Deafening Silence

Bumblebee's Playlist

 

 

Two weeks ago, I hated Yerin’s guts.

 

***

I didn’t even have to wait three seconds in front of their door.

“Hi! I suppose you are—”

“SinB.” I pulled my hood down and offered my hand, which she readily squeezed. Her grip was firm but friendly.

“Your boss is right, you’re always on time. I’m Sowon, by the way. The group’s dispatcher.”

“I just don’t like making people wait. Dispatcher? Aren’t you the leader?”

“I am. Dispatcher just sounds less of a responsibility. But yeah, I’m the leader and I do mostly surveillance and detective work. Is that all you’re bringing?”

“Ahh… No, there’s another bag in my car. I just wanted to be sure I got the right address before taking that one out. It’s a little heavy, if you know what I mean.” The other bag sitting in my car’s trunk contained a few high-caliber firearms, cash and gadgets we could use for the job.

“Ahhh… Heavy. I got you.” She winked and smiled at me. Sowon was wearing white shorts and a plain sky blue shirt that made her look very ordinary, and for a moment I forgot who she is and what she does. “So, you drive a car?”

“Yeah. And I hope you don’t mind, I parked it where your apartment number was written.”

“Of course, I don’t mind. We don’t mind. That’s your parking spot now, because the only car we had, I had to sell. You know… difficult times, desperate measures.” She smiled again, but fainter, and then pulled my duffle bag from my hand. Before I knew it, she was already four steps up the stairs.

“And I hope you wouldn’t mind that we’ll be roommates.”

“Of course, I wouldn’t.” It was a relief that I had the leader for a roommate. It was convenient for many reasons.

Before beginning my climb up to the second floor, I scanned my new temporary home. For a decent-sized apartment, it was scarce of furniture- nothing fancy, just the basics. Aside from the lack of adequate fixtures, I found the whole layout of the place a bit odd. For one, when I entered the door, I was instantly engulfed by tiled kitchen. The first thing that welcomed me was the marble counter which also served as a divider that separated the kitchen from the rest of the ground floor. In front of it was the dining area on the right with a rectangular wooden table, and on the left, was the living room occupied only by a couch and a flat screen TV. One may confuse their place for a bachelor’s pad because of its minimalism and the lack of feminine touch.

The black metal staircase was situated just a few steps left of the door; it led to the second floor where the three bedrooms were. I liked the fact that if one stayed by the railings on the upper level, one could actually see almost everything in the lower floor like it was a viewing deck.

“This will be our room.” She entered the rightmost door that was nearest the veranda. “That will be your bed, I already made it. There’s your closet space, that’s your table, your lamp… Basically, everything on the right side is yours.”

“Thanks. You really keep the entire place neat, huh?”

“Oh. You haven’t met the real neat freak of the group. I’m just average when it comes to keeping things organized.”

“Oh, yeah?”

“She’s actually in the veranda. Put your stuff down and let’s have you meet the others.”

“Sounds like a plan.” Trying to recall if there was someone I missed seeing by the veranda, I rested my backpack at the foot of the bed where she dropped the duffle. I followed her out and realized I was too distracted going up that I did not notice the girl I was about to meet next.

I wasn’t prepared to crawl through a window to get to the small veranda but I got out safely without any of my body parts getting stuck. Luckily, three people could fit on the platform with still enough room to move around.

“So, this is neat freak Yerin, our resident physician and triggerman… or woman. I like describing her that way. It’s so ironic and amazing how at one point she meticulously repairs a body part and at another, just carelessly destroys it.”

Her description of Yerin sounded chilling, but she uttered it with inappropriate delight. So, I thought maybe it was not as bad as how it sounded.

“Hi.” I wanted to smile when she finally turned around, but the way she looked at me made me feel like I was going to get myself killed if I did. She stood still in front of us in silence holding a textbook. With the spring sun almost completely above us, her skin radiated a blinding glow. I have never seen anyone as white as her. She appeared undeniably harmless in her faded pink pajamas, but there was something in the way she carried herself that compels one to want to look away and also stare at her at the same time.

Before I could completely offer my hand, Sowon waved subtly to restrain me.

“Uhhhmm… She’s not the shaking type.”

“Oh. Okay. It was nice meeting you.”

She turned around without a response and reopened her book. That instance reminded me of how much I loathe people who don’t return polite gestures. I may not have spent most of my life in Korea to be acclimated with the culture, but I know that in any part of the world, it’s unacceptable to disregard respectful ways. I thought, maybe she didn’t agree to the new setup or that she didn’t trust my addition to their group. But I couldn’t be more disinterested in her opinion. And in case intimidating me was her purpose, I was certain she wouldn’t succeed.

“Shall we go down and meet Eunha? I think she just got in.”

“Sure.” I turned around trying hard to personify the word I just said and pretended that I was unaffected by Yerin's behavior. Way to go for a first impression.

But before we could go down, a girl came out of the last room also carrying a book and an ages-old laptop. Her name is Umji.

“Hi. I’m Umji. You must be SinB.”

“Umji is our resident hacker, whiz kid and DJ. She and Yerin are the only members in college right now. So, don’t be surprised if you see them studying or carrying books around. They’re both a little too studious.” Sowon’s tone was rather sarcastic more than proud.

“DJ?” I asked. I didn’t think a syndicate would require a DJ for a member.

“Scratch that. Bumblebee is a better term—”

“Bumblebee...”

“Don’t worry, you’ll realize why later on. And by the way, you’re the same age as her, that makes you technically the babies of the team.” Baby. I forgot the last time I was called that way.

“Hi.” I smiled. I think it was a little obvious that I hesitated to shake her hand that she chortled and offered hers instead. “Sorry, you might not be fond of it too.” I briefly glanced at Yerin through the window with her back still against us.

“I know Middle Easterners have issues with handshakes, but I don’t. Except if you’re sick and harboring some pathogen in your hand.”

I wiped my hand haphazardly against my jeans before taking hers. “I’m totally healthy. With immunizations and all.” She was unquestionably smart, and compared to Yerin, she seemed more temperate in manners. For a second, I wished I was roommates with someone my age, but then again, I knew it was unnecessary since making friends wasn’t exactly part of the plan.

“Well then, I feel a ton safer. Pleasure to meet you.”

“So, what are you taking up?" I tried to deduce, noticing the book she was carrying while we headed back to the kitchen. “Korean literature?”

She held the book up and smiled. “Ah… No, this is just a light read. This is more literary than didactic.”

“Oh...” Light read? The book was as thick as a hardbound dictionary! “I don’t think I want to know your intense read.”

“Don’t worry, there’s no such thing. Anyway, I’m still undecided, but obviously, I’m inevitably inclined to pursue a programming degree—”

“Which I’ve been telling her…” Sowon interrupted. “… is unnecessary because she practically can even qualify as a professor for all the things she knows!”

“Well, I figured a real diploma could come in handy.” Umji situated herself in the dining table and hooked her laptop to the cords that spewed out of the wall.

“I see your point.” Was all I could respond as I was looking at another girl heading our way.

“Ah here she is… So, SinB, this is—”

“Eunha…” She looked straight at me. “… Jung Eunha.” She studied my face with her bright captivating eyes. She leaned an inch forward and tucked her short hair behind her ear, which exposed her earrings that glimmered faintly. Her aura was screaming sweet and daring. “I didn’t think that our new member would be so attractive…” She continued pushing her hair back but now looking down on the floor like she was both inviting and embarrassed. How can someone be so adorable while fixing her hair?!

I literally froze and started swallowing. I think I was suddenly salivating excessively and I don’t have a valid explanation as to why. My eyes were drawn to hers. She has an undeniably alluring charm. It took a little more than 5 seconds for me to realize that she was holding out her hand for me to shake.

“Ahhh...” Gulp. “Hi. I’m SinB.” Gulp. Sinb, stop swallowing and let go of her hand. “Uhhh… I’m sorry.”

“That’s alright. You can hold my hand as long as you want.” She bit her lower lip and smiled at me and continued fiddling with her hair.

“Stop it, Eunha-yah! She might think it’s for real.” Sowon interrupted my forthcoming fantasy.

“You’re such a wet blanket, Sowon! I just wanted to know if my charm still worked on girls.” She turned to me smirking, “… And apparently, it still does.”

. This is so embarrassing. Eunha smiled again, but this time more friendly than seductive.

“Tssss… Anyway, this is Eunha, our resident flirt bartender.”

“Seriously?! That’s how you describe me now? I liked you more when you called me ‘information goddess.’” She pouted in dismay and returned to the counter to organize the bottles of liquor that emerged from a brown paper bag I suppose she brought.

“Ah… She’s a bartender...?” That explains the bottles.

“Yeah, she works part-time in some clubs. And as you saw, her primary skill is to lure and deceive people. She usually gets the information we need just by talking to the targets. I don’t know anyone who can be better at using alcohol to her advantage.”

“Thank you for acknowledging that. And for the record, I never flirt. On all occasions, I was just doing my job.” There was an explicit weight in her response that she obviously wanted to send across.

After clearing , Sowon reverted the conversation. “She’s actually good. There was one time, she got us all drunk with I don’t know what mixture of liquor. And when we woke up in the morning, she left everyone a note with our resident registration numbers, email passwords, phone lock patterns, credit card numbers and ATM pins! She got everyone’s personal information by getting us drunk!”

“Whoa… Must be amazing to be able to do that. So, what did you do with the pins and passwords?” I blurted, without a better question to ask.

“We just let them be. There was no use changing. If she wanted them, she could just get us all drunk again! So, why bother?”

“Just so you know, I take my job seriously. I don’t deserve a ‘flirt bartender’ title. And now I’m curious. How exactly did you introduce yourself?" She faced Sowon with her arms crossed impatient for an answer.

"I just told her the truth. Purely the truth."

"Which is?"

"That I am the resident symbol of perfection and beauty. That’s why you call me PB! What else would I say??"

"I didn't know you added being thick-skinned to your credentials."

“I’m just being honest. And I know, you of all people would agree. Anyway, I need to take the trash bags out. Excuse me ladies…” She was out the door in a second before anyone could react.

“She actually said she was a dispatcher.” I whispered to Eunha.

“Yeah, I know. She tends to call herself that.” Eunha suddenly spoke with a grave, concern tone, void of all the teasing and seduction. “She always does that, belittling herself and what she does.”

“Dispatcher?” That was Umji who came back to the kitchen and inspected some of the bottles. “Even if Yerin-eonnie is our gunman, Sowon-eonnie is the one calling the shots. And I mean that in the most literal sense.”

“She just doesn’t give herself credit. But she orchestrates everything. Sometimes we call her the Puppeteer Boss, that’s where PB came from.”

“Without her, we’re just a bunch of outlaws doing our jobs in colossal disarray… Are these bottles for drunk rehearsal again, eonnie?” Umji turned to Eunha upon sensing the leader’s return.

“Yup. I wanted to tweak some of my concoctions. Want to give me a hand, SinB?”

“That’s how serious she is. She even has her own formulary. I call her a liqueur alchemist.”

“Maybe you meant mad scientist.” Sowon’s comment gained an infuriated hiss from Eunha. “Piece of advice Sinb-yah, don’t drink everything she gives you. We don’t need you waking up after three days.”

“You better stop killing my vibe, Sowon-ah, if you don’t want your drinks miraculously spiked.”

While listening to their comic bickering, Umji and I resorted to reading the bottle labels searching for their alcohol proof. I learned from her that the term proof came about after people started douching gunpowder with rum and checking if it ignited. But before I could understand the connection between the word and the explosive testing during the 18th century civilization, our exchange was halted by a loud thud from the slammed apartment door.

“SOME JERK PARKED IN OUR SPOT! Did anyone see the owner of that freakin’ red car?! My god! Can’t people read signs anymore??” She hastily took her shoes off and shoved them inside the coat closet.

“Uhhhh... Hmmmm… Yuju-yah.” Sowon glanced at me with a wry smile before waving for me to come closer. “Yuju-yah, I want you to meet—”

“The jerk.” I grinned and shook her hand without hesitation. “… And the owner of the freakin’ red car.” I took pleasure in watching her form an awkward smile. “I also go by SinB.”

“I’m Yuju…” She said without any trace of irritation. “And did I mention that I’m attracted to jerks and red cars?” I’m sure she was now biting back a mischievous smile. Is she flirting with me for real or this is another deceptive skill? Either way, I refuse to be affected.

“Aish… What’s wrong with these kids? Anyway, this is Yuju, our resident singer and all-around wingwoman.”

“But I assume she’s vying for Eunha-eonnie’s position now.” Umji suggested.

“Nice meeting you. I can move my car to the guest parking if you like. I need to get my bag anyway, I might as well move it.” I told her while trying to gently pull my hand from the slightly protracted handshake.

“Oh no! You can have the parking. If you want, you can also have me.”

“Huh?” All heads turned to her.

“Meeeeiiii-lk… I said you can also have milk.” She giggled and handed me a carton of milk from her grocery bag.

“Oh. Ahh… Thanks…?” I looked at Sowon who just shrugged in confusion. “What exactly does a wingwoman do?”

“She practically—”

“—helps everyone.” Yuju cut Sowon and eagerly linked her arm with mine. “I go wherever they need me; I’m quite a runner and I do bits and pieces of their jobs. And I’m also a professional singer. You should come to my gigs sometimes!”

“She’s the breadwinner, and Eunha.”

I learned later on that Yuju’s employment has been keeping the group financially afloat since even with their collective income, it was impossible for them to survive. It was especially difficult when they got discharged from the academy. That was when Eunha decided to work more hours to help.

“Enough about us and what we do. How about you? What can you do?” Yuju’s face was literally just five inches away from mine and it was making me uncomfortable.

“I guess I’m good with guns…? And martial arts too.”

“How many can you take on during a fight?”

“Last training, twenty? That was the most so far.”

“Impressive.”

“Oh, and I don’t know if it counts, but I can drive really fast I can qualify for a pro racer.” I boasted.

“Believe me, it counts. I like everything fast.” Yuju’s words made me wonder if she was still responding within the context of our conversation.

“You’ll be a good match for Yerin then.” I furrowed my eyebrows to Sowon’s proposition. “We’ve been trying to find her a pair among us since we definitely need more hands in that area. I must tell you, the four of us aren’t adept at guns or fighting.”

“I, particularly, am not proficient in dealing with altercations especially of the physical kind. Everyone can attest to that with unequivocal certainty.” Umji admitted.

“I seriously need to start bringing a thesaurus with me to understand this kid.”

“Sowon-eonnie, there’s actually a phone application—”

“Goodness… I’m just kidding Umji-yah! I understood you with unequivocal certainty.” Sowon proudly declared. “Speaking of… Yerin-ah! I think we finally found you a partner.”

“You have the same skill type.” Eunha pronounced but Yerin wasn’t even a wee bit affected by everyone’s excitement and proceeded to get a glass of water. She walked past everyone maintaining her perpetual annoying silence.

It doesn’t matter what role I play in the group; I have my own agenda and if she couldn’t work with me, I’d be more than pleased to do things on my own.

“And eonnie, she’s a racer!” I felt pride from Umji’s magnification of my relatively unprofitable hobby in front of my new adversary. “I recall you mentioning that you preferred fast rides.”

“Not anymore.” She huffed and left. Two words and she was gone.

 

She's cold and she's cruel
but she knows what she's doin'
Knows just what to say
So, my whole day is ruined+

 

Everyone stopped and side-glanced Umji who just played the song out of nowhere. I then understood why she's Bumblebee.

 

 

 


+"Just the Girl" by Click Five

A/N: Song lyrics will appear every now and then; I highly suggest that you check them out to better feel the situation and emotion for which they were used. Besides, they’re from Bumblebee’s Playlist. ;)

Thank you for taking time to read!!! 😊