FOUR! I REPEAT, WEST FIRE EXIT ON FOUR. SINB, YOU NEED TO HURRY! UMJI, THE DOOR CODE!”

YR: “EUNHA, UMJI, STANDBY!”

SW: “Umji, no red! All green!”

EH: “Copy that! I’m ready for these es.”

“I can’t feel my fingers. Is that the fire exit I used?”

I could hear the metal casing of Eunha’s rifle move. I’ve never known Eunha to be confident with guns as she was never assigned to any shooting position. But that night, I felt she was prepared to kill.

 

YR: “Hey, focus... No, it’s on the opposite side of your location.”

SW: “THEY’RE HITTING THE DOORS FASTER. UMJI! I NEED THAT CODE—”

EH: “Babe, Umji is doing three things right now, stop hollering.”

UJ: “The code has been changed!”

EH: “But doesn’t that door have a fingerprint entry?”

“Yennie…”

YR: “SinB.”

“…I’m scared. I can’t feel anything.”

My mind and vision were going blank that I dropped the striped cord I just pulled out together with the metal overlay that fastened it. And the sound of metal, even as I watched it fall, startled me.

 

UJ: “Only the high-ranks can access the mainframe room with fingerprints.”

SW: “We’re only thirty-eight percent to root access. We need more time!”

UJ: “The altered code could buy us time.”

SW: “You can’t engage just yet!”

“Ye… rin…” I couldn’t move. My jaw was quivering, I could hardly call her name.

 

YR: “Eonnie! Lower SinB’s audio, except mine and Umji’s feed.”

SW: “Copy.”

YR: “SinB… Listen carefully. Stop thinking…”

 

“Eonnie, I’m sca—”

YR: “SINB! LISTEN! Just listen to me… just my voice. I can feel that you’re scared. Love…  I’m here. I promised you, I’m not going to let anything bad happen…”

Love. She said it in the most calm and loving way. That was the very first time she ever called me that way, but also in that moment, I felt it was going to be the last. I would have called her the same, but my mind was just half-viable, trapped in the labyrinth of computer cords knowing that my life hung by a thin, marred copper coil.

I knew there was nowhere to run to. There was no refuge in that cold, unkind room. It was probably twenty to twenty-three degrees in that enclosure, and it really felt colder there than the rest of the building. I knew that, but in spite of, I started sweating profusely like I was at the middle of a wasteland trying to withstand a heatwave in August. I was scared.

I was breathing but it seemed that I couldn’t fill my lungs with air. I was gasping like I was inhaling water. And my vision was narrowing that it was almost impossible for me to distinguish the cords by their color. I could hear bounding heartbeats inside my ears and my thoughts were swirling down the depths of negativity. I was suddenly disheartened and I felt the doubt sweep through my body, consuming my fleeting strength and rationality. The uncontainable fear was intimidating all my senses.

In my panic, I felt as if my life was to auto-detonate and all the incessant beeping from the machines inside that room was my life-bomb’s timer. I could already sense my existence escaping from my body. I could feel my life creeping closer to hell. I’ve never been scared for my life before that night. I’ve always been keen to die since my mother left. But not anymore, not since Yerin.

 

YR: “Love, don’t be afraid. I’m here…”

.

.

.

YR: “Just recall the steps you need to do.  There’s just a few more. This will be over soon and you’ll be with me…”

 

I knew, with her sweet voice, she was hoping to drown out the fear that has become too obvious through her sniper scope. But not even her affectionate tone could completely muffle the sound of footsteps outside as several Academy security walk past the halls on fourth floor. 

.

.

.

EH: “Eonnie, she’s trembling.”

YR: “SINB!”

.

.

.

EH/YR: “SINB!!”

“Uh…”

YR: “Love, you’re spacing out... stay with me.”

“I. Ah. I’m s-sorry…”

YR: “Listen very carefully. And promise me that you’ll follow everything I say.”

Yerin’s voice cracked and I knew she too was afraid. She was just being brave for me. I had to do the same for her.

 

YR: “SinB?”

“I promise.”

YR: “Stand up, walk to the center facing the door…”

SW: “Yerin…”

UJ/EH: “Fifty-five percent.”/ “I’m clear for the door.”

I stood at the middle of the room. With the glass windows behind me, the still eerie moonlight casted my shadow onto the floor and it caused me to look fierce and bigger. I just wished I was actually bigger than the monster that was my fears at that time.

 

SW: “There’s a few more doors.”

UJ: “Affirmative. They are moving closer.”

YR: “Are they aiming?”

SW: “Negative.”

YR: “Love, move three steps back. Take another step to your right… Stay there. Stay where I can see you.”

She briefly her rifle’s laser pointer and aimed at my heart. She’s probably the only sniper to ever use a laser on her target, and I am certainly the only person in the world who felt content seeing a glowing red dot on my chest.

 

YR: “Conceal your earpiece and get your gun out. But keep your gun low even if someone comes in. Don’t aim… Don’t shoot.”

I just nodded. I knew what Yerin was anticipating to happen. I would have to face my killer and I had to be fearless for the next few minutes until it’s over… or until I was over.

 

UJ: “There’s more coming to the floor. They are dispersing on all the wings!”

YR: “Standby.”

SW: “UMJI! WE STILL DON’T HAVE CLEAR MONITORS!”

UJ: “Eonnie, the program is taking longer to restart!”

EH: “TO HELL WITH THE MONITORS! Inform backup to move closer. They are at least five blocks away from three different locations. We’re going all-out for sure!”

YJ: “I’m going in after I pull the switch.”

UJ: “No, you don’t have t-”

YJ: “You know you love a weird girl, so I’ll go in no matter what.”

“Yerin…”

YR: “No, Yuju-yah, wait for my cue.”

SW: “YERIN, SOMEONE’S APPROACHING THE MAINFRAME DOOR!”

UJ: “I have a clear shot at the quarry. Eonnie, just give me the go!”

YR: “Standby! If you open fire outside the room, everyone in the hallways will go in.”

EH: “I’ll engage as soon as that door opens.”

YR: “EUNHA, NO. STANDBY! HOLD YOUR FIRE. WAIT FOR MY CUE.”

EH: “Eonnie… No.”

YR: “I SAID STANDBY.”

EH: “UGH. COPY.”

 

“Yennie… Shadow under the door.”

YR: “I’m here. Stay still and just listen to me. We will let that person go in. If he asks you questions. Just follow my lead.”

I genuinely smiled as I gave my full trust to Yerin. At that moment, I’ve come to realize how much my life changed because I trusted her; I trusted love and I was willing to put everything on the line. I just didn’t know sooner, but since that day I met her in that windy veranda, in her faded pink pajamas, I’ve already entrusted my heart and my life to her.

If I don’t walk out of here alive tonight, I’d still die happy knowing that I’ve known a great love like Yerin.

 

“I love you...”

YR: “I love you too. SinB, remember my promise...”

“We will be together… however it ends.”

EH: “I’m on the door. Locked and ready.”

UJ: “EONNIE, HE WENT STRAIGHT TO THE FINGER PAD!”

SW: “AH .”

EH: “THE KNOB IS TURNING. GIVE ME THE CUE!”

 

The man had a gun. He was about to it up but there was a sudden change in his expression. I saw how his eyes briefly squinted, like he was adjusting his vision to the light that was coming behind me. I was looking straight at him. He did not blink, even when the heavy door shut inches away from him.

“Drop the gun and tell me who you are.”

Amidst all the beeping, I heard the door lock mechanism engage. During that moment, it sounded like soothing music to me.

 

YR: “Everything will be okay. Don’t make any sudden movements. If you heard me clearly, very slowly, take your finger off the trigger and drop the gun.”

SW: “But Yerin—”

YJ: “Let’s let her handle it, eonnie.”

EH: “I’m locked on the target. I have a clear shot! Give me the damn signal!”

YR: “SinB, trust me.”

Trust. I relaxed my hand and the gun dropped heavy onto the floor.

 

“Who are you?”

 

UJ: “I recognize that voice from the surveillance recordings I’ve listened to.”

SW: “Yerin, are you getting a view of the guy from your location?”

YR: “Negative. Until he moves forward, he’s not in my line of sight.”

EH: “Target is moving, I’m losing a clear shot…”

 

“Raise both your hands. Tell me who you are.”

 

EH: “SinB is completely covering the target. I don’t have a clear shot! I repeat, shot is negative. Eonnie! SinB has to move!”

YR: “SinB, listen carefully. When you get an excuse to move, very slowly, move an inch to your left. Eunha, tell me when you’re clear.”

EH: “COPY.”

 

“I’m giving you five seconds to tell me. Five seconds. Your name or a bullet.”

 

YR: “Raise your hands and start a conversation. Ask him if he wants to know how and why you’re there.”

SW: “Seventy-three percent on the prompt. We need a few more seconds.”

UJ: “That voice… I swear, I’ve heard that voice before…”

“Do you also want to know why I’m here and how I got in?”

YR: “SinB-yah, on my cue, cover your face. Protect your eyes. Whatever happens, don’t look up until I say so. When we start shooting, glass will reach you.”

 

“I asked who you are.”

 

UJ: “SINB-YAH! TELL HIM YOUR NAME! YOUR REAL NAME!”

SW: “WHAT?? NO!”

YR: “Umji…”

EH: “Guys, I’m still negative on the shot!”

UJ: “JUST TRUST ME AND TELL HIM!”

 

“Hwang. Hwang Eunbi.” It came out so sudden, fast like vomit. I felt a pang of disgust when I said my name that I had to look away. I said it. I said it in that very place where I didn’t want my identity honored.

 

“You’re ing kidding me...”

 

SW: “The monitors are up! TAKE THAT SHOT AS SOON AS IT’S SAFE! THEY’RE CLOSING IN!”

EH: “STILL NEGATIVE!”

YR: “SinB-yah, I need you to move back, and to your left.”

UJ: “Eonnie, more men are running toward the mainframe! I think our guy has a mic!”

 SW: “AFFIRMATIVE. I CAN SEE THEIR EARPIECES.”

 

“WHO THE HELL ARE YOU? LOOK AT ME!”

 

“I already told you. Hwang Eunbi. Are you not going to ask me why I’m here?”

 

“You’re not ing real.”

 

“I’m as real as it gets.”

 

“No. You’re not her.”

 

“Ahh... So, you know me...”

 

“You’re not…”

 

“I hate it to my core, but it’s the only name I got.”

 

YR: “HE’S NOT MOVING! WHO’S THIS GUY? WHY DOES HE KNOW SINB??”

UJ: “One of the president’s righthand. EONNIE, THEY 'RE UNLOCKING THE DOOR.”

YR: “I CAN’T GET A CLEAR SHOT.”

UJ: “EONNIE, I CAN TAKE A SHOT AT THE DOOR!”

 

“Don’t ing play with me, she’s dead.”

 

“I’m not playing. And I’m certainly not dead. I never died with my mother on that stormy night.”

 

“How did you know—”

 

“I told you already. I’m that girl who went missing… with the body you never recovered.”


YR: “SINB, WHEN YOU HEAR A SHOT, DOCK AS LOW AS YOU CAN! EUNHA, TAKE THE SHOT AS SOON AS YOU’RE CLEAR!”

EH: “COPY!”

SW: “SOMEONE’S GOING FOR THE FINGER PAD, YERIN!!”

YR: “ON THREE, I’LL SHOOT AT FIFTH FLOOR!”

EH: “HE’S RAISING HIS GUN UP AGAINST SINB! YERIN!!”

 

“You’re not her.”

 

“Unfortunately... I am.”

 

“If it’s really you, your father—”

 

UJ/EH: “EONNIE!! NOW!!! DO IT!”/ “I’M CLEAR!”

YR: “THREE!! SINB! DOWN!!!”

 

I’m ready… however it ends.

As soon I dropped to the floor covering my head, there was nothing left to my senses but the sound of gunfire and the rain of broken glass around and above me. I couldn’t even open my eyes to look for my pistol on the floor. Stray glass cut my jacket, bits and pieces scraping my skin that was exposed and bare outside the thick layer of clothes.

 

YR: “—B!! SOWO— GET — AUDI— BA— UP!”

SW: “Aud— is —ack up. SinB! — your head low!”

YR: “—JU!!!”

SW: “We— just —ty-nine —  prom—!”

 

I couldn’t understand my audio with all the screeching feedback from their firing. Even as the earpiece got pushed in, in my attempt to cover my head, it was all vague chatter. I just comforted myself with recalling Yerin’s final instructions.

Cover your face. Protect your eyes. Dock. I shut my eyes to the memory of my last view- Academy men aiming at nothing and shot as soon as they entered. It felt like the pandemonium wouldn’t end, and I was a civilian lost in a crossfire. It seemed endless, the men rushing in, spiteful but confused, and falling to the ground with a gaping hole somewhere in their body.

 

SW: “Um—, y—need t­— —PEN FIRE ON THE ­—ALLWAY!”

YR: “YU—! THE SWIT—!”

UJ/YJ: “—M ON IT!” / “Shu— down lights!”

UJ: “—B! RETURN TO  —NFRAME! SINB!”

“Haaaaah…” I could barely hear anything that wasn’t a gunshot. I decided to look up when the fires slacked down… crimson splatter and glass, that’s all that adorned that small room after just a few seconds. The closet doors that were spotless earlier were now stained and suffocating with the smell of gore, but deaf to the grunting of dying, soulless men who were choking on their own blood.

As I gazed at the bodies piling up at the threshold of the room entrance, I couldn’t miss that their hands and arms had bullet holes too. I knew it was Yerin. She shot anyone who reached for a gun; she is the only one capable of such accuracy.

 

SW: “— FIRE EX— DOORS ON FO— ARE MOVING! I REPEAT, MOVEMENT ON ALL FIRE EXIT DOORS ON FOUR!”

From a distance, I could hear sporadic firing. It was probably from frightened men who thought their own shadows were their adversaries. I thought it was cruel, the way those scared shooters and these men inside the room would die. They would die in the same manner they killed their victims- full of confusion and regret of the lives they’ve lived.

 

EH: “I’M STILL LOCKED ON SINB!”

UJ: “THERE’S MOVEMENT ON ALL THE FLOORS!”

But in many ways, I’m no different. I lived my life to destroy this syndicate. No matter how noble the end would be, the means will, no way in heaven, justify my purpose. We took lives as they took others’ and that’s the only truth behind all this.

 

UJ: “SINB! MAINFRAME!”

YR: “SINB!”

“MY LEG!” Pain. Suddenly, I was enduring grave pain. There was blood pooling underneath me. “I’M BLEEDING.”

 

YR: “Can you see where the cut is?”

“I think—”

EH: “Eonnie, I can see a chunk of glass on her thigh!”

YR: “SINB, DON’T PULL IT OUT!”

YJ: “Can you move?? I’m locking the power room now and I’ll go in.”

“Let me—. AHHHHHHHHHHH. I can’t. I can’t!”

YR: “DON’T PUSH IT—”

“…But I think I can pull myself to the mainframe, don’t wor— AAAAARGHHH! ! How the hell did this get into my leg.”

EH: “Eonnie, blood is dripping. It might be a large vessel.”

YR: “YUJU! STAY BY THE ENTRANCE DOOR.”

YJ: “Copy.”

UJ: “SOMEONE’S FIRING AT ME!”

SW: “DOWN! DOWN! . ROOFTOP! THEY HAVE A MAN. EUNHA! YERIN!”

EH: “I DON’T HAVE A VISUAL! Yerin-eonnie, SinB’s other leg—”

YR: “Eunha. I know. I know.”

YJ: “I’m at the door. I can hear movement on ground floor.”

YR: “Stay covered. Wait for my cue.”

SW: “TAKE COVER! THERE’S ANOTHER SNIPER SEARCHING THE PERIMETER! YERIN!”

EH: “I CAN’T, I HAVE TO KEEP AN EYE ON SINB.”

SW: “BACK UP ARE STILL TWO BLOCKS FROM SITE.”

“I-I’m here. I’m on it… the black co—  . It’s sliding. The blood. I can’t hold it in. ARGHHHH! …. MY LEG. ! I really can’t move it! Eonnie!” I was trying to pull myself up with the closet door to reach the slot.

 

UJ: “SINB. I can’t see you right now but just focus. We’re almost done.”

SW: “SNIPER IS STILL ACTIVE! YERIN!! WHAT’S YOUR STATUS?”

“AHH! ! EONNIE, MY LEG!” I didn’t even feel it coming, the tears just began blurring my eyes. My body was not cooperating at all. I didn’t realize what it was at first; all I knew was that I could not move my right leg. I tried standing, leaning against the mainframe, but the moment I started moving, both my legs gave out.

SW: “YERIN! DO YOU COPY??  WHAT THE HELL—

I don’t know how I endured that amount of pain, but I pushed myself up with one arm and aimed for the empty slot like it was a button I needed to press to finally reboot my life. I thought I needed that. We all needed it badly, a change in our lives, a chance to actually live.

I kept moving my fingers while I couldn’t understand what was happening around me. It was only Sowon who spoke, howling over the audio. I couldn’t catch Yerin’s voice, while Umji’s breathing was everything that registered on the feed. I thought it was because of gunshots and the glass that shattered panel by panel. But it wasn’t. I was just losing blood more than I thought I was. It was so much blood that I was on the verge of losing consciousness.

 

SW: “Umji, the Academy unlink is complete!”

UJ: “I’m in. Freezing all doors and elevators... Withholding Academy CCTV access.”

EH: “SinB! Connect the tablet!”

SW: “YERIN! DO YOU COPY??”

As I reached for the second tablet, I saw the scarlet flood I was creating. And in spite of my senses starting to dull down, I saw blood dripping from both my legs. It wasn’t just the glass that was still impaling my flesh. I got shot. My other leg got shot. I couldn’t stop the gushing with the tablet already sliding off my hand.

YR: “Yuju.”

YJ: “Eonnie.”

YR: “Cover me.”

SW: “YERIN! WHAT THE ARE YOU DOING THERE?? YERIN!!”

UJ: “I have full CCTV control.”

SW: “YERIN! ! RETURN TO YOUR POST! THIS ISN’T PLAN B!”

UJ: “Eonnie, more are heading mainframe. I can’t aim. Sniper is on me. I’ll unlock fire exits. Take east wing exit all the way up.”

YR: “Copy.”

SW: “YERIN!”

EH: “Babe, quit it. You can't stop her.”

UJ: “Continuous movement on exit three and four. Eonnie, you're clear on two.”

YR: “Copy.”

UJ: “SinB, tell me when you're in.”

SW: “MEN ARE FOUR SECONDS TO MAINFRAME. You two take care.”

EH: “SinB. Cover yourself!”

“I’m in… It’s i—”

EH: “OH MY GOD. SINB’S DOWN. YERIN!!! SINB’S DOWN!!!”

YR: “SinB...”

SW: “ONE SECOND TO ENGAGE!”

EH: “es.”

Footsteps and gunfire were ceaseless from every corner, up-close and floors below. I got shot again. The bullet was scalding but I was relieved that the pain was fading. It was just that as the ache was waning, I could feel the icy floor warm up to my blood.

I knew that my earpiece fell off but I could hear that Sowon was restive. The sniper located Eunha. My thoughts that time swarmed with Eunha’s face when she laid dying in the backseat of my car.

… My black car. I even changed the color.

But Umji said that black is not a color. Where is that car anyway? Eunseo said she’d return it, but she never did.

Eunseo-yah… where are you? Are you also listening right now? Like you were on that day Yerin went to shooting practice?

Yeah… That day… How can I forget…

… That was the day I fell in love with Yerin.

I must have missed so much about Yerin before that practice…

Because she said she liked me already when she saw me come up the veranda.

That windy veranda, you like that place so much, don’t you?

Will I ever see you there again, reading?

The sun makes your skin more blinding, but I couldn’t stop looking at you.

Will I see your face again?

You’re beautiful…

I want to love you every day.

Can I still…?

I want to.

I don’t want to leave you.

 

 

“… SinB, wake up... stay with me.” I couldn’t see but I felt her. She was with me and she was crying. Somehow, I wasn’t scared anymore even when I felt that death was coming.

“Ye… rin…” I know I’ll miss the feel of her name on my lips. I’ll miss the sweet melody; it’s beautiful and as lovely as her. So, I called her.

I wanted the sound of her name with my breath… if it was the last I’d ever take.

 

 

 


A/N: It's been a month and a day since I updated and I have no excuse for slacking off.

As you all know, the story is coming to an end (no matter  how much I want it not to). I want you to know that it has been a great experience having to write for such appreciative readers. Buddies are really the best, the most patient and the sweetest. *wink*  Believe it or not, I have read your comments countless times and they make me smile every time.  Your kind words inspire me.

And because of that, with the help of a great artist, I have been preparing a small token for a chosen few who have been especially avid, proactive and supportive of BBP,  for the readers who left a mark in my terriby failing memory.  :p I will be dropping by your inboxes soon. :D

Again, thank you endlessly...